LTE memphis sucks

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gigapocket1, Sep 22, 2012.

1. gigapocket1 macrumors 65816

Im currently living in both Orlando and Memphis.. Was happy to see memphis getting LTE... i had a flight from orlando to memphis last night... LTE in Orlando.. I was getting almost 5x the speed i am getting here in memphis.. i ran several tests here in Memphis.. i only ran 1 in Florida which is the first one on the list

Attached Files:

2. spades1412 macrumors 6502

I'm getting far worse in St. Paul, MN.

This is from my front yard. Its a struggle to get the phone to stay on LTE. Might be better in others parts of the city.

3. gigapocket1 thread starter macrumors 65816

This is horrible... I'm pretty sure both of us are getting faster speeds on AT&T 3G network.

4. AustinIllini macrumors G3

AustinIllini

Well at least service can only get better, right? 3G is at its ceiling. The ceiling on LTE is crazy fast. Almost too fast to notice.

5. gigapocket1 thread starter macrumors 65816

True. But still is disappointing.. They launched LTE in our areas when it's really not ready for prime time

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its unfortunate that AT&T is playing catch up and looks like they may be cutting some corners on performance. I've not heard any complaints about LTE performance in the boston area but that doesn't help you

7. mpossoff macrumors 68020

It's possible that as LTE is launched in a specific area it will get better. I experienced this in Philly. Now LTE rocks in Philly.

8. spades1412 macrumors 6502

Great point.

I was excited to hear they flipped the switch in my area when I bought my phone. The sales rep I bought from seemed pretty excited to tell me as well. Its very disappointing to have to turn LTE off to get faster data speeds.

I'm sure it will improve but LTE was a selling point for me with this phone.

----------

That's great to hear. I was hoping they didn't just flip the switch and call it done.

9. Jman13 macrumors 68000

Wow. LTE isn't live in Columbus yet, but I get between 5-9 Mbps on 3G now, so I hope when it goes live later this year, I get at least 10-15.

10. MemphisDave macrumors regular

MemphisDave

I feel ya... I thought the new network would be similar to Nashville or murfreesboro. Someone in Murfreesboro on the forums hit 45mbs/sec.

I live downtown Memphis and hit 5-7mbs/sec Max. I told my friends don't get a iphone 5 until the network is fixed. I'm getting the same speeds at my friends with iphone 4S 4G. I don't think the LTE network is actually up and running based on the speedtest my friends have ran several months ago and this weekend.

MemphisDave

11. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

I live in the Memphis area and today rolling into work I hit constant 40's with Verizon LTE. I have had a Verizon LTE iPad though as my tester before I made the switch from ATT to Verizon. Only issue I have is that my house is on a borderline connection where I have 1 bar of LTE on one side of the house and Extended Network on the other side of the house. so I am tending to drop calls at home. I might go pick up a network extender today for home use....in my opinion worth the hassle than going back to ATT.