LTE IS amazing!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Walter Bell, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Walter Bell macrumors regular

Well after being throttled for 4 months straight on ATT due to my unlimited data plan, I decided to jump ship to Verizon to take advantage of double your data on their LTE network. I solely did this to lock in the data plan for the next iPhone, but had to get an android phone for now. Anyways, this speed is amazing. The call quality is also amazing on Verizon and I have yet to drop a call (drop about 8-10 a day with att). And the best thing is I'll never get throttled.

Can't believe I didn't do this sooner.

2. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

My city will have LTE on AT&T by this summer. I can't wait to try it out. What Android phone did you get?

3. astrorider macrumors 6502

Won't you have to pay the full, unsubsidized price for the next iPhone then? :confused:

4. Walter Bell thread starter macrumors regular

I picked up the galaxy nexus. pure Android from Google> than all other Android phones IMO.

As far as the the iPhone goes, yes I'll pay full price. Gotta pay to play. Not looking for any handouts.

5. saving107, Apr 11, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2012

saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Is paying full price for a device really a better alternative than just paying the extra $20 a month for the 5GB plan?

2GB Data - $30, with promotion you get 4GB for the same $30
    5GB Data - $50 (difference - $20 plus you get an extra 1GB of usage)

$20 x 24 months = $480

Full retail 16GB iPhone = $649, minus $199 for subsidized = $450

Difference you save in the end, $30 (assuming you get the 16GB model, getting a 32GB or 64GB will give you negative savings).

6. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

I just found out Sprint will be rolling out LTE in my neck of the woods (Fort Myers, Florida) starting in August. Bring on the LTE iPhone 5 :D

7. terraphantm macrumors 68040

He could recover some of the cost by selling his android phone when the time comes. And the savings will increase the longer he keeps Verizon (assuming they don't just permanently double the bandwidth at some point)

8. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Android phones lose value fast...

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

How's the battery life with LTE on?
    Hope if the next iphone is LTE compatible doesnt have the drainage issue that most LTE phones do now.

10. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Indeed. But he's already saving money by doing things this way (assuming he would've gone for the 5GB plan otherwise). So anything he gets on top of that is just icing on the cake. I'm pretty sure he'd still be able to make around $150 or so without too much difficulty.

11. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

The 50 dollar plan at verizon would give you 10GB not 5 theyre doubling everything 2GB and above

12. rjohnstone, Apr 11, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2012

rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Nexus phones don't... he made a smart purchase decision. ;)

It will depend on the combination of the battery capacity and radio Apple chooses.
    The 4S currently has a 1432mAh battery. If they can get one in the 1600mAh range tucked into the new one, they should be ok.
    The Qualcomm radio in the SGS2 Skyrocket for example, is very efficient and does not suck the battery dry like older LTE radios.
    Granted it also has an 1850mAh battery.
    I have one and can get through an entire day on LTE and still have approx. 20% battery left when I go to bed.

13. cynics macrumors G3

LTE is nice I've been using it for quite awhile now on a tablet. Great thing about Verizon is their free hotspot on tablet plans. Since I drive all day I keep the tablet set to a wifi hotspot and us my iPhone at LTE speeds. Of course if Verizon's 3g didn't suck so bad I wouldn't like it as much...

14. Walter Bell thread starter macrumors regular

I was expecting one of these :)

15. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

So my reply met your expectations.

16. Walter Bell thread starter macrumors regular

I got Verizon's 10Gb for $50. I have an 18% corp discount with Verizon with brings it down to $41 a month. So for $11 I get 7GB of extra unthrottled LTE data.

I think many would agree that it would be reasonable if att would offer to charge a bit more for unlimited data in exchange for no throttling. Hell they could have done what Verizon does which is throttle during peak times
    I would have paid more. As it stands now I felt there was no reason to have unlimited. sure I could use as much as I wanted but terrible throttled speeds, frequent dropped calls, lackluster signal and service was finally enough to drive me away. At least with Verizon I know that I get what I pay for, where as with ATT, it seems to change on a month to month basis.

17. iPhalandrew macrumors member

So if you have the double data plan for a 4G phone...then go to an iPhone. Do you get to keep the doubled 4 GB's or does it go back to 2?

18. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

If you dropping calls 8-10 times daily, that right their is a sign you were with the wrong carrier for your location. I have Verizon 4G LTE with my portable mifi, and I agree... it's amazing (when I have a good 4G signal). What is not so great is when 4G LTE switches to 3G when the 4G signal is low. The lag time in switching is horrible... and 3G is some times slow. AT&T 3G is pretty solid in my location... but that isn't the only reason I stayed with AT&T. The reason why I am still with AT&T is because my phone coverage is better in my location. Verizon phone coverage is weak in our area, and tends to drain batteries. I'm a customer of both carriers... but both sides aren't perfect. I'm a believer in shopping for the carrier that gives you the best service in your location... and not just the perks on data plans.

19. Walter Bell thread starter macrumors regular

I have about the same bars in most of the areas but call stability is vastly improved with Verizon. I colud almost pinpoint when I would drop a call. Add in the random multiple drops I had had enough.

As far as area goes, I live in Hawaii on the island of Oahu. I find it sad that ATT can't at least provide a stable network for calls on an island this small. I know being an island has its own difficulties, but money can overcome that which ATT makes plenty of.

To the poster about doing the swap to the iPhone. if you go from an LTE Device to a non LTE device you will lose the plan. being that the current iPhone isn't LTE, it wont work.

----------

I have also noticed Verizon tends to be better near areas with a lot of military infrastructure. Being that hawaii is a heavily military populated area, that would kind of make sense. Is Verizon the major wireless provider the US Gov?

20. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Does Verizon LTE allow voice and data simultaneously?

21. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Yes

22. Walter Bell thread starter macrumors regular

which is another reason I didn't go to Verizon sooner. I tried before but losing the ability for voice and data was a deal breaker. With LTE problem solved.

I will say one thing about the nexus, I do like the headphone Jack on the bottom. Hard to judge battery life as I'm in the honey moon phase and my phone doesn't get a chance to rest.

23. Skullbussa macrumors member

Switching from AT&T to Verizon's LTE was no less shocking than going from dial-up modem to broadband. The internet connection I have on my android phone is faster than the one I get to my house via Time Warner. It's simply incredible.

I can't wait to buy an iPhone that is LTE capable. (I hate Android...)

24. iamthedudeman macrumors 65816

You guy's do know that ATT also has LTE, and that it is faster than Verizons?

Switching from ATT to Verizon is good if you get better coverage where you live. But switching for the sake of switching is not a good idea. Verizon throttles too. Same as ATT.

ATT LTE to 3G HSPA+ speeds is not a big drop off in data rates compared to Verizon. On verizon you can go from 20Mps down to 2Mps down. And until Verizon has nation wide and complete 100 percent LTE coverage your performance will suffer compared to ATT.

Heck, ATT HSPA+ is almost as fast as Verizons LTE.

25. sbddude macrumors 6502a

You could have kept your att unlimited plan. With a lte phone you get 5gb before throttling happens.