LTE is the problem!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gentlefury, Oct 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I've been trying to figure out what is killing my data since I got my iphone 5. It's LTE!

I live in a 3G area and since fri I have used 25mb. I drove to work this morning and listened to a podcast like I always do. In 30 mins I had burned 706MB!!!!! I turned off LTE for the rest of the drive and used nothing after that.

So basically, the one feature I have been so hyped about is useless. Really sad.

As you can see its 9:25am in this pic. I left at 9:00 and checked before I left, it was at 25MB.

I had no apps running in the bg and I disabled cell use for iTunes and everything else native.

Attached Files:

2. richmds macrumors regular

So LTE is working and providing fast speed I dont see how it is useless.

Perhaps the tiered charges for data plans is what should be complained about.

3. gentlefury thread starter macrumors 68030

You think eating 700MB in 30 mins with the screen off is working?

Do you work for Verizon?

I guess that is working if you want to spend $1000 a month on data.

I guess I will have to use 3G and wait a few extra seconds and use 20MB a day.

4. phillyphill macrumors 6502

phillyphill

Yeah I still fail to see how its useless. Because you didn't realize LTE uses data faster than 3g.. Dont watch netflix on LTE you'll be in for a shocker:rolleyes:

5. gentlefury thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah I was watching Netflix while driving and the phone sleeping...thanks for the advice.

Does anyone here read or just make moronic knee jerk comments?

How does faster data = 50x more data?

If I drive 30 miles at 10 miles per hour or 30 miles at 100mph I have still driven 30 miles!!

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

LTE is going to burn through data caps faster because it delivers faster data. You want to know how not to go over? Don't abuse it. LTE is not a substitute for your @home internet line. Nor is it a mobile home internet line with unlimited usage.

7. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

Are you sure you have nothing else running in the background? I see the GPS icon in the status bar of your screenshot. What triggered that to be on? were you using a mapping app that loads maps in real time?

With regard to the Podcast you mentioned, did you specifically download the Podcast before you left, or were you streaming it on demand?

Also, it appears you are on Verizon. I believe there is a bug with how the Verizon phones record Cellular Data Use, which Verizon has acknowledged, and they've come out and said that people won't be charged for overages this month as a result. Did you check your Verizon account to see if the device actually used the 706 MB or is it just the phone misrepresenting the amount used?

8. gentlefury thread starter macrumors 68030

So my phone sleeping while charging on the freeway is abusing it huh?

So how do you not abuse it? Turn your phone off?

9. KPOM macrumors G5

Are you sure you aren't downloading anything, or have something set to download? Just because the phone is LTE doesn't mean it will download any more data. It just makes it easier to download more data more quickly. If I don't download something, it doesn't matter whether I'm hooked up to LTE, 3G, or 2G. Something must be active before it will download any data.

What's probably happening is that you are downloading a podcast and using up your data allowance. Perhaps on 3G you weren't downloading as much since it was taking longer to do so. With LTE it's almost like being on your home broadband network, and so you may not notice that you are downloading so much data since it's so quick.

10. phillyphill macrumors 6502

phillyphill

I guess i should have broken it down for you. Now that you have an LTE device if you stream things they will use more data. I was using netflix as an example if you stream that on 3g you wont use as much data as LTE. Now was that so hard?:rolleyes::confused:

Wasn't a jerk comment but this was one. ASS

11. gentlefury thread starter macrumors 68030

As I said, I had no applications running in the BG, I turned off all cell usage for iTunes, etc, and after I turned off LTE the podcast continued at the same quality and no additional data was consumed.

12. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

First of all, if that happens, then check in your iPhone what is active. Troubleshoot through your problem instead of blaming it on a wireless transfer technology. Usually, there is always something gobbling data. Find it and fix it.

In my case it was Pandora. But I don't really care since I have AT&T's unlimited plan still.

13. gentlefury thread starter macrumors 68030

If you actually took a second to think logically instead of just assuming I am watching movies with the screen off while driving, you would understand what I am saying.

14. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Ever heard of Sprint and their unlimited LTE offering? :D

15. gentlefury thread starter macrumors 68030

So if the phone is asleep, and the only thing running is a low quality podcast, and disabling LTE stops the data consumption, how do I go about troubleshooting the problem, or determining that it isn't simply the use of LTE?

16. phillyphill macrumors 6502

phillyphill

....... you still don't get it. Ill just stop. Everyone has already explained it. If you don't get it tough.

17. gentlefury thread starter macrumors 68030

I use Verizon because the service is good and the LTE is super fast...but honestly, if sprint LTE is faster than 3G I might consider it.

18. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

OP, did you update your Carrier Settings? For Verizon iPhone's it should be Verizon 13.1 this stops a data leak while connected to WiFi.

19. bostonte macrumors regular

..... because it had already been downloaded?

20. KPOM macrumors G5

See the post above. There was a bug that was causing the phone to use LTE data instead of Wi-Fi. Did you download the updated carrier settings? Go to Settings>General>About. In Carrier, it should read Verizon 13.1. If it says 13.0 then you need to download an update. It should have pushed out automatically, but if necessary, call Verizon or go to a store and have them help you with it. Also contact Verizon to make sure they don't charge you for the data.

Merely being connected to LTE won't use up any data.

21. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Are you sure it was on low quality? Are you sure it was the only thing running? You did mention running Netflix before. Did you run that over Wi-Fi? Are you sure you did over Wi-Fi? If not, then why the surprise.

Also, was that podcast the only thing being downloaded? Or did you indadvertedly allow other subscribed podcasts to download?

22. gentlefury thread starter macrumors 68030

You don't get it, obviously. I don't know how much more clear I can possibly be.

LTE on....one low res podcast playing and nothing else = 706MB in 25 mins.

LTE off...same podcast playing = 30 mins later 706MB still used.

As a matter of fact, since I disabled LTE I am still at 706MB received, and that was 2.5 hours ago.

It can't be any simpler!!!!

I just have to assume you work for Verizon because you sound exactly like their customer "support" people.

Has anyone else experienced this, or is everyone going to just defend their stance that LTE uses more data to do nothing simply because it is faster at doing nothing.

23. nparmelee macrumors 6502

Um, I think you need to breathe a moment and please look and see that there is some good advice here. Were you downloading the podcast while you were listening or did you have it downloaded before you started off? Others are warning you that apps that do video streaming will eat up even more data. Some podcasts are video podcasts as well, if you were downloading as you listened, even if you weren't watching the video, you would still be downloading the video and audio.

Tips for you would be to make sure you download the podcasts you want to listen to before leaving your wifi area. Also watch for the Verizon fix for the erroneous amounts of data they are reporting as being used.

24. gentlefury thread starter macrumors 68030

I HAVE NEVER MENTIONED RUNNING NETFLIX NOR HAVE I EVER USED NETFLIX!!!! Holy crap, get over netflix!!!!!!!!!!

25. armandxp macrumors 6502

armandxp

I streamed a couple podcasts (video) last month, and they were hd broadcasts, I hit 2 GB in just a few days when I go the new i5. I've been watching everything I do now, to make sure I'm not eating tons of data up too soon! Where the speed on LTE is so fast, it triggers the best quality data on the other side and it ends up eating up two to three times more data now. Bleh! :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.