Low Light Mode

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I keep reading about 3rd parties taking advantage of the low light mode on the iPhone 5, and from screenshots of Camera+ it looked like you could select low light mode. With the built in camera app, is this automatic? I assume it is, and that you can't turn it on and off? With it really bumping the ISO it would be nice to select it, like the HDR, and have the camera save both pictures even. Anyone test this themselves with the built in vs 3rd party apps? I'm wondering if I should install Camera+ for this, I have always just used the built in camera app.

Igantius

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2007
I didn't notice a low light mode after the update, either. From the various sample shots that I've seen, I wonder if there would be much value having the option to turn it off.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
They may have achieved that by simply varying the amount of light in the scene, thereby forcing the camera to use a different ISO
Maybe, doesn't seem like a good way to do a comparison though.

Do you typically use Camera+? Or the stock camera app?

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
From what I've read, they're accomplishing this "boost" by pixel binning, which ultimately results in a lower resolution picture, since the light from multiple pixels is being averaged. You should at least be able to tell after the fact what equivalent ISO setting was used by looking at the exif data for that shot. It's kind of bogus if you're going into boost mode without warning.

Regards,
Tom

davehutch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Croxley, Herts
Now I have the 5, I'll probably be much happier with the stock app.
I'd only use Camera+ to lock white balance to be honest...oh...and burst mode is brilliant.
Oh...and...the effects like the Polaroid border, that's good too

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Now I have the 5, I'll probably be much happier with the stock app.
I'd only use Camera+ to lock white balance to be honest...oh...and burst mode is brilliant.
Oh...and...the effects like the Polaroid border, that's good too
Thanks