Love my watch, but it definitely feels like a first gen product

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by iBlazed, May 13, 2015.

1. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I ordered my 42mm Sport with white band on April 26th and already received it today. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones! Here are some of my first impressions/grievances.

Call Volume: The maximum call volume just simply isn't loud enough, you have to be in a quiet room to hear it, and even then it's a bit of struggle to hear it. If you're shuffling papers around or something that might create enough noise to make it difficult to hear. I don't know if the physical speaker itself is actually that quiet, or if Apple artificially limits the max call volume and just made it too low and will fix it in a future software update, hoping for the latter.

Activate on wrist raise: Highly inaccurate, I shut this feature off. The screen was constantly turning on and off when it wasn't supposed to and wearing down the battery. What sucks is that even when this feature is turned off and you have to tap the screen to turn it on, the watch still attempts to figure out when you're putting your arm down and tries to shut off the screen automatically. This sucks because if I'm laying down and I tap on the screen to check something, it'll just accidentally shut itself off in half a second because it thinks I put my arm down and I have to tap it again. In my opinion, if you shut off the activate on wrist raise feature you should have to manually shut off the screen with your palm as well. If you don't want it automatically turning on, why would you want it automatically turn off?? This makes no sense. Another thing that needs to be addressed in an update, alone with the overall accuracy of the activate on wrist feature. I'd like to be able to turn this feature back on because it's very convenient when it works, and I feel that any real watch should be ready to work the moment you glance at it.

Email: It shows all inboxes together, won't let you view your accounts separately.

Hey Siri: Works like CRAP. And yes, I know the screen has to be turned on first. It only works about half the time, even in a quiet room. It's like sometimes it just forgets to listen.

Despite all this, the Watch is a very convenient device and I LOVE having notifications on my wrist. My iPhone usage has already decreased and I actually feel freed from my phone in a way, as weird as that may sound. You would think having notifications on your wrist all day would have the opposite effect, but it doesn't. I love this thing! I'm waiting on my third party black leather band and stainless steal link band but the white sport band looks great.

Just my 2 cents. Great device, probably won't ever be without one again, but Apple needs to roll out some software updates ASAP. I'm excited to see the Apple Watch platform mature over the upcoming months and years and I'm happy to be an early adopter.

Edit: One more thought. I have a pretty small wrist and I think the 42mm is the perfect size. 38mm is tiny, even for me.

Attached Files:

2. LxTxNx macrumors 6502

LxTxNx

Agree but you have to be prepared for that for first gen products

3. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

And I am. I fully expect most of this stuff to be ironed out with software updates relatively soon. Takes me back to 2007 with iPhone OS 1. :cool:

4. LxTxNx macrumors 6502

LxTxNx

5. nfl46 macrumors 603

Yep, we're only on Watch OS 1.0. We have a long way to go. I'm pretty excited about future updates, though.

6. dabigkahuna, May 13, 2015
    Last edited: May 15, 2015

dabigkahuna Suspended

dabigkahuna

My quibbles

This looks like a good thread for this. And maybe someone can point out a "problem" that I'm wrong about!

First, really like the watch and I certainly don't expect everything to be ideal yet - and for some things it may be impossible to avoid compromises anyway. With that in mind, here are the things that bother me a little.

1. I am finding that for my usage, I really wish the time would display always. I know, battery limits and all so I'm not faulting Apple. I want to be able to look at the time without making it obvious sometimes or just not have to make an excessive movement.

However, I wonder, especially as the power issue improves, if there isn't a possible solution. As I understand it, the black pixels take no power. So, what if they gave at least on option for a special watch face just for this that is really simple. I'm thinking of a very thin hour and minute hand image (no seconds). It would take a very low number of pixels and maybe so few that power cost would be fine for most people (again, this would just be an option people could choose). A thin digital readout could work too, but that would take more pixels. I suppose updating the screen is part of the power issue too so just update it every minute. Much like those central clocks in some businesses (or my old school) used to do. Every minute, the minute hand would click over to the next minute. If this cost me 15 minutes of battery life, I'd be happy with that.

2. Maybe I missed something, but it seems when looking at any of the digital clock displays, you only get hours and minutes - no seconds. On the traditional dial faces, you have the second hand, but nothing on the digital options. This seems really odd since we have a watch that is accurate to milliseconds, yet can only see the most recent full minute! Surely they can fix that!

