LTE chip for the next iPhone just revealed?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Big.Mac.Daddy, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

http://www.cultofmac.com/171890/qualcomm-just-announced-a-new-lte-chip-that-would-be-perfect-for-the-next-iphone/

Qualcomm just revealed an LTE chipset that supports SEVEN frequency bands :eek: including both 700mhz blocks of LTE spectrum that AT&T and Verizon have. All this in addition to being built on low power consuming 28nm process.

What do you guys think?

2. Spectrum Abuser, Jun 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2012

Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

If they're just announcing it chances are it's not in mass production. Still ample time for a fall release, but the window of opportunity is not getting any larger as the days go by.

"Qualcomm says the chips will go out in July and arrive in new phones by the end of the year. Coincidentally, Apple’s next iPhone is expected to drop in the November-October timeframe."(cultofmac)

That either means production has started or will start very soon. I'll sit on the fence on this one.

3. newyorksole macrumors 68030

Just because they JUST announced something doesn't mean it wasn't already massively produced.

4. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Not sure they're going to make it for the launch this fall the iPhone but it appears sanity will return with iPad 4 cellular.

18 SKU are a lot to manage.

5. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

...much like how Apple announces an iPhone and a few weeks later they have a few million available to buy since they had been secretly building them over the previous months.

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

From the original document:

7. marcusj0015 macrumors 65816

This is true of consumer devices, like games consoles and such, but Idk if it applies to OEM hardware, to be included in consumer products. :/ I hope so though.

8. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

This would be great as it would support Aussie and eu networks as well. Unlike the new iPad.

9. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

The 28nm MSM8960 SOC is already in production and used in the North American version of the GS3 and the HTC One X.

10. applefanDrew, Jun 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2012

applefanDrew macrumors 65816

They're gonna use the MDM9615 28nm LTE chip. It also does all the 3G bands.

11. newyorksole macrumors 68030

exxxxactly.

12. DroidConvert macrumors regular

Let's hope this one isn't a battery drain like the current LTE chips. I really think they jumped the gun with LTE since the chips were pushed out with no regard for the ungodly amount of battery they use.

When I had my Razr I had to keep LTE off most of the time just to get through the day. I think Apple is confident with the new chips and we should see reasonable power consumption from the iPhone 5.

13. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Yea we will. The new one is down to 28nm from 45 for the current LTE chips. Big power savings.

14. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

So far it's still speculation at this point.
    It is being assumed that Apple would go with the MDM9615 since they used the MDM9600 in the new iPad however the MDM9615 comes at a premium price per device ($3-$10 more per device).
    Doesn't sound like much, but buy a few million chips and it adds up fast.

The only difference between the MDM9615 and the MDM8960 is VoLTE support... and the price per chip.

Carriers aren't sending voice over their LTE radios yet and no one has said they will be anytime soon.
    Last report was still a year or two out and the standards for it aren't even finalized yet.

They both share the same core.

15. Hackintosh Sr. macrumors regular

Current lte is built on the same chip as the processor more importantly. My htc one x lasts as long as my iPhone 4s, so it can only get better