Louisiana House Votes To Keep Same-Sex Relations Illegal

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iBlazed, Apr 16, 2014.

1. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Unbelievable, they don't even care that it's illegal to enforce this law, they keep it on the books anyway just to prove a point. Yeah, Republicans care so much about jobs. Job Marriage, Jobortion, Jobghazi, and Jobamacare. Traitors.

Link

2. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

STATES RIGHTS!! to be prejudice, ignorant, and bigoted.

3. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

The best part is they're not even allowed to enforce it, the Supreme Court invalidated all laws like this a decade ago.

4. vega07 macrumors 65816

5. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Yeah when I first saw the headline the first thing I had to do was check if it's satire. The sad reality about today's GOP is that many things they do and say today actually sound like satire, but they're for real....

6. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Make voters focus on an irrelevant law and they wont notice the relevant ones that you shouldn't or didn't pass.

7. Arran, Apr 16, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2014

Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Yeah, but it's a crowd-pleaser.

And the crowd cheers them on, gormlessly, while their elected officials piss away their tax dollars on political theater.

And then they re-elect them!

8. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Nope! It's just the South.

9. zin macrumors 6502

How can Louisiana enforce a law if it has already been deemed unconstitutional? This surely is an easy win if somebody takes the State to court.

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Probably because they want it to be challenged so they have a nice wedge issue for campaigning. Gotta feed that ignorant base.

11. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Can you even challenge an issue that SCOTUS already gave their final ruling on? It's illegal to even enforce this law, so I'm not sure who would even challenge it. And even if there was a challenge (again) and the plaintiff won (again), it still wouldn't automatically remove the law from the books. It would just make it unenforcable, as it already is.

12. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I don't even think they'd need a court challenge to rile up the stupid base. "Look at them there secular progressives trying to repeal laws that protect morality and children!" is all that will be needed to get these ignorant rednecks fired up.

13. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Yes you can. What do you think Brown vs the Board of Edu was? It was SCOTUS overturning their own ruling on separate, but equal.

14. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

How is it that social progress always passes over the same regions time and time again?

----------

Yeah, but in this case SCOTUS already ruled on this once in 1987 and overturned their own ruling already in 2003. I doubt they would take the issue up again without just issuing a statement that their previous ruling is law of the land. I mean, by that logic every time the SCOTUS overturns an unconstitutional law they can just pass a new similar law and enforce it until SCOTUS overturns it again. At some point lawmakers need to be forced to comply with the court order.

15. edk99 macrumors 6502a

So what is your opinion of Colorado and Washington ignoring federal law that says Marijuana is illegal?

16. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

How is that similar to a Supreme Court ruling on an unconstitutional law? One example is a conflict between state and federal law, the other example is a state doing something that has already been determined to be a blatant violation of the Constitution by the highest court in the land having nothing to do with federal law.

17. chown33 macrumors 604

I see it basically as "civil disobedience". If the people, and the State itself, are willing to accept the consequences, then that's their choice, freely made.

I see drug laws as fundamentally different from basic Constitutional questions. Even when alcohol was outlawed by a Constitutional Amendment, there were exceptions to it. I think it was also a good example of how not to solve social problems by Constitutional Amendment.

18. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

According to Constitutional Neanderthals, the Constitution says nothing about National Health Care, although I'd use the "well being" clause as grounds for such a program. :)