Louisiana teachers brag about pushing creationism on kids

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Apr 22, 2015.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I guess we should just tolerate this behavior since they're 'deeply held beliefs' for these so-called science teachers.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/04/lou...tm_campaign=Feed:+TheRawStory+(The+Raw+Story)

2. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

It's just disgusting how they're so proud of promoting intellectual inferiority. They're dumbing down these kids and loving every second of it. And they're actually delusional enough to think they're "destroying" a theory accepted by most of the scientific community by lying to a bunch of teens. These people are trash.

3. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

Things like this make me glad I've never been near the South. Poor kids.

4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

5. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

When I was in high school almost 10 years ago now we were not allowed to discuss creationism OR evolution.

In my opinion I think it's okay to teach it as long as you show BOTH sides. Expose kids to both sides and let them make a choice on what they believe.

I personally believe bits of both sides.

6. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

When somebody explains convincingly the wisdom of routing the urinary tract through the middle of the prostate gland I might take intelligent design and creationism seriously. Until then...

7. Meister Suspended

Meister

Thanks. I didn't expect an intelligent post here. :)

But let's forget about that and go back to the usual my "science is better than your science" mumbo jumbo.

8. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Both sides? one is sicence based on facts and evidence one is based on a 2000 story one of thousands. so are you willing to teach all of the ways the world was supposed to come into being?

----------

or animals that have to eat their own poop to get their nutrients. or the 1500 different species of animals that practice homosexuality. sheep are a great example 1 in 10 rams are fully homosexual and never breed with fertile females.
    but it does show how little effort god put into making humans he screwed them up from the start and forgot to read humans for dummies before writing the bible.

9. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

[​IMG]

10. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Problem is there is no science behind creationism. It's a fairytale for people who can't wrap their small minds around science.

11. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

12. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

I'm not here to debate either which way, everybody is entitled to think what they want with regards to each stance. I just feel like we should expose kids to both sides. Some people think creationism is where it is others believe its evolution. How is that not two sides? Who cares that one is based up on stories, it's still a point A LOT of people believe. I see nothing wrong with exposing kids to both. They are going to hear about it eventually somewhere.

I'm failing to see your issue with what I said apparently.I also don't understand how someone can think there isn't 2 sides to this. If there wasn't we wouldn't have this debate now would we?

13. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Nothing says you can't be spiritual, but science is for school, and religion is for church otherwise for equal time, you'll need a quantum theory discussion in Sunday School.

For kids in school who are not going to Church, they don't need the indoctrination, but could widen their horizons by reading A Song of Fire and Ice, where they can learn about The Seven, The Lord of Light, The Many Faced God, The Drowned God, and others, all found in some thick books, not unlike the Bible. ;)

14. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

That's like presenting two sides to the theory of gravity. I'm sure you'll find a few people who will tell you gravity doesn't exist. Maybe we should also present two sides of what the sum of 2+2 is. Most agree it's 4, but some people might feel differently.

15. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

I didn't know there were people that didn't think gravity exists. :confused:

I think we all can agree that evolution and creationism are a bit different from your examples. Surely everybody can doubt something but to deny that these two aren't major points between people who believe in science and people who believe in some magical fairy guy is silly.

16. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Creationism isn't science, therefore has ZERO place in the "science class room". It doesn't matter if you or anyone else believe in bits of both, science belongs in the science class room and myth doesn't.

17. chabig macrumors 68040

Should we do the same with math? Let them debate whether 2 + 2 really does equal four. Teach "both" sides and let them choose what to believe?

I think not. Evolution is supported by the scientific method. Creationism is supposed to be believed because someone says so, without evidence. It's not a choice between equally valid ideas.

18. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

You know damn well the argument isn't anything about that. There is no science in creationism so your argument holds zero standing.

19. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Not really, one is a commonly accepted theory in the scientific community and is based on a lot of evidence. The other one isn't based on anything other than religion and a distrust of science, it shouldn't be taught in a science classroom.

20. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

How are they different?

You don't teach fairy tales in science class, or any other class, for that matter.

21. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

Fair enough. I can support this.

22. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Then teach the "other side" in church or mythology class. The idea that we should teach a non-science view of nature in a science class room is asinine. Exactly who's "other side" should we teach or should we limit it to just the "Christian" view? Cause when it comes to mythological creation views, Christian "creationism" is far from the only one.

http://listverse.com/2014/01/11/10-creation-myths-as-strange-as-the-bible/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_creation_myths

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/creation-stories-for-different-religions.html

If your argument is to teach the "other side", I hope you're just as open to teach all of those "other" sides.

23. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

There are christian scientists that are desperate to prove creationism is science. But they think that if they think of something they don't have to back it up with proof. As long as they think of it it is valid.

24. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

I see no problem with it. As a student you are there to learn. If that means learning about all different kinds of ways we came to be so be it. As long as a teacher isn't pushing an agenda and is keeping it as broad as possible I don't see the big deal. Obviously the teacher mentioned in the OP is pushing some type of religious agenda and that is wrong that should be saved for church.

For what it is worth I am not an overtly religious person but I can respect the fact that there are people that have different views no matter how silly or off base they may be. In my opinion of course!

Just my 2 cents.

25. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Which is why the Church or a mythology or theology class is more then the fitting place to teach ideas and views that don't conflict with other subjects. You wouldn't teach shop class in the English class room, we shouldn't teach non-science in the science class room.