Loving UNLIMITED att 4G, LTE. Will you use it as your primary connection now?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by UrsaMajor, Mar 18, 2012.

1. UrsaMajor macrumors regular

I've had the first iPad with 3G since new. I kept the AT&T plan going even though some months I never used it. Part of getting the iPad 3 was hoping it could carry over without problems. Way so happy now. Unlimited 4g LTE is the ultimate tablet experience hands down.

I noticed that its even faster than my usual wifi. I ran the speed tests. So I've just been leaving it on to watch Netflix, YouTube, vevo vids. Within 24 hrs I've crossed 1.5GB. I'm not greedy either, I only use the iPad no jailbreak or tethering.

Is anyone else going to use it as you primary instead of wifi? Since theres no throttling. What will AT&T do when I cross 30gb a month?

2. Rideherhard macrumors 6502

Isn't unlimited cut off at 5GB with AT&T? I'm pretty sure they have a max on it so they don't lose out.

3. doboy macrumors 68000

They will start to throttle when people start abusing it.

4. cinca macrumors regular

It was funny coming post because I was thinking the exact same thing.

However, I am a little sensitive about going over the unofficial "unlimited" getting my service throttled. I definitely enjoy not needing to worry if I'm going to accidentally go over a hard data cap incur additional charges so I'm doing everything I can to ensure I keep my unlimited service grandfathered and attached my account.

That being said the LTE service is vastly superior in speed and snapping us to my pokey slow home DSL connection.

I think what I might do is use LTE it while browsing the web since there isn't much bandwidth involved. And if I'm downloading large files or doing something bandwidth intensive like streaming movies or music I will switch over to Wi-Fi and just have to be a little bit more patient.

5. UrsaMajor thread starter macrumors regular

Nope. 5gb would mean limited.

It's been verified from several sources. I've kept mine in good standing with it ever lapsing. Specifically too throttling isn't an issue.

should we post pics of cell usage and see how much we actually use. :D

----------

Define abuse. Tethering? Ya that's abuse. But how is using my daily stuff abuse? I paid for $30/unlimited.

6. doboy macrumors 68000

I'm not the one that you need to convince. ;)

7. aypues macrumors regular

Yah, not a good idea to max out your data when you don't need to if you have a wi-fi connection available that's almost as fast. Don't ruin unlimited for those of us who use it judiciously!!!

8. MR1324 macrumors 6502

Being one of the biggest users on the network is considered abuse. I have an unlimited iphone plan and look what happened to that. The same thing will happen to the unlimited ipad plan if the network gets clogged.

9. intofx macrumors regular

This is why AT&T hasnt included the hotspot option.

If you abuse it they have the right to cancel your plan and or add the ipad to their throttling policy.

If u have wifi use it. Your not "cool" cause you abused the unlimited data.

10. UrsaMajor thread starter macrumors regular

True, I don't want to stand out and get their beef even if I'm totally in good faith using the service.

Whats a fair amount 10-15gb/mo.?

----------

Again, what is abuse? I can live without a hotspot. Not into jailbreaking or tethering. Remember I've paid at least $630 into AT&T already. Many months never using it or under 1gb.

In good faith, typical monthly use I'd likely pull down 20Gb. On a capped plan they'd be thrilled from that as they'd collect overages.

11. MR1324 macrumors 6502

5GB/month for ATT, 10GB/month for Verizon.

12. cinca macrumors regular

I am, ironically, using far less on a monthly basis then even one of the modest Limited plans. However, for me, the security of not needing to worry about one random month's massive overage is well worth spending a little bit more monthly for an unlimited option versus downgrading to a slightly cheaper option and getting burned in the future.

13. intofx macrumors regular

Cellular data is a service to bridge the gap when you are mobile or find yourself without wifi. If you are purposely using your cell data all the time when wifi is available then your abusing the service. If you cancel your home internet to only use your cell data your abusing the service.

14. Ste Nova macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

I hammer my iPhone unlimited data 60gb+ some months, even more now I have the iPad tethered to it, at home it's my only connection and at work it's faster than the office one so everyone connects to it for downloads, I also hammer the upload with eyefi :)

15. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

I'm sure you can guess what they'll do....they'll throttle you.

----------

Thanks. It's people like you we all have to thank for AT&T cracking down on unlimited users.

16. intofx macrumors regular

It's people like this that f things up for the rest of us.

17. cinca macrumors regular

While I agree that is crazy high bandwidth usage I guess I might agree with some and say that it is "technically unlimited" usage.

That being said, I think after a user gets passed some crazy large number like five or 10 or 15 GB, it would be reasonable for AT&T to slow and throttle the connection. I suspect when you get up to numbers like that you're starting to deal with a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percent of the users and I would have no problem with the small group ultimately getting horribly slow connection speeds if they're using such an excessive amount of data.

I suspect "mega-users" users would not be so excited about using their $30 unlimited account as they're only Internet connection and sharing it with her coworkers if they were getting the same connection speeds as a dial-up modem in 1985 -and I think the 99.99% of users that are not those users would have no problem with that.

18. intofx macrumors regular

They tried the top 1% throttle thing and it doesn't work since its not consistent. Now they go with 5gb or top tiered plan then throttle.

So because pleaple abuse the unlimited we all get throttled.

19. AttilaTheHun macrumors 6502a

AttilaTheHun

the way i feel:
    the plain that i bought unlimited data for $30 was 3G so if i use it now they can limit me to 3G, they can throttle on use with 4G LTE

but the $30 unlimited data 4G LTE that I bought on my samsung S II cannot be throttle

20. rman726 macrumors 6502

You can abuse the unlimited if you want, but don't be one of the people on the forums bitching when they decide to change the iPad unlimited limit to 3gb too.

Just remember: you do not have a contract. If they want to, they can get rid of unlimited altogether. And there isn't anything you could do about it.

21. 3dflyboy1, Mar 18, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2012

3dflyboy1 macrumors 6502

Hmmm

Attached Files:

22. wbeem macrumors member

Are you an employee of AT&T? Do you set policy for AT&T? Are you a spokesperson for AT&T?

This thread is both amusing and disturbing. AT&T has already made a statement that it does not intend to throttle data usage on the iPad the way it does on mobile phones. I wish they would say why one is different than the other, because that seems to be the cause for so many lemmings here to make statements like the one above.

If it says "unlimited" on the label, then it's unlimited. If AT&T throttles a user over a specific bandwidth usage, it does not impede the traffic of anyone else under that mark. So whining about someone who gets throttled is useless, because it does not impact anyone else.

Use your service as you need it.

23. rman726 macrumors 6502

I guess it's because most of us don't trust a word any corporation tells us. I've seen all too often major corporations say the will never do X, and then turn around a month later and do exactly that.

They exist to make money. If during launch week they told people that they may throttle in the coming months, that would hurt their business. Always remember that their motive is to make money, not to make a few people happy.

Now, don't get me wrong. I don't know what they will do. For all I know they will keep their word. I just wouldn't count on it.

24. intofx macrumors regular

Nope. Not at all. Just a unlimited customer who wants to keep it that way. If everyone used it to download 60gb a month for example at some point they will just cut their losses and kill the plan all together. Then what happens? Do the people downloading tons of gig continue paying the tiered plan plus overages? Probably not. They'll go back to using their wifi and everyone else is screwed because of it. Is what it is. Enough said.

25. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Not correct--AT&T now throttles at 3 GB on the smartphone side, which essentially turns my unlimited data plan into their 3 GB for $30 plan.

While I'm enjoying the new found speed over LTE, my home internet connection is at least as good and am not going to rack up the GBs over LTE just for the sake of doing so as that will only IMO, lead to changes on AT&T's part resulting in either caps or throttling.