Louis C.K. Crossed a Line Into Sexual Misconduct, 5 Women Say

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jdillings, Nov 9, 2017.

1. jdillings macrumors 68000

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/09/arts/television/louis-ck-sexual-misconduct.html

2. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Ugh, this is becoming an epidemic. I guess it always was just that most of us didn't realize. Really saddens me. :(

3. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

These rumors were around for awhile. I had seen the Weinstein company logos, but I had never actually heard of the guy until the scandal. This is all sad if true.

4. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

5. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

Yup. Me too.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

We're only at the beginning.

7. edk99 macrumors 6502a

This must be the in thing now. Glad i'm not rich and powerful.

8. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

Hmm I’d take being rich and powerful as I think I could still manage to behave myself. As bad as all of this is, so far it’s still a tiny minority of celebrities that are accused of this stuff.

9. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Regardless of income or Star-power, who in the hell masturbates in front of anyone - let alone "associates"? That is just bizarre.

10. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

11. Zenithal macrumors 603

This is surprising why? Talk of him being a perv has been floating around for at least a decade. People want to talk about surprise, but this isn't surprise. Get back to us when it's someone like Stevie Wonder.

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

That's the real problem. All the women who deal with this **** from everyday Joes.

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

14. ronntaylor macrumors regular

ronntaylor

Stevie Wonder has been sued for palimony, had a secret love child at 17, was sued by a fired Asst manager of a radio station he owned (including alleged retaliation for witnessing SW sexually harassing people) and he was sued for giving VD to at least two women. This is old news.

15. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Abuse in major entertainment?
    Always been there. See LA Confidential.

16. ronntaylor macrumors regular

ronntaylor

I suspect that several pols will be exposed and wouldn't be surprised if we have sudden announcements that they're not running for re-election next year. Probably both sides of the aisle as well.

17. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

This is hardly confined to the entertainment industry.

18. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

19. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

He has admitted that he did exactly what he was accused of and apologized.
    "I want to address the stories told to the New York Times by five women named Abby, Rebecca, Dana, Julia who felt able to name themselves and one who did not.

These stories are true. At the time, I said to myself that what I did was okay because I never showed a woman my dick without asking first, which is also true. But what I learned later in life, too late, is that when you have power over another person, asking them to look at your dick isn’t a question. It’s a predicament for them. The power I had over these women is that they admired me. And I wielded that power irresponsibly.

I have been remorseful of my actions. And I’ve tried to learn from them. And run from them. Now I’m aware of the extent of the impact of my actions. I learned yesterday the extent to which I left these women who admired me feeling badly about themselves and cautious around other men who would never have put them in that position.
    I also took advantage of the fact that I was widely admired in my and their community, which disabled them from sharing their story and brought hardship to them when they tried because people who look up to me didn’t want to hear it. I didn’t think that I was doing any of that because my position allowed me not to think about it.
    There is nothing about this that I forgive myself for. And I have to reconcile it with who I am. Which is nothing compared to the task I left them with.

I wish I had reacted to their admiration of me by being a good example to them as a man and given them some guidance as a comedian, including because I admired their work.

The hardest regret to live with is what you’ve done to hurt someone else. And I can hardly wrap my head around the scope of hurt I brought on them. I’d be remiss to exclude the hurt that I’ve brought on people who I work with and have worked with who’s professional and personal lives have been impacted by all of this, including projects currently in production: the cast and crew of Better Things, Baskets, The Cops, One Mississippi, and I Love You Daddy. I deeply regret that this has brought negative attention to my manager Dave Becky who only tried to mediate a situation that I caused. I’ve brought anguish and hardship to the people at FX who have given me so much The Orchard who took a chance on my movie. and every other entity that has bet on me through the years.
    I’ve brought pain to my family, my friends, my children and their mother.

I have spent my long and lucky career talking and saying anything I want. I will now step back and take a long time to listen.

Thank you for reading."

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/louis-c-k-apology-sexual-harassment-1202612104/

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

21. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Shocked but not shocked. I do think Louie just had bad judgement, ok really bad judgement. I guess I should have seen this one coming when you hear his act it was always underlined.

22. Zenithal macrumors 603

Never trust a ginger. Or in his case, a dodgy looking fella.

23. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

What he did was wrong, but this reply separates a decent person who makes bad choices from the other people who continually deny and make excuses for their sexual misconduct, such as POTUS. Hopefully, this statement is honest and sincere.

24. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

This is what I read out of it as well. Or he is just a good lier and didn't mean a word of it.

25. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Interesting. Glad he feels sorry.

However he also makes clear that he asked. At which point it becomes sexual misconduct(*)? At which point is he responsible for why other people are willing to do what they do (*)?

(*) if he actually asked, and there was no threat or violence.