Low Light Photo Comparison (5S vs. 4S)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mark Booth, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Mark Booth macrumors 65816

Mark Booth

Here's a quick VERY low light photo comparison between the iPhone 4S and iPhone 5S cameras. Shot at night with all of the lights in the room turned off. The only illumination was the light from my 23" Cinema Display. The FM keychain was sitting about 14-inches in front of the display. For both cameras, no flash, handheld, and I touched on the same area of the image to lock focus and exposure for each.

First, the iPhone 4S:
    [​IMG]

And the iPhone 5S:
    [​IMG]

I'm impressed! Neither photo is super sharp but, again, it was handheld in REALLY low light. (Gotta hold extra still for shots like that.)

The amount of extra light and significantly lower noise in the 5S image is fantastic! The camera is absolutely my favorite new feature in the 5S!

Mark

2. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Very nice, I'm doing the same upgrade from 4S to 5S glad to see how much better it works in dark places! I went to a restaurant a few months back w/ very low lighting and wanted to take a pic w/out flash and looked as bad as your first pic. I'm going to the same place next month and will try to get a pic w/ the 5S if I receive it before I go there.

3. phositadc macrumors 6502

The 5s photo isn't HDR is it? If not, impressive difference!

4. Mark Booth thread starter macrumors 65816

Mark Booth

Nope, not HDR! I did my best to compare Apple to Apple (pun intended) with the only difference being one is a 4S and the other is a 5S.

Mark

5. phositadc macrumors 6502

Remarkable difference. Thanks.

6. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

That's quite a startling difference OP, thanks for posting.

7. watchthisspace macrumors 6502a

All those changes Apple have done on their camera definitely adds up!

8. betabeta macrumors 6502a

Well worth upgrading if you ask me, and with the touch ID...boom, incredible:D

I like Siri, but this upgrade from 5 to 5s seems better to me than the 4 to the 4s was, maybe that's just due to iOS7.