LTE in Chicago.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by misterjay, Sep 21, 2012.

1. misterjay macrumors regular

Blows major crotch.

Nuff said.

[​IMG]

Real irked... Was getting the same type of speeds on Straight Talk with my iPhone 4 to be quite frank..

2. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Outside of New York, Chicago is the largest city in the US in terms of population per area. Chicago will continue to develop.

3. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

In the suburbs of Chicago, I get almost 30 DL on LTE with my new iPad.

4. misterjay thread starter macrumors regular

Oh.. forgot to add.. AT&T.

Geez, I didn't expect for it to be this bad?

5. IlliniGuy76 macrumors regular

I'll post here as well... I'm in a burb just outside of Chicago.

image.png

6. misterjay thread starter macrumors regular

Hey, just checked the other thread you were in, saw that you are from the O.P. I'm down the street of ya, Palos Hills.

Dont know what's going on but seems like theres an issue around us..

7. ClemTiger0408 macrumors 6502

8. jkun macrumors member

I read that AT&T has only dedicated half the amount of spectrum to Chicago as it does to its other cities. So that is probably why!

9. KPOM macrumors G5

AT&T has half the LTE spectrum of Verizon in Chicago. LTE is going to be sub-par until they start turning off their 2G network. Had the T-Mobile deal gone through, they'd have gotten more spectrum, but since it didn't, this is what Chicago and a lot of AT&T LTE locations will be stuck with for a while.

10. jer9542 macrumors member

I was downtown in river north most of the day. I was getting between 20-25 mbps, highland park and lake forest about 35 and 19-25 respectively. Can't Complain

11. usmaak macrumors regular

ATT or Verizon?

12. mrtune macrumors 6502a

I'm about 30 min west of Chicago. Last night I got around 8mbps up and down.

I was hoping for a little faster, but still far and away better than what I was seeing on 3G with my iPhone 4.

I can't get close to these 20mbps+ speeds others are seeing elsewhere.

13. b24pgg macrumors 65816

Works great for me.

EDIT: Nevermind, just saw you're on AT&T (I'm on Verizon)

[​IMG]

14. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

wow! nice!!

15. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

Here's my results on my new iPhone 5. I am located in Cary (far NW suburbs). Not much faster than my 4S was.

Call quality has been good though. I'll have to run the same tests when I am at work on Monday from Lake Zurich.

Attached Files:

16. bboucher790, Sep 22, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2012

bboucher790 Suspended

bboucher790

The internet is complex. Numbers do not tell the whole story. If you look beyond numbers, you'll be surprised what matters in the real world.

30 Mbit is not currently needed for a phone. In fact, if you're going at a consistent 30mbit, you'll reach the average data cap (2GB) in about 10 minutes :eek:.

General web browsing, checking email, watching videos, downloading photos, playing games, getting sports scores, using Siri can all be done comfortably at the OP's speeds. In fact, if you look at real world tests higher numbers do not always equate to a better experience.

I'll use TMobile as an example. Studies have shown that Verizon's 3G network beats TMobile's much faster 3G network (and others) on a consistent basis, even when TMobile has the lower ping and higher data throughput. I'm not saying TMobile doesn't win some of the time, but overall, Verizon's real world experience is more consistent than TMobile's at lower speeds and higher ping. What's also shocking is how close Verizon's 3G experience is to their 4G experience.

Take the 4G vs 4G numbers with a grain of salt, as they don't elaborate on what "type" of 4G they're testing.

If you hover over the pictures, the pic name shows the location. The top left is Chicago:

Source: http://www.pcworld.com/article/255068/3g_4g_performance_map_speeds_from_everywhere_we_tested.html

Attached Files:

17. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

I'm in the near-west suburbs of Chicago. I did a few speed tests and averaged between 25 to 30 Mbps on the DL.

18. usmaak macrumors regular

My only concern about the slower speeds is if Verizon is nearing capacity in my area. If it becomes overloaded, it is no better than sprint. I know that getting huge speeds isn't important. What is important to me is that when I tap on a link, I don't have to wait a minute for something to happen. Most of the time, this is exactly what happens with sprint. It just sits and does nothing. Then when it does start to do something, it is really slow. Even with WiMAX on and working. I have little faith in sprint's big upgrade. I think that no matter what, they'll always be terrible in the Chicago area.
    To alleviate some of the problems I have, I have my phone rooted. I am connected to Verizon 3G by the prl that I've side loaded. I am looking forward to getting good speeds and response time without a hack.