Lots of suckers at best buy today

Discussion in 'iPad' started by joltaxt, Mar 11, 2011.

1. joltaxt macrumors regular

TONS of people buying a front screen only from ZAGG, and paying an extra 10 to have "Geek Squad" install it. Total of $40. I was laughing and explaining to the guy behind me you can pay less than half of that online for a front + back screen and just "install" it yourself.

I don't know why people throw their money away like that. Oh wait now I do, because they don't do research. People in line didn't even know the difference between Wifi and 3G. ROFL.

2. tegedrex macrumors member

I got my iPad from BB today as well. Along with the zagg and other bs, the employees had the nerve to talk individuals out of 3g iPads and into one the the verizon mifi or whatever it is called, with a 2yr contract. I sat there with my jaw about on the ground wondering how Apple would react to such tactics.

3. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Luckily you are such an intelligent consumer.

4. tigert07 macrumors regular

wow I can't imagine how they would manage that -_-. People should do their research before hand. come on people...

5. joltaxt thread starter macrumors regular

Hahah, he tried to talk me into that. Over $100 for "absolute protection." Yea right, I don't buy the no questions asked BS lies from BB I've heard way too many horror stories. Simply said no thanks. One person in front of me bought a $20 stylus. I bet that will be $5 on amazon in a week. ROFL.

6. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

I waited in line for 3hrs and got my iPad 2, they didn't havevthe AT&T modelso I got Verizon same diff right. I got a smart cover but I will say as cool as it is I'm a bit concerned. Many were buying cases but ig u looked down the balcony there was a invisa shield case thing stand and it made me chuckle a little.

7. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

No bad sales practices like that at my Best Buy. Salesmen were interested in the iPad and were loving the line.

8. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

You answered your own question! LOL

Many folks want a turnkey experience. Having done screen protector installs on my digital cameras, it is not for the hasty sort - or for those that instructions on an install baffles them.

Not sure of the ages of the OP and responses here... but some are willing to pay for customer service and ease of getting things done right.

There is a reason that I do most "tech" stuff on my own; but when it comes to installing bathroom cabinets - I pay some to do the job right for me.

Then there is supporting the brick and mortar stores that provide jobs and a tax base that can provide to the community we live in.

9. Good.Shepherd macrumors member

Yep. I get it. I do a lot of my own work and repairs. But I'm TERRIBLE at "arts and crafts"...which screen protectors are part of. I like the Zagg product and use it, but I have them install it. It's worth $10 to me, and I go back about every 4 or 5 weeks and have them put a new one on. They only charge me for it 1/4 times.

10. advan031 macrumors 6502

that's very unfortunate because Zagg kinda sucks imo.

11. diegosilang macrumors member

They tried to fool a few of the people in my line today into buying into a 2 yr contract as well with a Verizon Mifi instead of using the 3G sim card already built into the iPad 2. I told that guy to $%#^ off and that whatever he was suggesting was the stupidest thing I've ever heard. I guess imho, BB doesn't make any profits from the sales of the iPad but makes up for it by selling accessories, expensive Warranty/protection contracts, and fooling uninformed/gullible :eek: customers into signing a 2yr Mifi contract.

12. dallascovington macrumors newbie

What is the advantage of buying from Best Buy vs Apple Store??

I say none. I bought my macbook pro laptop from the local Apple store (after doing some research) at the end of January 2011 and the price was the same. In fact I did get lucky and the Apple store gave me a $100.00 off. Best Buy focuses more on selling warranties. The more warranties they sell the more profit they make.
    The only thing I will buy at Best Buy is small stuff (cuz we get Best Buy Points). Other than that if it is anything that I need for my new laptop...it's the Apple store for me. I just got a new Iphone4 too...I absolutely love Apple products! Should have pulled the trigger and bought long ago.

Anyway....

Now, as a newbie to Mac, I do have a question. :eek: It's not a big deal, but it is one of those, "it used to do this" and I don't know what I did to make it do something different.

Down in the right corner of the display is an icon called Downloads. When I clicked on this icon, the files would show up in a shallow arc, arraying up the right side of the screen. Now when I click on the icon, the files show up in a square/rectangular box. Not a big deal, but like I said, it is one of those, "it used to do this", and now it is doing something different. If a user wanted to, how would that function get back to default display?

Also, isn't the Downloads icon supposed to be a folder with a down arrow in it instead of a pdf-page looking icon?

I notice in Finder the Downloads looks like the folder I mentioned but in the lower corner it looks like a pdf page? Is Mac trying to confuse this newbie who's been polluted by Microsoft for all these years?
    thanks for any response :)

13. DS3 macrumors 6502a

I thought the shield application was a free perk... pfft 10 dollars for that? Making a lot per hour of work there buddy. I dont have a problem with paying someone to do it, but it shouldnt be 10 bucks.

I did buy the maligned 20 dollar stylus though, but have no regrets. I bought the ipad with art in mind, and have read all the stylus reviews.. its the best available stylus. It can be had for 15 dollars, but at that point after 4 hours in line.. wasnt worth driving to frys and hoping they had it or ordering online and waiting till next week. I saved my money by going with 16 gb and avoiding the smart cover.

And after using it tonight I recommend it (targus stylus) to anyone who needs one, works perfectly and feels good.

14. baummer macrumors 6502a

Sometimes people like to have their hand held. They don't want to worry about it because it seems so intimidating to them.

15. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

The arc you describe is the original "stacks" style from Leopard. You should be able to choose how folders in the dock present their contents — as a stack, as the black box or as a menu — but I cannot remember exactly how. It involves a CM (right-click or ctrl-click) either on the folder itself or on the dock separator (dotted line where app icons stop).

Personally, I prefer the menu style because it gives you submenus to drill down.

16. dallascovington macrumors newbie

thanks! I'll chk that out!

17. dallascovington macrumors newbie

Thanks! the cont-click did it...i didn't even know about that! doesn't take much to amaze me!!!

18. h00ligan macrumors 68030

The biggest FU from best buy today was when they tried to sell my mom black tie 2 yr for $285 on a $599 device. You must be joking.

19. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Btw, that stylus is one of the best...but you can get it locally for $10 at sears...under the targus name. Same thing.

20. impact_blue macrumors regular

Im sure Apple is calling us the same thing as we line up for hours as they stagger the inventory just to build the hype :D

21. RyanTheGeneral macrumors regular

They tried making so much off this launch!!! Guy offered me so much it took about 10-20 min to go through everything. If I got everything they offered I honestly would have spent around the price of a 16gb model!

22. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Does Best Buy still charge $35 to install RAM on a computer? I remember seeing that and thinking I could open up just a RAM installation shop and have nothing to do for 7 hours and 30 minutes out of the workday.

23. 482214, Mar 12, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2011

482214 macrumors 6502

Why do you care so much about how people spend their own money...

24. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

I had BB install a Zagg on an iPhone some years ago. I didn't mind paying them because I did a lousy job with it. I was happy and it looked better that when I did it. It was my money to part with anyways.......

25. OSMac macrumors 65816

IMO the iPad does not need a screen protector, but if you feel you do,
    paying $10 to have someone install it dust and bubble free is a good choice.