loyal iPhone customer....will Apple care enough?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Youngmoney23, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Youngmoney23 macrumors newbie

Alright, so I have had the iPhone since the original and have boughten each new iPhone on release day. Only time I have broughten the phone back was because of an unresponsive home button on the 3G and an unresponsive slider bar on the 3GS. I know Apple has changed its policy on replacing iPhones but whats the chance I bring in my 4S that has a cracked screen (1st time I dropped an iPhone in 4 years) and they swap it out for a new one for me? Or replace the screen?

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Can't hurt to take it in, but obviously a mashed screen is in no way covered by warranty so if they do replace it free, be very thankful.

If you need to repair out of warranty ($199, assuming USA) then you have the option of buying AppleCare+ on the replacement for 1/2 price so for $249 you'll get a new phone and AC+.

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Dude, you dropped your phone. If Apple replaces it for free be thankful, but don't expect it. Be prepared and willing and able to pay.

And +1 on AppleCare+...

4. Youngmoney23 thread starter macrumors newbie

I understand I have dropped my phone. I was walking my dog, pulled my phone out of my pocket and he tried darting off to get a squirrel, and there went my phone. Im just saying Ive heard of a ton of people going in and having multiple problems or just being picky about the screen color and getting new phones. I just thought there might be a chance that Apple would replace it for being a loyal customer for over 4 years. Maybe if I bring my dog the Genius will be threatened into just giving me a new one lol.

5. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

One: Never threaten an Apple employee. That will just get you thrown out of the store and/or arrested.

Two: People getting replacements because of screens being the wrong color are factory defects, not operator error. The difference lies right there. One is the manufacturer's fault, the other is purely yours. Apple won't normally hand you a shiny new $500+ device because of something you did.

6. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Did you notice the lol at the end of his statement? :rolleyes:

7. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

You can only try. But do us all a favour and spare us the Apple hatred thread/rant if they don't replace it.

Go in, be polite and honest, don't force your story down the Genius' throat (makes you look both desperate and like a liar). Don't boast about prior ownership, it means nothing and you have no proof that you've been a customer since day one in 2007 (and to be honest it's all irrelevant anyway, especially to the Genius).

Play it right, you may get lucky. And if you do get lucky, buy a case for when out and about and leave the phone in your pocket when walking the dog.

8. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

There is a chance. I've seen it done before. They did it for me when I dropped my new iPad 2 and cracked the screen. Just don't be too disappointed if it doesn't happen. ;)

9. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Yes, but in light of being momentarily serious, I thought it would do some good to remind him of those possible consequences. I do understand that he was not being serious, however.

10. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Ok, just checking. :D. If I tried threatening a Genius with my dog, after he's done licking everyone's toes he'd probably be too busy being petted and playing to care (Cairn Terrier).

11. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

what does boughten and broughten mean??

:apple:

12. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Boughten is the past perfect of Buyed.

Broughten is the past perfect of Brung.

As a newly Southern turkey transplanted from the North, I'm re-learning vocabulary :D

13. melman101 macrumors 68030

That's what I have always thought but they never replaced anything for me for free. I bought AppleCare+ this time around.

14. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Although true to an extent, these are unfortunately no-longer used when it comes to spoken American English.

15. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I think he means he bought ten iPhones.

edit...or Brought ten iPhones to the Apple store. Not sure though.

16. Bootleg2go, Nov 21, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2011

Bootleg2go macrumors newbie

I think if you look into the details of that offer, what might be happening is that Apple is selling you the AppleCare+ before they replace/fix it...ie you only have 1 replacement left and one was counted for the repair. I may be wrong though, but you need to find out and read the fine print.

I doubt they will just replace it for free.
    Two reasons, if they were start giving free replacements everytime some dropped their new phone, what would be the motivation for customers to purchase the AppleCare+??

I know I wouldn't' expect a car dealer to replace my brand new car for free if I crashed it even on the 1st day I bought it, even if I were a loyal customer of 20 years and bought every one of my cars from them.
    I would expect them to cover the warranty items and such; but damage you cause is something you'll have to pay to fix.
    If it was the back glass, then that's an easy fix for them right in the store I hear and may only cost you $50, but the front glass is another story.

17. SurferMan macrumors 65816

You can also just replace the screen yourself, it's easy, plenty of tutorials online and parts are relatively cheap (especially compared to what Apple charges).

18. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I suppose that miracles could happen but I seriously doubt that they will replace the phone. There are craigslist ads for $50-$100 screen replacements and a friend was very happy with the results. Care? No but they'd love to sell you a new one or repair it for a nominal fee.

19. zigzagg321 macrumors 6502

The 4S is built from the back forward, so screen replacement is not like it was on the 3GS. IF you do manage to replace your screen, say goodbye to any warranty you had.

20. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

You mean $149 ($99 for AppleCare+, plus $49 for an accidental damage replacement), right? Which is, as you point out, cheaper than one out-of-warranty repair ($199), plus you're covered by AppleCare+ (which includes one more $49 repair) from that point on.

I think that AppleCare+ for the iPhone 4S was Apple's way of firming their policy for accidental damage. They were fairly generous in the past (they replaced my dropped & cracked iPhone 4, gratis, "just this once"), but I think the whole purpose of AppleCare+ was to provide a reasonable alternative somewhere between giving away free phones and charging $199.

We know that Apple's intent with AppleCare+ is that you buy it before the damage occurs. They tried to require you buy it at the time you purchased your phone (and wouldn't be eligible after that), but since that was logistically difficult for some they offer a 30 day grace period -- meaning you can buy AppleCare+ any time within the first 30 days of phone ownership. I suppose there would be no way for them to know if you broke your phone in the first 30 days, then called them up an bought AppleCare+ (you can - or at least could - buy it over the phone [I did], but at one point they were trying to require you to bring your phone in for a physical inspection to make sure it wasn't damaged already - I don't think they're doing that now though).

Bottom line: you could always bring your phone in to the store and ask, but don't have high hopes. Signs are they're specifically trying not to give away free phones to replace phones damaged by the user anymore. If you're within 30 days and don't mind some dishonesty, try buying AppleCare+ and then claiming you broke your phone right after.

Incidentally, I received my phone (from AT&T, who didn't offer AppleCare+ with purchase) on launch day and immediately called Apple to buy AppleCare+. They couldn't sell it to me that day (due to overwhelmed system, as I recall), and while talking to the guy about the new policies he told me they were already trying to deal with the phones that, for example, didn't make it out of the parking lot before they were dropped and broken. We talked about how, with thousands upon thousands of units moving in one day, some percentage of them are going to get damaged. They've heard it all.

21. Youngmoney23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Seriously...Like I would really bring my pit into the mall where the local Apple store is. I can barely walk my dog out in public or bring him to the local pet store without getting terrible looks.

Thats a pretty big assumption to say to me when you dont even know me. You act like Ive been on here whining and crying about the dang phone. I would never do that. Im not gonna be mad if they cant fix it. I make enough to get it fixed, I just wondered if anyone thought it was possible to get it fixed or replaced, so I didnt have to spend the money being its the holiday season and I have presents to buy. Not a big deal if it doesnt. I understand the responsibility of having a nice phone. Yeah I should of had it in a case but I like the look and feel of it with just a skin on the phone.

Oh and by the way- maybe you wanna read a little better. I never said anything about having the iPhone since day one, only stated that I have had the iPhone since the original. Doesnt mean I bought it from day one. And besides Im pretty sure I could prove that I have had it since then because of the fact AT&T would show when I started my iPhone data plan with the 2G.

22. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

And you may also wish to read better if the part you quoted and replied to, was all you got from my post. The rest was being genuinely helpful and from prior experience, so perhaps take the time to read it.

Also regarding your case comment, I always say this:

I bought my iPhone for me, for my use, my pleasure, my benefit. Not for those in the street, the car, the bus, the train, the plane, the store to gawk at. Put the phone in a case while out and about, and remove it when you get home, so that the person who bought the phone to enjoy it most (you), has a clean, pristine iPhone.

The amount of vanity that must lead to dropped and smashed iPhones outside is unreal.

23. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Um, yeah you did. Look:

Unless in your world, day one doesn't equal release day.

24. Shenaniganz08 macrumors 6502

+1
    lock this thread

25. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

I dont understand why people ask questions like this.

How the HELL are we going to know? GO DO IT. You'll have your answer.

Or when a new iphone comes out, theres a thousand different "do you think at&t will let me....." CALL AT&T.

My GOD, man!