Loving the 5s Camera

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheBama, Sep 25, 2013.

1. TheBama macrumors 6502

TheBama

I have neurological issues (Some call me Shaky Hands McGee) which makes taking clear photos difficult. With past iPhones I would rarely get a clean/clear photo and would often carry my phone and my image stabilizing Nikon pocket camera.

With the new iPhone's built-in stabilization I am finally getting great clear photos with my phone. The image quality is obviously better as well, especially the low-light scenes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Alisstar macrumors 6502

Alisstar

Thanks for posting this. As an iPhone 5 owner, I can honestly say that I personally wasn't very impressed with what Apple did to improve the camera. To me, pictures taken with a 5s looked slightly better than the ones taken on the 5. But your post changed my opinion about the camera.

I'm happy you are enjoying your new phone, and happy you have found better use of the camera. I truly am happy for you.

3. user-name-here macrumors 65816

I love the 5s camera, it has totally made point-and-shoot digital cameras an extinct product to me (kind of like how wikipedia made encyclopedias extinct to me as well).

Gotta love technology :D

p.s. feel free to ignore but just curious (it's the health care worker in me), what is the neurological issue you deal with?

4. kevintech macrumors 6502

nurse?

5. user-name-here, Sep 26, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  6. iLuvMyMacToo macrumors regular

Thank you for posting this. Those pics look amazing

7. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

8. TheBama thread starter macrumors 6502

TheBama

Thanks. I actually wasn't that impressed with the rumored 5s upgrades as the fingerprint sensor means nothing to me. It was the camera upgrades that made me give it a try and I am glad I did!

What seems like an incremental update is actually some pretty significant improvements in the end product (photos.) I don't need 41 blurry megapixels. 8 sharp and clean ones will do me just fine!

9. scott99 macrumors 6502a

Great pics ! Now I have a strong yearning for some fresh produce, lol.

I've learned from a great photographer friend of mine is it isn't really the megapixel amount that counts. The iPhone has an 8mp camera, some Android phones have 13mp cameras, but the iPhone's lenses are so much better, that often in photo tests, people will pick the iphone 8mp version over the 13mp Android photo. Obviously zoom is a big feature as well, as in your typical digital camera with a higher zoom lens (say 15x), will cost so much more than lower zoom lens (5x for example). So a typical professional photographer will value a 12mp camera with 15x zoom, way higher than a 14mp or 16mp with 5x zoom.

10. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

I am excited and anxious to get mine HOWEVER, in reference to your 41mp comment, I will say this, as much as I am a die hard apple fan, I went to the MS store the other day as it is LITERALLY right next to apple. That camera on that crappy nokia is AMAZING not particularly cause of 41 mp but the fact I took a pic and I zoomed in like crazy and I could read the guys name tag on his shirt who was completely on the other side of the room, totally clear no blur or pixilation. THAT was amazing.

BUT at the end of the day its still windows and its garbage to me as far as phone lol

11. Alisstar macrumors 6502

Alisstar

You went to the Florida Mall store?

12. kevintech macrumors 6502

Why'd you edit your comment?

13. TheBama thread starter macrumors 6502

TheBama

I meant no disrespect to Nokia. For steady-handed folks I am sure it works great... but for shaky hands McGee, not so much :)

Using digital zooms makes the shake much more visible so image stabilization is really the only key factor to me.

14. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I agree OP. I use the iPhone as my primary camera and the camera improvements are the main reason I upgrade. The 5s camera over-delivers.

With that said, I wish it would focus a bit quicker when using a flash. Kids and dogs get tired of the bright light and turn away, squint / close their eyes, or bite me.

15. Reaper0bot0 macrumors regular

Uh......the Lumia 1020 has proper optical image stabilization, folks...