Louisiana Judge Rules That Violent Felons Have Gun Rights Too

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LIVEFRMNYC, Apr 10, 2013.

1. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I'll sit back while they kill each other. Eventually they will all be gone.

3. iMikeT macrumors 68020

Reading the title of this just makes sick to my stomach to the point where I want to throw up. Are people going insane?

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I'm sure they also think they should have their voting rights restored, right? :rolleyes:

5. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Would it were true.

Unfortunately, these folks have a tendency to mate and reproduce more of their ilk. They pass along the Incredibly Stupid Gene, and support it with wonderful training.

I fear it's a losing battle...:(

6. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

Actually they do, after time served. Others states too. Which IMO, I agree on that.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

8. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

That's a violent felon?

9. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

Seems just as violent as someone who robs a bank with a paper note.

Why let anyone convicted of burglary carry weapons. That's like adding fuel to the fire.

The thread title really represents what the Judge has stated ...............

10. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure how any Constitutionally guaranteed freedoms are taken away from people who have supposedly "paid their debt" to society. Where in the Constitution is that allowed? How is it that some protections can be taken way without taking them all away?

11. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

Two words ....... State Laws.

12. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

State law cannot trump the Constitution. That's what the judge in Louisiana is telling us, and he's right.

13. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

And yet, we have republicans in state governments all over the place trying to outlaw abortions, gay marriage, minority voting, etc...

14. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

But they can set regulations. I admit, it's a fine line in plenty of situations.

15. anonymouslurker macrumors regular

And Democrats trying to legalize marijuana.

16. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

As well both sides should. Why on earth shouldn't we revisit a drug war that has clearly failed and is propping up cartels in south america? Seriously, that's all you have in response? :rolleyes:

17. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

But you see, it's like a buffet. You pick Federalism or States Rights depending on your agenda.

18. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Not me. That is a critique that can only be applied to those on the right, or who claim to be "libertarian" because they don't want to admit they always vote republican.

19. anonymouslurker macrumors regular

Only trying to show some balance to your constant Republican bashing. Both sides do what you were trying to show as an example.

I'm not against legalization at all.

20. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Not exactly balance when Democrats are pushing for something that experts suggest would be best, and the majority of Americans favor, and anecdotelly has proven to be a success everywhere it has been tried... compared to Republicans who are trying to prevent progress on issues related to social equality and freedoms.

21. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

By definition, conservatives are against or very cautious (slow) to change.

22. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Yeah, I know. Unfortunately, that is preventing progress on issues we basically agree on.

(edit) That being said, I could respect and understand a political view of circumspection and caution. The problem is that is not what we are dealing with. Today's repubilcans aren't about caution or patience, they are about right-wing, fundamentalist, Christian ideals as pushed by the religious extremists who have taken over a huge chunk of their party. If not them, they are acting based on the financial whims of the incredibly wealthy individuals and corporations that fund their campaigns.

23. anonymouslurker macrumors regular

I actually agree!

I was hoping that after losing in November, the party in general would recognize the spiral down the drain, and abandon or at least start to relax some of those platforms.

No such luck.

24. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I think the GOP has a lot of great ideas and can bring a level of moderation to governance, but they aren't that party anymore. They are extremists who have become determined to insist on their way or nothing. They have become worse than the dictators in countries they invaded.

25. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I wouldn't exactly say the GOP is worse than the Taliban and Saddam Hussein..... They haven't tried to kill people who disagree with them, use chemical agents, etc.......

And I disagree with this decision. People who have raped, killed, etc should not be able to own guns.