Louisiana State of Emergency - Coastline Disappearing

belvdr

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
No longer logging into MR
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/04/20/524896256/louisianas-governor-declares-state-of-emergency-over-disappearing-coastline

It says they are losing about a football field of coastline every hour. That's the equivalent of roughly 57,600 square feet, 5351 square meters, or 1.3 acres.

My math isn't any good on Friday anymore, but this is an alarmingly fast rate for coastline to be eroding.

it also makes me wonder, why Texas, Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida haven't done the same. Is it only eroding Louisiana at that rate?

belvdr

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
No longer logging into MR
Wow, can't ask for more thought than that. /s

On that note, it's obvious I shouldn't have returned to this section of the forums. Good luck "discussing" topics here.

Desertrat

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2003
Terlingua, Texas
Beach erosion along the Texas coast has been going on for decades. At one time there was a beach area beyond the Galveston seawall, and you could drive directly onto the beach at the end of the seawall. That ended in the 1970s. Similarly on down the coast toward Brownsville. Many photos of houses which once were beachfront that finally were destroyed by normal wave action as the beach eroded and the new shoreline was behind the house.

The Corps of Engineers has pumped beaucoup sand to the beach at Miami Beach. Similar problem at Lido Key at
Sarasota, Florida.

In the Gulf of Mexico, the Stream moves clockwise along the shore at about three miles per hour. Doesn't sound like much, but it's quite erosive.

d4rkc4sm

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2011
when this climate change/warming gets really bad and lots of people get displaced, there's going to be a violent uprising. i'm talking political revolution, killings on the street, general mayhem. a new order will rise. laws will be enacted that will retroactively charge those climate deniers with high crimes. their online activities will be searched and tracked, and if found guilty, will be prosecuted and executed.

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
when this climate change/warming gets really bad and lots of people get displaced, there's going to be a violent uprising. i'm talking political revolution, killings on the street, general mayhem. a new order will rise. laws will be enacted that will retroactively charge those climate deniers with high crimes. their online activities will be searched and tracked, and if found guilty, will be prosecuted and executed.
Intriguing synopsis. When is the book coming out?

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
Tell them it's climate change and they'll say no such thing exists. Thus this is the hand of god giving them a message. The message being that they've been idiots for decades. It gets harder and harder for me to feel sorry for people like that. The ones who will rail against X and then Y happens and they must inquire about Z and thus it takes them to receiving the benefits or whatnot that X offered.

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
The people who would enact laws punishing climate deniers will be too busy pissing their pants crying under a desk to be in charge in this violent new era.

Reactions: BoneDaddy

Chew Toy McCoy

macrumors regular
May 13, 2016
Can't we grab some pussies to fix this issue?

NOTE: I was told and I read in the site feedback forums that I should not circumvent the profanity filter and to just type the word and let the filter do its job.
We'll have coal miners build a wall to control the Gulf of Mexicans.

Reactions: AlliFlowers

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/04/20/524896256/louisianas-governor-declares-state-of-emergency-over-disappearing-coastline

It says they are losing about a football field of coastline every hour. That's the equivalent of roughly 57,600 square feet, 5351 square meters, or 1.3 acres.

My math isn't any good on Friday anymore, but this is an alarmingly fast rate for coastline to be eroding.

it also makes me wonder, why Texas, Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida haven't done the same. Is it only eroding Louisiana at that rate?
I was told by friend in N.O. how his neighborhood is dissolving around him.
He had to move inland.

The reason is MAN.
  • They dredged the river,
  • cleaned out the Achaffalya river
  • Dug channels for oil pipes
  • Mined salt under the short.
  • And just general digging.
When Lake Ponchetrane breaks into the Gulf, the erosion will only accelerate.
N.O. will become an island.

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
M<ost of coastal Louisiana was created by the Mississippi river washing silt to constantly create new deltas and sub-deltas; while allowing older ones to erode away over time, in a cycle pattern. Once we built levees and started dredging channels - that process broke down.

Climate-changed sea-level rise will simply accelerate the process, as will the destructive power of hurricanes.