Love my New PBoook 12", hate the loud whinny fan!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by applesuper, Aug 10, 2009.

1. applesuper macrumors member

Hey guys, I just got me what imho has go to be the best pbook, and for that matter the best portable lappie ever, but as much as I love it, and I reallly really do, I find the fan coming on too quickly and too noisily, even at the lowest rpm it still has a whinny twang to it I dislike.

Any owners here? I just want to ask should I replace it and maybe change the thermal paste too?

I wouldn't go into the lengths of opening my baby up just to find out with the new fan that I 've not changed much....:confused::confused::confused:

Might there be a more silent replacement fan or a mod of sort anyone other one here performed???

2. machspeed5 macrumors member

the powerbooks fan is coming on because its an older model and to browse todays web requires it to perform at much higher cpu levels, to compensate for its slower cpu. so get used to hearing the fan.

i used to have a 12" 1.33 PB, i know this doesn't answer your question, but i thought i'd state the obvious.

3. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

OMG, that is one of the toughest operations I've ever done. The 12" PB is one hard nut to crack. You have to take almost the whole thing apart for a fan replacement and it sounds easy when you start but you wind up with a whole bunch of screws and pieces parts in a coffee cup crying 1/2 way into it. Then the cat jumps up and knocks the coffee cup over and you'll never find all those wee little pieces parts.... Big old crocodile tears too.:eek:

4. applesuper thread starter macrumors member

Omg, that's what I thought too, after the ifixit walk through I was like, ok , is there any bit that you don't screw off (and up!), and to hear that from an old pro like you too, it's not good. But still do you think a better fan would be quiter here? Or is it and endemic issue, it shouldn't be though, I am sure I got a noisy fan as well...

@webch, todays standards though are more effective and it shouldn't come as often as it did say 3 years ago, so the argument is really mute, since marginally web sites became heavier (arguable) but standards became better as did browser's efficiency. Plus my issue is not with it coming on, it's with it being really whiningly audible.