LTE Netflix

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BFizzzle, Oct 1, 2012.

1. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

How long does you battery last when watching netflix over LTE?!

I get about 4.5 hours of continous netflix on LTE. I usually would get 5.5-6+ on my 4s with hspa.

Not sure if this is normal?

2. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

There are alot of variables. Could be your signal strength, could be the power that LTE is using. You might want to test your results by turning off LTE and running the battery dry on "4G" and see what kind of results you get.

3. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Seems solid to me.

Bet you're burning through crazy bandwidth though! :)

4. BFizzzle thread starter macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

I am with my unlimited data on verizon :)

----------

ill try it out on my 3g. i have verizon now so no hspa like i did on my 4s

5. dw3bb10 macrumors 6502

Dude, LTE radios are more power hungry than 3G radios.

6. milan03 macrumors 6502

milan03

That's not necessarily true anymore with this 28nm single chip solution.
    They used to be though.

7. xofruitcake macrumors 6502a

In theory, you get unlimited but you get throttled if and when the network is busy.....An HD movie is about 2Gb. so essentially after the first movie of the month, you are at the mercy of network traffic around you...

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30686_3-5...erizon-also-throttles-unlimited-data-service/

The way it works is that if you use more than 2GB of data per month, Verizon is likely to identify you as being in the top 5 percent of data users. Once you've been identified as a heavy data user, when the cell site you are in gets congested, Verizon will slow down your access until the network is no longer so crowded.
    Once the congestion has subsided or you move to a different cell site that isn't congested, your speed returns to normal. Depending on how congested the network is your service could be slowed for a few minutes or for several hours.

8. BFizzzle thread starter macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

hahahah before you tell me how MY plan works.. read the article you posted :) 8th paragraph

so no... i have unlimted.. unthorttled unlimited..

and further more.. wtf 2gb per hd movie

hahahahahah
    try 300 mb per 2 hours of HD streaming

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/how-much-monthly-bandwidth-doe-136401

do your research before you start telling people how stuff works

9. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

That's only for 3G. They don't throttle LTE (yet).

From your link:

10. BFizzzle thread starter macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

Yeah yet lol check out the thread about the verizon hotspot unlimited.. Several people on there bragging about how they use 100s of gbs a month how they replaced theirs home Internet with it.. The people who are prolly causing me to get 10 Mbps today instead of my usually 30 ;)it's going to get us throttled

11. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

Does netflix play a higher quality stream when on LTE?

From today's Anandtech podcast, it looks like the LTE chip is more efficient than the 3G one for the same amount of workload.

12. BFizzzle thread starter macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

well i thought it did (quality on LTE), i am testing my battery life today on 3g.. but it appears to be the same quality on 3g?

when i would stream on 3g in he past on my 4s if i had a connection of 1mbps or less it would be pixelated a bit. So far i have pixelation on 3G.

maybe im crazy.

i wish it would do like the xbox app, start streaming in a low quality so it loads faster, buffer in the background while you watch for a minute then change to HD.
    on 3G on my iphone 5 i will have to wait a bit for it to buffer.

13. BFizzzle thread starter macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

FYI if anyone cares..

ive been using 3g today. 2 hours of netflix only at 69% usually im at 40-50% by now.
    so im thinking its either using LTE chip/or just the fact that i only get 2-3 bars of LTE in my office.

14. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

I love people who dont even read the links that they use to try and prove a point. The link disproves the point, lol

The policy only applies to customers with unlimited data plans on the 3G network. Verizon doesn't slow down data for 4G customers.

15. dccorona, Oct 2, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2012

dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

EDIT: just read your article. It says an HD movie is 3600 MB, which is 3.6GB. You missed a 0 there

----------

Yep. People think the companies throttle and push people to tired plans because they're evil. Well, they are evil in ways, but that's not one of them. They literally cannot handle the strain on their networks. It's not designed to serve that much data.

People continue to do that, Verizon will haven't choice but to start throttling on 4G as well

16. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

I'd put my money on that.

17. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

The iPhone only plays in SD. So about 600MB per hour.

18. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

Found out why. Netflix will use more data on LTE.

Source: http://appadvice.com/appnn/2012/10/its-pretty-stupid-ridiculous-how-much-data-netflix-uses-over-lte

Attached Files:

19. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

What I want to know is are any of you working for a living or is this all you do all day?:eek:

20. james92se macrumors 6502a

How do you get away with spending hours watching movies at work? And it sounds like this is routine for your work day!? Must be nice!

21. Bswartz95 macrumors 6502

Bswartz95

Signal strength and bars of service. I was under the impression that the bars we see on the device are for voice calls. Verizon told me that the bars have absolutely nothing to do with data.

22. BFizzzle thread starter macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

oh dope! i did. bahaha thanks.

yeah i wonder why it causes more battery when i have a lower signal.

nice find.

Dialer analyst manager for a call center in the IT department :)
    Do alot compiling sql statments/building/changing algorithms/running reports...so there are long wait times 20-30 min at times where i can not do anything but wait for it to load. When not loading its just playing in my ear so i can listen and glance occasionally. making 50k a year it isnt a bad setup :p so id say yes i work for a living.. just lucked out and am able to do this while i do.

it is nice :p see above