Low QC on iPhone 5s is normal...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lawlbringer, Oct 15, 2012.

1. lawlbringer, Oct 15, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2012

lawlbringer macrumors regular

On my 4th iPhone 5.

First - Black/Slate originally from Radioshack...had ding in back of aluminum by the bottom piece of glass.

Second - Exchange from Radioshack, pristine out of the box. However, after a few days I noticed the upper left corner of the screen glass was a bit loose. I could make it flex with a slight click to it if I pressed it. Also had some reception issues with this one.

Third - Radioshack wouldn't help me so I just decided to go to the Apple store. Genius noticed my signal and replaced the unit.

Fourth - Third unit had some noticeable dings, and I decided I didn't want to keep that phone becauses it was in pretty bad shape. "Genius"(I hate calling them this) exchanged it for me as an exception. Unit is near flawless outside of a tiny nick at the top which is easy to overlook. He said I couldn't exchange it again for cosmetic purposes or signal issues.

HOWEVER, the glass on the top of the phone is a hair off, or the outerframe is uneven. Basically, the upper-right side of the glass edge sticks out, enough to feel it with your finger. It also flexes if you gently squeeze it, but doesn't make any noise. The other side doesn't do that, and is even with the body of the phone. Cases don't fit 100% and you can see the raised glass on one side of it.

Not sure whether to stick with this one or try to contact someone higher up...I'm pretty tired of going to the Apple store and I'm sure they're tired of seeing me. I honestly feel an overwhelming majority of these phones have some sort of flaw, however big or small. Whether it be cosmetic or not, this is very alarming for such a big ticket item whos manufacturer boasts such flawless inspection and quality of their products. I wasn't looking to find anything wrong with these phones, they were just noticed from normal everyday use. I guess this is just normal.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Wow, its a hair off:rolleyes:
    Sorry to break it to you but never any iphone will be "perfect" to you even if you go through 100 iphones. You will find something wrong with all of them, trust me.
    Its time to put an end to it and move one and stop doing what you're doing. Its not healthy.
    Find something better to focus your energy and spend your time on.
    Its just a phone, it will flex if you squeeze it just like anything out there.
    Wow......

3. darster Suspended

And now we know why the iphone is so expensive and people make fun of iPhone users.

4. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

I would have just stayed with the first one. Another case of iPhone user OCD'ing on their cheap labor made device not being perfect

5. alexander25 macrumors regular

I have a perfect phone

6. ZivaD macrumors member

ZivaD

Dont worry, we will wait till you find your perfect phone :D wonder how many others do this.

7. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Give it to the OP, he'll find something wrong. :p

8. Generik777 macrumors regular

Generik777

Why would you not examine the phone before accepting and leaving the store with it?

9. Noisemaker Guest

Let me just point out how hilarious it is that you question the intelligence of Genius Bar employees while starting a thread as idiotic as this. I honestly can't tell if you're a troll, or just one of those miserable people that will sit down with a microscope if needed to find something to nitpick.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I was just going to say the same.
    There's a hair or something that's off with yours too, and every iphone.
    Or if you squeeze it or try to bend it the phone will move and shift and flex:D
    lol

He does, but then always finds something else later that triggers him to return it again:D

11. Geffen macrumors 6502

Its sort of scary when people start opening all these iphones trying to find a perfect one. I realize these are expensive iphones however if its a hair off is it really worth the hassle of trying to find one better?

12. Generik777 macrumors regular

Generik777

Aaahh... that explains it. :p
    After he gets out the microscope to inspect it properly.

13. joshwithachance, Oct 15, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2012

joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

There is no such thing as a truly "perfect" mass produced product. You may think you have a flawless version of something, but if you really try to find a flaw, you will. You have a problem if you had to go through 5 iPhones, when all but one of them were nearly flawless.

Get a hobby. And don't pull the "These phones cost $650" card, because almost ALL smartphones retail around this price point, and they're made of plastic.

14. OatmealRocks macrumors 6502a

OP you seem to have an eye for this. Perhaps you should extend your services to Apple. You would make a great QC guy. I think they are hiring. Might want to look at some job postings HERE.

15. lawlbringer thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry if I'm a little annoyed my $650 phone will either be damaged out of the box, have **** reception, leak light from the edges, have a loose screen, or have an uneven screen that makes it not sit in cases correctly.

I think we've crossed the threshold of bad luck, I can overlook small things but some of these are easy to spot if you pay attention at all to detail.

16. OatmealRocks, Oct 15, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2012

OatmealRocks macrumors 6502a

MIght have to get OP to stop touching it if 'something' else happens later again! visit the APPLE store or he really likes the Apple store, I am not sure. I guess 4 people in this forum that are waiting for their iPhones have OP to thank.

17. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

News flash: almost ALL high end smartphones retail in this price range, and they're made of plastic. You need to stop whining and intentionally looking for problems. If you can't deal with these black iPhone 5 "issues", get a white one, or a Galaxy S3.

18. darster Suspended

Your priorities in life are all messed up. Sad, very sad. The amount of time you have traveled back and forth to try and find the "perfect" phone could have been better spent helping others. You could have delivered several meals to elderly shut ins. You could have spent time with family. You could even have had some fun. But no, you are so focused on that damn little phone that it runs your life. Sad, very sad.

19. Noisemaker Guest

There's a difference between "damage" and someone just being an obsessive twat.

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Or time to return it and just get your money back.
    Some customers are impossible to please or ever satisfy.
    The customer is not always right and you cant please everyone out there.
    You're one of them, I would hate to have to deal with your every day replacing a "non-perfect" iphone on the regural:D

21. Starfyre macrumors 68000

Starfyre

The marketing does say detail should be to the microns, if Apple marketing is to be believed, then theoretically, there should be no noticeable imperfections, even for an OCD.

22. darster Suspended

Advertising is like politicians. There may be the slightest bit of truth in there somewhere, but most of it is just a gimmick to get you to buy what they are selling.

23. rollingstart Guest

OP, you should return it and wait a little before trying again. It's not worth the hassle until the production issues are ironed out.

24. hkfan24 macrumors regular

Take a look at the OPs OCD. It's a post from another thread. If you can't see the image, click the "image" link.

25. lawlbringer thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, they do. I already knew that, but thats still a lot of money for any handheld device. Sorry for expecting Apple quality to be a bit better than cheap plastic Android phones. Normally you get what you pay for, but if its the same as cheap plastic android phones, then you can't expect much either.

I'm not looking for problems either, I tried putting my case on and the outer edge wouldn't fit correctly. That's when I noticed one side was sunken in more than the other. I already went with a white one, but I guess color doesn't really make much of a difference either.