Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

simontarr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
England
Hi there,

I got a few gigs of RAM in my iMac but I'm getting LOADS of page outs. (Currently, on 1D 16H uptime page ins/out reads 81539/49616) From reading these forums, I understand Page Outs aren't good- something about the system writing to the HD instead of RAM?? I'm not too hot on the Mac internals as I only switched a few months back so apolagies for my n00bness :) Any ideas why I'm getting these? I'm not maxing out my RAM (Most of the time I use a little over 900MB of 2GB)

Any info would be appreciated.

simontarr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
England
OK- Apps on a regular basis are Mail, Firefox, iTunes, Adium, Speed Download 4 & that's pretty much it. On a less regular basis....VLC Player, Ableton Live 6, VisualHub & Handbrake.

simontarr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
England
Here's a screenshot of the memory window. It shows 1.5GB RAM- I lent my other gig stick for my sisters laptop the other day and just chucked the standard 512 that came with it back in. Dunno why I forgot this :eek:

Anyway, I've still got plenty of RAM for what I do.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 46

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Well, you have a lot of RAM hungry apps there, and if you're running them simultaneously.. well that could easily attribute to your pageouts.

However, I've NEVER had any good things to say about Speed Download. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a steaming pile of dog **** that had a giant memory leak. Meh. Maybe they've finally unbuggered their code. Yeah right.

You need to expand your Activity Monitor window so we can see the info on the right hand-side. Particularly the Real/Virtual memory columns. I suggest 2 screenies, one sorting Real memory and one sorting Virtual memory.

simontarr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
England
haha well this version of Speed Download (4.1.8) is pretty good. It's always been totally stable and I've never had a problem. What version did you use that you hated?

simontarr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
England
Ignore that- you said SORTED. Now taking new screens...

Attachments

• Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 48

simontarr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
England
There we are. Sorted columns of Real & Virtual. Sorted! :p

Attachments

• Picture 3.jpg
    Picture 3.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 53
  • Picture 4.jpg
    Picture 4.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 54

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
haha well this version of Speed Download (4.1.8) is pretty good. It's always been totally stable and I've never had a problem. What version did you use that you hated?

All versions leading up to the current one. If you look at the 'accolades' page, it's all from MUGs.. Who gives a **** if a MUG gives it 2 thumbs up?

The app name is misleading.. they cannot actually SPEED up your download. Your download is still completely dependant upon your connection to the remote source.

Bah. Anyway.. onto looking at your screenies.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
well, I'm not immediately sure where to point blame. I suggest adding Activity Monitor to your Login Items, and then restart the Mac. As soon as it comes up only open 1 apps and keep an eye on the pageouts and see what makes it start climbing. Slowly start adding apps until you find the culprit.

simontarr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
England
well, I'm not immediately sure where to point blame. I suggest adding Activity Monitor to your Login Items, and then restart the Mac. As soon as it comes up only open 1 apps and keep an eye on the pageouts and see what makes it start climbing. Slowly start adding apps until you find the culprit.

Yeh I'll give this a go....I have a feeling it may be adium because I'm using the Beta (Chances are there are a few memory leaks thats haven't been plugged)

I use speed download as a queuing program- it's nice and easy to start downloads thats need p/w protected logins.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.