LOVING iMovie 08! Come see my first movie!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by RumMunkey, Dec 26, 2007.

1. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

OK, I was thinking iMovie 08 was going to be perfect for my needs. I wanted to quickly spin together a movie that was at best entertaining, at worst not painful to sit through.

Well, we got our new HD camera on the 23rd and I decided to record my wife and I assembling this year's gingerbread house. Same day, right out of the box, first time using the camera, first time in iMovie 08.

Judge for yourself, but I am VERY happy. VERY happy. This first video took about 40 minutes to complete from import to burning the final DVD.

It runs at about 1 min 30 seconds, which makes it a good length for sharing and the export to .Mac was an absolute breeze.

iMovie 08 ROCKS!

2. jabrowntx macrumors 6502

3. David G. macrumors 65816

I looks like we both made gingerbread houses from the same kit.
    P.S. I like how it says Christmas 2008 at the beginning of the video.:eek:

4. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

5. nemex macrumors regular

nemex

6. RumMunkey thread starter macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

Costco. $8 I think.

Oh yeah... the date. I was in a bit of a hurry. I noticed that myself on the DVD. :eek:

The camera is a Canon HV 20. Real sharp. This was recorded in my rec room where we have notoriously poor lighting. The camera handled that fairly well all told. I just used the automatic mode.

7. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

My HV20 has been nothing but astounding. It has a very tough couple days ahead of it, however. I'll be filming the subway in NYC, I expect it will do well. Anyway, looks like you had a good time. I've never seen a base brace for a gingerbread house before.

8. Pandaboots macrumors regular

Pandaboots

Nice job...I also recently made my first movie in iMovie '08. I like how you used the same transition and just kept it simple. You had some really nice shots in there too (as if you could visualize the finished product). Music is a little loud, but overall just a nice simple and entertaining movie. Just so everyone knows, you can really push the limits of iMovie '08 to produce some nice results that are very professional looking. Tweaking durations of the transitions, and fade in/outs of the audio produce a more polished look. It's a different approach to editing movies in that it is a very visual experience. You are working with virtual filmstrips and audio is shown as different colors etc. I feel that this program is truly more "mac like" in that it does defy convention but for the sake of ease of use. Watching the tutorials is pretty much all anyone needs to get started using it. As time goes by, Apple will add to this program in giving us more effects, transitions etc. Your camera is awesome..very steady and clear..what make and model is it?

9. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

good job on your first video! thanks for sharing :)

10. RumMunkey thread starter macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

Oh yes, I totally agree. I know a lot of users of iMovie HD were furious when iMovie 08 came along, but personally I think iMovie 08 hits it perfect!

We were looking for a way to re-create the ease with which we download, catalog, and store away our digital pictures (using iPhoto, btw). Right now, it's a dead simple process and takes just a few minutes. Once I import, I spend a few seconds naming the pictures, the event, delete the terrible shots and I'm done.

That's basically what I wanted from my movie-making app. My wife should be able to figure it out. I wanted to drop my video, and come up with a quick, simple movie in a short amount of time.

I'd like a few more options (and I'm sure they'll come with time) but I don't need A/B track editing, heavy effects (which mostly look cheesey anyway)... I'm not Martin Scorcese (I'm not even Kevin Smith).

I'm just a dad-to-be and I want a way to quickly get around videos if my son's first year, and have them be not-half-bad.

So far, so good.

Oh, the camera is a Canon HV 20, btw. Loving that, too. Can't wait until the holidays pass and I get some free time to really play around with some more "learning how to use this thing" videos (waterfalls, local scenery, that sort of thing).

11. Mac In School macrumors 65816

Wow. Love the video. Very nicely done. You're good!

12. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi