Low End New 13.3" or High End New 13.3" or Entry Level New 15.4"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gtshor3, Jun 12, 2012.

1. gtshor3 macrumors newbie

I am having a really hard time debating this. Money is an option, but I don't want to regret making the wrong decision over a couple hundred bucks later on, especially when I plan on selling in 4 years and upgrading to a newer 2016 model. I am eligible for a student discount which helps. My questions:

1) Is the performance leap from the new I5 to the new I7 to the new quad core I7 considerable? In other words, when running multiple applications, will I see a significant practical difference if I was on a new I5 compared to the new entry level 15.4" model? I understand all models have the new ivy bridge processors. (I must note that if I do go with the I5, I will upgrade the ram to 8GB)

2) If processor speed is basically a practical wash, is the new HD 4000 sufficient enough to do very light video editing / hd video viewing? Or would I need the extra graphics offered by the 15.4" model.

3) Finally, if cpu speed isn't significantly different, and the HD 4000 graphics does just fine, do you think the increased resolution in the 15.4" model justifies the huge price increase?

Thanks for the input guys. I'm an apple noob trying to get some input before I lay down some cash on my first macbook.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I just got a new base 13 mbp. It's great. I was debating getting the i7 but realize that it is ~30% more than the i5 model. I would rather save that 30% and think of it as a downpayment on a newer mbp in a few years time

Also, for my needs, I doubt I would EVER really notice the difference between the processors.

As far as screen, imo, the 13 is great as a portable. If I want more, I have a monitor to hook into at home

FWIW, I tend to get the base in everything except iphones lol. I feel that all computers will get the job done for my usage. I was more excited about usb 3 if anything with the new machines. I just have a hard time spending 1200, let alone north of 1500 for various laptops that I would like to replace every 3-4 years

Also, looking at geekbench, my 2.5ghz i5 mbp now has a higher cpu performance than my work laptop (15inch 2.66 i7) from 2010

3. gtshor3 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's kind of what I'm leaning with, but I guess I'm just worried about resale value.

4. Mizzou02RS macrumors member

I operate under a "buy the best you can with what money you have" policy, so yesterday I ordered the high-end 2.9 ghz MBP 13" with a BTO 1TB hard drive. For what I do, it'll be great! :)