Louisiana and the Election - a cry for help

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Queso, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Queso macrumors G4

A poster who was short of the minimum post count for the PRSI area posted this in Community Discussion. Obviously that breaks forum rules and therefore the mods have done the right thing and removed it from there.

However, I do think it's worthy of discussion if only because the poster originally titled the thread as his being ashamed of sharing space with those who think as in the attached picture. I remember in 2004 that the US totally polarised before the election and suspect it's going to happen again. A taste of what's to come?

2. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Ironic that neither Obama nor Hillary are anti-gun, and the only anti-Catholic involved is with the McCain campaign, and was actually sought out by him. But then, I'm using facts, when the person who hung up this sign probably cares little about such things. Sadly, I've seen worse.

3. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

It's the complete hatred attached to it that I find difficult to stomach. You simply don't tend to get that here at election time, although occasionally one particular personality will generate similar feelings (Blair being a good example). I'm reminded of the way things work in Italy, where the left call everyone on the right a Fascist and the right call everyone on the left a Communist. Everything taken to ridiculous partisan extremes rather than discussing issues.

4. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

The great state of Louisiana is an enigma. There was a bumper sticker that was quite popular 15 years ago that read "Louisiana: Third World and Proud of It." There were also Pepsi billboards with pictures of Britney Spears and the caption "Pride of Louisiana." And then there are unmistakable signs of the red state mentality like the one posted above. It is also possible to still see David Duke campaign signs still posted from years ago. If only the South could secede again . . .

5. Desertrat macrumors newbie

The signs' comments aren't much different from what some have posted in this forum in the opposite political views. The "It's all Bush's fault" crowd. In that context, the signs aren't particularly virulent.

Before this particular political season, Obama and Clinton were definitely anti-gun, insofar as rhetoric and voting records. Dunno about the anti-Catholic bit. Neither seems to be a paragon of virtue when it comes to truth-telling. And Obama is stuck with a certain amount of suspicion about the Muslim thing; that comes under the heading of, "That's just the way it is." He can't run and hide or talk away from certain interpretations of his past years.

Crudely done signs, though...

'Rat

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The French were wise to sell it.

7. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

:confused: You don't see a big difference between people who dispute Bush in internet forums with arguments supported by reputable news sources, and yahoos who tack simple-minded, untrue, hateful rhetoric to trees (to form a cross, no less)?

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Amazing.

9. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

10. Desertrat macrumors newbie

So it's in the form of a cross. Well, I'm not particularly religious, so I don't really pay any attention to that sort of thing. Unimportant.

And, yes, the virulence of comments against Bush, et al, here, have been far more greater than what's written on that sign deal. Note that I'm not saying *everybody* has been that way, but I've read stuff here that's pretty dadgummed nasty.

Hey, it's an election year. People go all bonkers-emotional about politics. That's what people do. Hard to get excited over normal behavioral patterns. So, what with idiots on the Left, idiots on the Right, and idiots being candidates, why get excited? The same people are gonna do it again in two years and four years and six years and eight years...

:D, 'Rat

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Yeah, I'm with everyone else here, there's a difference 'rat. While I'm not going to defend everything from the left, I mean, we criticize those who call Bush a nazi or whatever here too, but to equate what we say about Bush (here at least) using actual fact to this type of thing is completely disingenuous. We dislike Bush for actual reasons. There are reasons to dislike both Senators too. Sure, there's a lot of Hillary hate for no reason, Obama too, but for those who use actual reasons, especially if they became Pres and started doing the same things, I would say that would be more the equivalent to "the Bush haters" here. Whether you didn't say "all" or not.

No, neither of them are anti-gun (look at their actual records, not what's said about them), Muslim (not true at all, no matter how many people try to say it, not that it should be a problem if he is because Muslim doesn't equal terrorist), flag haters (that's just ridiculous), anti-Catholic (again, McCain is the only one with someone who's anti-Catholic), so this sign is pretty disgusting. Especially in the cross shape it's supposed to be. Even if some people choose to call Bush something he isn't, doesn't change that. But I guess that's still the meme, the other side does it (even if they don't, or at least not to the same extent) and it's not only just as bad, but somehow worse. I assume you're wearing your flag pin right now 'rat.

Just like how Newt Gingrich saying the Left Wing Of The Democratic Party “Kind Of Admires American Terrorists” or Karl Rove saying "he's sort of questioning the patriotism of people who might put on a flag lapel pin" about Obama is exactly the same as some hippie on the street during a demonstration holding a sign saying Bush is a killer just because he invaded a country for what turned out to be false reasons that got a bunch of innocent people killed. Sorry, but yeah, I went there. Now if they said Bush was an anti-Catholic, anti-gun, Muslim, flag hater, it would be just as wrong. They all lie though, no one will argue against that.

12. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

My home state. :(:mad:

Seriously, someone help get a gig in Cali.

13. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

We have crazy people out here too.