Louisiana congressman indicted in bribery probe

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jun 4, 2007.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

AP

finally, indictments.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Wow- 235 years. That's a long time to sit and think about what a scum you are. :)

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

and LA ppl still elected him? thats a shocker.

4. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

They have a strong case against him and I think he'll have a long time to contemplate what he did. I hope that the Congressional leadership does the right thing according to their rules without regard to his party affliation. Anyone involved in something like this whether Duke Cunningham or this guy should be prosecuted to the extent of the law. I hope it sends a strong signal to those tempted to take money in exchange for influence.

5. Desertrat macrumors newbie

It's sorta hard to come up with a good story about why you had $90,000 in your freezer, isn't it? :D That's cold, hard cash, for sure...

Louisiana in general, and N'yawlins in particular, has long been noted as among the best at voting for ever more corruption. Neck and neck, I guess, in a race with Chicago. Jefferson re-elected; same for Schoolbus Nagin. Lots of $20/per-each voters went from polling place to polling place to get Landrieux elected as one of the senators...

'Rat

6. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Nah, it's his. It's just that he doesn't trust banks or anything.

:D

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

You would think one of his republican buddy's would have shown him a better way to hide that $$$. Maybe he was talking with Duke Cunningham?

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

9. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Actually, Duke's problem was that he didn't bother hiding it at all. Having lived in his district a few years ago, I can assure you that many of us wondered out loud how he swung that house deal based on the prices in the area.

10. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Dumb to take a cash payoff. A halfway-smart Republican could have shown him how to get an interest-free loan, or a loan that's never called. And, there's always the "consulting fee" that leads to a share in a shopping center or some construction project. This latter stuff was Bedroom Ben Barnes' style, but he was pretty smart that way, for a Democrat. :D

But, party has zilch to do with it. Some of the corwd, like Ron Paul, are probably too honest for their own good. Others take advantage of every manipulation they can find. Teddy K's Washington, D.C. real estate holdings (in the name of family trust, of course) probably wouldn't let him survive a good paper-trail audit. It's amazing what can happen with GSA surplus property sales...

'Rat

11. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Being a resident of the New Orleans area I can attest to the large amounts of illegal activity that politicians have been committing. Voting season was really interesting because Jefferson was running ads to tell people "ignore the allegations, they are false and slanderous." C'mon.

Old Louisiana politics are corrupt and finally being swept out. I'm excited about the new blood coming in.

12. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Finally, something we can all agree on. Hopefully we remember this the next time it's a Republican or a Democrat. Corruption is corruption. If the Dems defended him the way the Reps still defend their crooked cohorts, I'd be just as pissed and would hope the rest of you feel the same. Especially after all of that culture of corruption stuff.

But why do I have the sneaking suspicion that even though none of us are defending him, we're still going to be accused of being partisans while he's being used as an excuse for the next neocon who gets caught, as if it's any defense.

13. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Agreed.

14. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Its a sad statement when they reelected this crook, hard to say who is worse the people of louisiana or this politician crook. Both need a swift kick in their......

15. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Well, it was bound the happen at some point - I agree with you. Dishonest leaders are just that. It transcends party lines and the level of government involved. Maybe he and Scooter can be roommates?

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I'm just amazed at how petty this case is: $90,000? That's barely enough for a good meal around here.

17. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

$90,000 is just the amount that he happened to have stashed in his freezer. That's just the tip of the iceberg. See the story that zimv20 linked for a summary of the charges listed in the indictment.

18. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

You have all those Russian oligarchs to thank for that!

19. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

here's the things that gets me: jefferson has some pretty serious charges levied against him, but imo those charges pale in comparison to outing a CIA agent (for political gain, no less), which could be construed as treason.

but libby is facing jail time that is on the order of one-hundreth of the sentence being bandied about for jefferson. wtf?

20. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

What Jefferson did is indisputed and clear cut and indisputable; you can't just explain away $90,000 stashed in your freezer.

The Libby case was decidely more murky and engaged a number of people who may or may not have done certain things and Libby's alleged crime was simply not provable in a court of law. The only thing that they could get him on was perjery and obstruction of justice and his sentence (30 months) fits the bill for the crimes of which he was convicted.

21. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

yeah, yeah, i get what libby was actually convicted for. but come on, we all know the truth: plame was outed for political gain, cheney/rove were behind it, and libby made it happen. yeah, in a conspiracy like that -- especially w/ an uncooperative whitehouse -- it's pretty darn hard to nail down anything definitively.

but we know what happened.

22. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

It's funny I was thinking the same thing. Have to keep this thread handy.

23. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I'll remember that the next time it's a Republican.

BTW:

:D

Edit: Anyone see how Fox accidentally put up a pic of the wrong Congressman, John Conyers, instead of this knucklehead? At least they apologized this time. Kinda.

24. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I seriously doubt he'll not do time:

"Two of Jefferson's associates have already struck plea bargains with prosecutors and have been sentenced.

Brett Pfeffer, a former congressional aide, admitted soliciting bribes on Jefferson's behalf and was sentenced to eight years in prison.

Another Jefferson associate, Louisville, Kentucky, telecommunications executive Vernon Jackson, pleaded guilty to paying between $400,000 and $1 million in bribes to Jefferson in exchange for his assistance securing business deals in Nigeria and other African nations. Jackson was sentenced to more than seven years in prison.

Both Pfeffer and Jackson agreed to cooperate in the case against Jefferson in exchanges for their pleas."

'Rat

25. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Because he was convicted of perjury, not outing a CIA agent. Someone else perjured himself some 8 years ago or so but didn't serve any jail time at all, but his name eludes me at the moment...:rolleyes: