Louisiana Republicans pushing to make bible state book.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, Apr 11, 2014.

1. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

Of course we are not promoting Christianity no no no. but no only the KJV bible and no other holy books. These idiots are so stupid and desperate to force everyone to believe like they do.
    http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/04/11 ... tate-book/
    Louisiana Republicans are pushing forward with a plan to force Christianity upon everyone in the state. In a move that blatantly violates the Establishment Clause of the Constitution, the GOP is advancing a bill that would name the Bible the state book.

HB 503 endorses a specific religion by declaring the Bible the Louisiana state book
    HB 503 is a slap in the faces of all Louisiana residents who aren’t Christians. The bill is an effort to officially make the Bible the state book. On Thursday, the House Committee on Municipal, Parochial and Cultural Affairs voted 8-5 to advance it to the full House.

The measure is sponsored by GOP state Rep. Thomas Carmody who claims that the effort isn’t an offensive violation of religious liberty.

“This is not about establishing an official religion,” he said during debate on the bill. “It’s not to the exclusion of anyone else’s sacred literature.”

2. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Nothing unconstitutional to see here, move along folks...

3. steve knight thread starter Suspended

steve knight

I wonder if they really do think they are not pushing their brand of Christianity or if they think people will be too stupid to catch it?

4. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

You overestimate the intelligence of some people in this country. We're talking about a country where some people think Jesus rode a dinosaur and wrote the manifest destiny.

The fact that this is a blatant violation of where the constitution specifically and literally bans this type of law is totally irrelevant to some people. It's disgusting.

5. steve knight thread starter Suspended

steve knight

I know my bad. I keep thinking they are functioning humans.

6. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

The basic tenants of the U.S. are under attack.... and you see, they'll scream States Rights to subvert the Constitution. Will be interesting to see if it passes and what the SCOTUS does with it. Maybe if they allow it, in their wisdom they will start taxing churches. Based on the politicization of churchs, it's about time they do that anyway.

7. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

They want the state or SCOTUS to reject it. That gives them an imaginary oppressor they can use to drum up votes. When they get the votes, they use the power to their own ends. They may not even be religious.

Old trick.

8. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

This is one of the reasons I left the Republican Party. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why the Republican Party is loosing many national elections. Plus their attitude is looking more and more as the "do as a say not as I do" kind of people.

9. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Which version(s) of the Bible? In which language(s)? Are they going to make people learn Greek and Latin? That might be kind of cool. I wonder if they are going to include the collected works of William Shakespeare? A lot of people mistake quotations from Shakespeare as being from the KJV.

More seriously, when I was a kid, we thought that the Declaration of Independence, Federalist Papers, Constitution, and Bill of Rights constituted a kind of national book.

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

But that national book did not include any proscription against the gay. Serious omission, only to be corrected by using the words of 2,000 year old foreign books.