LTE or bust?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by randy98mtu, Sep 25, 2012.

1. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

So just a few minutes ago, my iPhone 5 started acting up. Inside our building I lose LTE if I get far from the windows. It switches to 4G, then within a few seconds, the 4G disappears and I have nothing. Yesterday (and for the past few years on my 4) I had great coverage inside the building on 3G/4G. I tried rebooting the phone and it made no difference. Is anyone else having any strange problems? I come back near the windows and my LTE comes back and pulls data just fine. I walk back into the building and it just goes to "no data connection" If it keeps up today I'll try a restore tonight. After that I guess it's off to the Apple store. :(

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I find when I'm in my office I drop out of LTE to 3G. I don't think there's anything wrong if you're losing the LTE signal within an office building.

3. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

My RF reception has been as good if not slightly better with the 5 compared to my 4S. I find that one or two bars of LTE still gives outstanding speed and phone sound quality. No more echo and I have had people actually comment on the sound quality when calling them.

For me it has been a WIN WIN:)

4. randy98mtu thread starter macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

I understand losing LTE inside the building. I'm saying yesterday I would drop down to 4G. I did speed tests and I was still pulling 6 down, 1 up. Today, I lose LTE, I lose ALL data. It doesn't go to 4G. It doesn't go to 3G. If I try to access anything, the phone says "no data connection."

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

When you say drop to 4G, do you mean 3G because LTE technically is 4G

6. emjaycee18 macrumors regular

My guess is they're on AT&T and referring to LTE vs. HSPA+, since HSPA+ displays 4G on the phone.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Got it, I'm on VZW so I have no such display.

8. randy98mtu thread starter macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

Yes, I'm on AT&T so when I lose LTE, I typically go to a 4G (HSPA+) on the display. I like the term others here use, "faux G"

I tried reset all network settings and it made no difference. Then I was in a place where I had no LTE and I lost all data. I went under Cellular and turned LTE off. This got my 4G back and I had data again. Turned LTE back on and I kept my 4G. Walked back to where I could get LTE, then back to 4G and it's working fine again. Dunno what that was all about. Hopefully it doesn't keep happening.

9. randy98mtu thread starter macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

I just mentioned this to my brother-in-law. His Nexus S does the same thing on VZW he said. Curious if anyone else here is experiencing it with an iPhone 5. He does the same thing, toggle LTE off and back on and it starts working again.