Louie Gohmert Declares Candidacy For Speaker Of The House

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Jan 4, 2015.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Not sure if I should be horrified or...

Sean Hannity tweeted: ": Yea !!!! Your Buddy, Veteran, great American Louie Gohmert challenging Boehner for Speaker of the House! YES!” I support Louie!"

http://dailycaller.com/2015/01/04/louie-gohmert-declares-candidacy-for-speaker-of-the-house/

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Well, I'm considering declaring for Master of the Universe and I have about the same chance as Louis "Asparagus" Gomer.

3. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Good luck to Boehner herding this bunch of lost marbles. Herding cats was easy!

4. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Looks like the tea baggers want to control congress.

5. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Well, somebody has to do something about terror babies.

6. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Could get pretty ugly in the House as he will likely get the bat **** vote, 40-50 of them. Boehner will have to sell his soul to retain his Speakership, which he will.

7. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Kudos to rdowns for the "Animal House" reference.

8. FreemanW macrumors 6502

I'm rooting for Louie.

What could possibly go wrong? :D

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I frankly could not care less about who Republicans select to be Speaker.

10. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

More and more I get the feeling SotH ought to be a national election: a four-year term alternate to that of the president, thus helping increase voter participation in the off years. And maybe eliminate the position of VP with it – this combined presidential ticket BS is BS.

11. bradl, Jan 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2015

bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I could get behind this idea; unfortunately, like the Senate being handled by popular vote, this would require Constitutional Amendment. And seeing that the only bipartisan support we've had in Congress has been the absence of it over the Christmas/New Year's holiday, let alone a majority of the states, I don't see that happening anytime soon.

EDIT: The only downside to that is that it eliminates House rules that state that ANYONE can be elected Speaker of the House; as in, it does not have to be a person elected to the House of Representatives. In short, John Boehner, Taylor Swift, Kanye West, Jesse Ventura, Phil Robertson, Pat Robertson, Kim Kardashian, and your local carpenter all have an equal shot at being chosen for Speaker. Making this a national election, let alone popular vote eliminates that. That would be bad.

The good side of it is that it would go through the scrutiny/vetting that every other candidate would have to go through. I say this, because they still be 3rd in line of succession for POTUS. So imagine any one of them being POTUS, should the POTUS and vPOTUS get taken out.

BL.

12. TimelessOne macrumors regular

One thing Boehner or even a more moderate republican can do is talk to the democrats and yes cut a deal across the way. It is underhanded and it does work as you get the democrat votes plus a handful of republicans and you got it.

They did it in the Texas House where the speaker was hated by the democrats and one guy reach out to him and cut them a deal. Deal was not the screw them over committees and not kick them out of spots they already were in and other minor things. All dems vote for the guy and a handful of republicans. Got the speaker kicked out and replaced.

Another state more recently they GOP had 50%+1 seat majority. GOP was going to selected one guy and one roge GOP cut a deal got all dems to vote for him and then he voted for himself and took it. Apparently there is video of the guy everyone they thought was going to get it with him there with his family and bible ready to be sworn in and he saw it fad away.