Love the Slow-Mo video mode

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tg716, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Tg716 macrumors newbie

https://vimeo.com/106692028

On a topic that isn't telling you why your phone sucks, I am loving the slow motion video setting. When boredom kicked in at work today we had some fun with it.

2. 617aircav Suspended

cool, but what was the point of this particular video. The slow motion didn't add anything. Now, a backflip into a pool, thats something.

3. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

When you take a video in slow motion mode, it looks like it plays a very small part at the start/end at regular speed, and slows everything in between. Is that automatic or is there a way to control when it starts slow-mo?

That video is quite cool, I like it!

4. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

5. hokeyplyr48 macrumors member

this. Is there a way to not have it play normal speed at the beginning/end?

6. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I feel I'm going to need to buy a little mini tripod/mount to set up some interesting time lapse and slow mo videos :)

7. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

You can adjust when it begins and ends, so just make it start at the beginning and end at the end. Or download slopro, it worked great for my iPhone 5s (haven't tried with my 6+ yet). It lets you start and stop at multiple points.

8. Bentox macrumors member

Bentox

You can trim the video as normal, and have some significant play in the length of the 'time dilation', which you can also edit (similar to trimming). So yes, you can have an entire slo-mo video.

9. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

It surely isn't a feature that keeps to be entertaining for any long period of time. Can be a little fun, but unless you have some worthy subject to slow mo, it doesn't make much sense.

10. Bentox macrumors member

Bentox

true - I'm totally overusing it because of the novelty of it. But got a great video of my dog drinking water out of her dog bowl with that neat reverse tongue scoop movement they use.

11. MentalFloss macrumors 65816

MentalFloss

I thought so too, but I am actually surprised how well the videos turn out when shooting handheld. Especially when I heard about the time lapse, my first reaction was "pointless without a tripod!" But I have taken some time lapse videos now, and I am amazed at how still I could hold the phone. Not sure if the OIS on the 6 Plus helped.

12. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

I was playing with it at the Apple Store, very cool.

It won't change focus in slow-mo. I wasn't too surprised. Just something to keep in mind.

I think if you jumped in victory at the end of your video that the peanut gallery here would have been more impressed :D

_

13. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

yep, i've been playing with them both a bit. very cool. my kids like when I make them move in warp speed.

14. protobiont macrumors 6502a

In the default video app there is a slider that controls when the slo mo stops and starts.

15. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

So there is, I didn't notice that :) Thank you

16. Cougarcat macrumors 604

17. BadaBing!! macrumors 6502

BadaBing!!

Me too but I find the time lapse to be too fast for some occasions. Instagram's Hyperlapse has control over the speed and I'd like to have it in the built-in app.

18. Thrifty1 macrumors regular

19. OSXpert macrumors member

OSXpert

I'm loving the Slo-Mo video as well, but the 240FPS version is so much darking than 120FPS I've been switching to 120 for everything. I like being able to choose where the slo-mo starts, but I feel like the default should be set to "entire video is in slo-mo" since I imagine thats what most people are expecting.

20. shaunmed macrumors regular

i check the slo mo but found it could be grainy

21. OSXpert macrumors member

OSXpert

Did you try switching it into 120FPS mode? I found that helped.

22. bueller1 macrumors 6502

How are you guys uploading the slo mo videos. Mine come out regular speed. But preview shows the entire video slow motion. Weird

23. Bentox macrumors member

Bentox

I uploaded this to FB yesterday, and just uploaded to YouTube now:

Both were uploaded straight off the phone, through the respective apps. So, I'm not sure what the problem you're having is. Where are you trying to upload them to?

24. doasis23 macrumors regular

doasis23

Very nice. Wouldve been better in portrait mode though.

25. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

That is in portrait mode...I think you meant landscape.