3. I like lots of info available to me so I use the Modular display even though it isn't very pretty. I do not understand why they time must always be in that one spot. If nothing else, I can see a lot of people who would want the time to be in the biggest spot with bigger numbers. But, ultimately, I just want as many options as possible so that pretty much all of them can be put in any spot. For that matter, if someone wants a display with no time at all, that should be possible.

3. I wouldn't mind a complication that showed my HR the last time the watch checked it (10 minutes apart normally and 1 minute during activity).

4. I'm find some quirks on the raise to turn on display. Unlike most people, I think, I wore mine to bed. I'm not sure what the exact input it is looking for from the various movement sensors, but it seems quite difficult to find the "right" way to move your arm to get it to turn on. Of course, you can always tap it, but at least when I'm lying on my side, just moving my arm various ways usually doesn't work. It is possible this is unavoidable - that if they made it handle that situation, it would turn on too often in others.

5. I am finding problems with 3rd party apps, but since they will need time to figure out how to work with the system, I just don't worry about them for now.

7. supertomtom macrumors 6502

supertomtom

I agree raise wrist to activate isn't the most accurate but what's the harm by leaving it on? I personally think it's better than turning it off completely. Even if it turns on at times when you don't need it, and drains a little bit of battery, I always have so much battery left at the end of the day that it doesn't really matter by leaving it on and have that extra convenience.

I do find it turning off when you don't want it to annoying tho.

8. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

This. If power reserve really utilizes that little power, I don't understand why it could at least utilize the minimal text of time only while the display is off.

9. Lucifer666 macrumors 6502a

I agree.

No problem. It will get substantially better I would imagine. Should be fun :)

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Rather than mirror your iPhone, you can customize it to view just one account if one is more important than the other. It does say "All inboxes" even with one account selected and I imagine this, as well as an easier way to view accounts separately, would be fixed in a future update.

11. Mildredop macrumors 68020

Other smart watches manage it so I don't see why Apple can't.

12. dabigkahuna Suspended

dabigkahuna

It may use enough to matter, which is why I said maybe it couldn't be done the way I describe now.

Here is some data I found. It said in power reserve mode - thus nothing but the time functioning - it would last 72 hours. This is based on checking the time four times an hour with the screen on for 4 seconds each time.

Okay, the math would have the screen on for 16 seconds each hour. That would be 384 seconds/day or 1152 seconds for the complete 3 days. This also assumes the checking is 24 hours a day. It may not.

Or, to make it simpler, the screen would be on for just 19.2 minutes! Clearly this is far too short a time for what you want even to last for the normal 16 hours you may be awake.

Now, there are other factors. I suggested a really minimal display. Probably no numbers on screen - just two thin hands. I don't know what watch face they used for their tests but any would be more lit pixels than I suggest. Still, we are a LONG way from the time we need so probably not going to work for this generation.

Remember also that it isn't just the 19.2 minutes that drains the battery. It is also the internal operation to keep track of time, sense when your arm moves, etc. Of course, we don't have that fundamental drain over 3 days. We just need it for one so we save some there.

But then we are back to the problem that this 19.2 minutes is with everything else turned off! Not what most people would do.

So, the more I look at this, the more I think it can't be done on this first model, unless Apple can tweak the way things work to save even more power - a lot of it.

13. dabigkahuna Suspended

dabigkahuna

As update to my prior post. I'm not positive, but I think the 72 hour power reserve mode is based on when the battery gets low and automatically kicks into that. Which I think is at the 10% level.

If so, that means we can take my prior numbers and, for example, multiply by 10. So instead of 19.2 minutes, it would be 192 minutes if you used that mode the whole time. Or 3 hrs and 12 minutes. Still not even close to what we need while giving up all other watch abilities.

Disappointing, but looks like we are stuck for now.

14. AFDoc, May 14, 2015
    Last edited: May 14, 2015

AFDoc macrumors 68030

In other news the earth is round.... more at 11.

Funny how a first gen product feels like a first gen product..... they will improve things with software updates..... and maybe that will make it not feel like a first gen product.

Kahuna all your issues sound like a software fix would take care of most of them.

We all knew this wasn't going to be a perfect piece of kit..... BUT for what it does for ME it's an awesome product. My top priorities are notifications but I have found myself using it to control my music when I have my headphones in and surprisingly I'm using the fitness app more than I thought I would.

OP I do agree the 42mm is a great size....It sounds silly to say but the 38mm is so small.

15. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I think my biggest issue right now is call volume because I don't know if it's a software or hardware issue.

16. skillz1318 macrumors regular

Wrist raise and siri (which I never use on iPhone) have both been great for me. Hopefully a software update will fix your issues.

I also make it so I only see one email account on my watch to resolve the all inbox issue. I have made one phone call with the watch, but it was in my condo. In a loud room I would likely put my phone to my ear.

17. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Have you tried playing a song directly on the watch yet? I haven't yet. But for anyone who has, is the speaker louder when playing a song? If it is, then the call volume could also be fixed with a software update.

18. Spooky73 macrumors member

Nice to see an actual constructive thread about issues, qualms and annoyances.

I too am loving the watch and it perfectly met my modest expectations. But I can agree with a few of the comments here.

I am not having any issues with the watch raise, turn on detection. And I really don't have any complaints about the call volume. It's perfectly acceptable to me for the times and places I would actually use it (mainly indoors and not much background noise). On the other hand, I have had a few instances when "Hey Siri..." just doesn't respond.

My only other real complaints are the lag with some actions (mostly Weather) and the activity stat tracking. I am not using it for real workouts yet, but when I take a decent, brisk walk for a couple miles the step counter is WAY off when compared to my phone. On average, the step counter on the watch is 1,000-1,500 lower than my phone. Is it just not registering steps as accurately as the phone? Or has the phone always been skewed?!

19. southflguy macrumors regular

I'm not sure if you can play music directly through the watch. When I've tried to do this it asks me to pair a bluetooth headset. I haven't played around with the music part a lot though.

20. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

It's not possible to listen to music with the Apple Watch without pairing BT headphones.

21. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I'm not sure how to compare volume without hearing both but I find the volume level enough for me to have a call. I only use it when I'm in a quite place. If I'm around others or in a noisy area I don't use speakphone of any type, I just move over to the phone and complete the call.

Too bad your wrist raise does not work well. Mine is fantastic. I spent a few minutes in the beginning getting a feel for how it wants me to move to make it work and I have repeated since then. Works every time now. It does come on sometimes when I don't need it but thats ok. I still have a ton of battery left at the end of an 18 hour day. It won't be perfect but its pretty good on my personal watch.

Last, Hey Siri does not work just because the display is on. It is my understanding she will only initially listen if the display has been off for more than 10 seconds prior to your talking to her. Hold your arm so the display is off for 10 seconds then lift and talk. Once she replies she will interact with you until the display turns off again or it has been a bit since asking for something. The timer will begin again. If you lift your wrist, look at things on your wrist for a bit (complication or notifications) then ask her for something she wont reply. I think this is a battery saving feature that assumes if you have not asked right away you most likely will continue manually. Hope that helps some.

22. Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

I think those are valid complaints of any product and not just a first generation, but I guess we can assume with confidence that Apple will hammer out these issues on their second time, in hardware or software, around.

Siri needing improvement is a major suck for me; but I have to ask if your experience mirrors that on the iPhone? Siri seems to be iffy on the iPhone to a degree, especially with Hey Siri, but it is more than do-able for my circumstances; if watch Siri can match performance of my phone I will be pleased.

23. Trent0341 macrumors 6502

OP... Thanks for one of the few post that skips the hyperbole and states your issues.

I agree with most of them. The speaker phone needs to be louder. Its something I would only use in private (or if a really important call long enough to transfer over I guess).

I also agree with the "hey siri"... it is inconsistent enough where I just hold down the digital crown to use siri. Siri, by the way, works great for me about 90% of the time. "Hey Siri"... no so much.

I only allow one email account to be displayed so the separate email account issue you are experiencing doesn't currently affect me. Should I ever decide to put my work email on their then I could see this being an issue.

Activate on wrist raise has been fairly accurate for me when I need it. I often see it activate when I don't (especially when driving) but since this hasn't caused battery life to be an issue (even remotely) I don't worry about it.

24. zmunkz macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

Agreed. I've also found I can just bend my wrist up and twist it towards me and it comes on, so its perfect for subtle viewing and requires almost no arm movement

25. jds4300, May 14, 2015
    Last edited: May 14, 2015

jds4300 macrumors member

Agreed 100%. The Apple Watch is indeed the worst product ever produced by Apple. I would expect a trinket of this poor functionality and almost clownish appearance and quality to fall from a cereal box. Apple Watch is a stain upon the Apple brand and the memory of Steve J.