LTE Advance who will win

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by metsjetsfan, Aug 14, 2012.

1. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

Does anyone know who is winning the war in setting the table for LTE Advance in the US? Seems like both vz and ATT scored deals in the past month for more spectrum, but it's not clear who will be the winner 5-8 years down the road.

I know the best provider is still the one in your area or areas that you frequent but just wanted hear about all the spectrum jibber jabber and VZ vs ATT.

One question, I am not clear on, VZ is clearly the hands down winner for LTE, but does that give them a leg up in LTE Advance or can ATT catch up/leapfrog with LTE Advance?

2. taedouni macrumors 65816

Verizon will win. They have more money and more customers. AT&T may have a bit faster network down the road due to not being as congested as Verizon, but Verizon will be more reliable.

3. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Verizon. And rightfully so. AT&T's network is not only inferior, but so is their customer service. Does AT&T have any advantage over Verizon? No longer voice/data or faster speeds.

4. Drag'nGT, Aug 14, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2012

Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

It will probably be just like it is now unless something major happens. The two will be close enough it won't matter much.

The voice and data plans continue to mimic each other. AT&T will have their shared data packs out in another week or two. They'll get to see how they can tweak it over the one VZW set into place the other day. If I switched to VZW it would cost me an extra $20 + tax per month. There's no coverage improvement so I see no reason to waste money and loose my unlimited data plan.

Edit, last time I checked VZW usually forces you on to the current plan when you upgrade to a current phone. I have been able to keep grandfathered plans and get new equipment without hassle. That seems like good customer service to me.

5. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

No Verizon does not force you to change plans. I am still on my grandpa unlimited plan also.

6. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Lol

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

They will if you try to update to the next iphone with LTE.
    Or they will make you pay full price for the iphone. Pick your poison.

8. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

^
    I did not even notice it until I saw your post

Yup, I hate the power these companies hold over us. Their prices are outrageous. I am really tempted to switch to a service like straight talk to save $30 a month.

But, otherwise, I am happy with AT&T at the moment, I still have my FAN discount from my old job, so not matter what, I will pay more if I switch to Verizon.

Plus... AT&T has LTE in my area already anyway, so Verizon doesn't offer me any more than AT&T does. It actually offers me slightly less, because when I am in areas where I won't have LTE, AT&T's 3G is better. I do not travel that much, and when I travel for work, it is usually small towns, so they wont have LTE for either network yet.

9. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

Verizon is set to have their existing 3G footprint blanked with LTE by the end of 2013. Plus, they are ahead of schedule. That whole HSPA+ fallback won't really make a difference.

10. aristobrat macrumors G5

If you live in a market where a carrier has somehow magically deployed their brand-new LTE network to give the same great coverage that it took them YEARS to build out with their voice/3G networks, then I think you have a point.

But I think most people, for the next few years, are going to be living around areas with LTE coverage that is nowhere near as good as voice/3G coverage, which means their LTE devices are going to spend time on 3G networks.

The advantage in that case goes to AT&T. IMO, their HSPA/HSPA+ 3G networks EASILY beat the speed of Verizon's 3G network. Which is precisely why Verizon is running balls-to-the-wall to get LTE deployed as quickly as they can. They're at a total competitive disadvantage (speed wise) without it. Even T-Mobile has a 3G network that's a gazillion times faster...

11. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Yea, Verizon is out in 330 markets, and has the big cities (where I live and travel for work) covered.

So unless you live in the rural areas, I guess you can live with HSPDA+ and ATT's horrible customer service and unreliable dropped call statistic :rolleyes:

12. yeah macrumors 6502a

yeah

Verizon will be the first carrier in the US to deploy LTE+ (advanced). This should happen in the middle of 2013 or in the end of 2013.

13. cclloyd macrumors 68000

cclloyd

I thought that Sprint already won with WiMax which was the only one with true 4G speeds... it was only a battery issue.

14. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

WiMax is out of the race. It can hardly keep up with HSDPA let alone HSPA+/LTE. Sprint finally admitted to this with their 'Network Vision' of converting all existing WiMax cell sites to LTE status.

15. aristobrat macrumors G5

I don't live in a rural area -- I live in Virginia's largest city, where Verizon has been pimping their LTE network here for coming up on a year now.

Oh, and I'm a Verizon customer. iPhone 4s (on their 3G network) and iPad (on their LTE network).

At home, my iPhone 4s gets 4-5 bars of Verizon legendary voice/3G signal. Verizon's LTE signal (in the same location) is a completely different story. Check out the speedtest below, done on Verizon's LTE network, from one of those 330 markets you're talking about.

There's a huge difference between *ANY CARRIER* saying they have LTE coverage in a market, and a carrier having the same LTE coverage as they have voice/3G coverage. I'd personally be surprised if any carrier truly has many markets covered wall-to-wall. Right now it's a race to get an "LTE HERE" dot on as many markets as they can. Then they'll go and backfill the gaps in the markets. At least that's how they all did it last time.

Which means you don't have to be in a RURAL AREA to appreciate falling back to HSPA+ when you lose LTE.

[​IMG]

16. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Oh no my friend. I agree with you. I was responding perhaps a tad sarcastic to the person I quoted. My point is that Verizon has far more widespread coverage than AT&T, in terms of both 3G and LTE.

That's why I always laugh. Yea, ok, so AT&T's HSPDA+ (I refuse to call this 4G) may have some more coverage nationwide than Verizon's LTE, but Verizon's LTE covers a nearly large percentage of the population and is WAY faster. Plus, you just can't compare HSPDA+ to LTE, despite AT&T's conniving attempts to.

17. jediistar macrumors 6502

Actually, T-Mobile will be deploying LTE Advanced, otherwise known as 3GPP Release 10 right from the get go. AT&T and Sprint will also deploy this next year, but those will be upgrades, T-Mobile will be launching it right from the start.

18. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Simple, there ACTUALLY ARE places where AT&T does get service and Verizon doesn't. AT&T wins here.

19. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

And you definitely have a point here, but it's fair to say that there are FAR more places AT&T doesn't provide 3G than Verizon doesn't.

20. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

If you live in a major city it is kind of irrelevant. I have great service with both AT&T and Verizon. LTE works great on both networks, but I get a 25% discount with AT&T so I use them.

21. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Same thing here. LTE only matters if it's where you are.

22. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

They're just inept whereas Verizon is slimy.

A tough choice, I know, but I give a slight edge to AT&T.

23. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

To add to the topic at hand

Funny, I'm pretty sure Verizon's LTE has more coverage than AT&T's HSPDA+ network now.

24. antman2295 macrumors 6502

I personally think it won't make that much of a difference. I know my self, I don't have any issues with coverage, and I can only think of a dropped call where every other person didn't have service either. I don't understand everyone's complaints about At&t's customer service, I have only had a couple people that were frustrating, but I almost always get someone helpful. Just like any company they have some bad apples. We have been with "At&t" since 1996, and have always been taken care of. LTE currently isn't that big of a deal, seeing as most phones don't do a good job balancing battery life for the speed.

25. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

agreed about AT&T, I have never had an issue...granted I don't think I have ever called them about one. I use my phone, get a bill, pay the bill.