LTE Problem?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by apple111115, Feb 8, 2013.

1. apple111115 macrumors regular

Okay, here is the issue. I have been using AT&T LTE in a few areas for a few months now, and my iPhone 5 now seems to be having problems connecting. Sometimes it connects where it used to, other times it doesn't.

Interestingly enough, if I go into settings and turn LTE off and back on, it connects to LTE (but it might move back to HSPA+ later).

All in all, it is a very confusing situation, but to summarize, LTE does not seem to be working as well as it used to.

Any suggestion?

2. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I think what is happening may be that more and more people are getting LTE devices and the network is under strain at certain times in certain places. My first AT&t LTE device was my iPad 3, and I got 50Mb/s down regularly. Now with my iPhone 5, my max is 22MB/s and at lunchtime and rush hour on a workday data is unusable even though I'm on LTE.

3. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

thats exactly what my problem was. the map says i had LTE coverage, but only 2 bars. it would switch back to 4G in a few minutes. i ended up leaving at&t because of it.

4. apple111115 thread starter macrumors regular

A bit of an update. I finally got some LTE closer to me, and here is the issue. Once my phone leaves my Wi-Fi network, it will normally go to varying bars of LTE. My phone seems to stay on LTE all throughout town, except for when I check my data (go into the phone dialer and dial a number), it then switches to "AT&T 4G." I believe it is doing this as AT&T does not support calling over LTE, but the problem is that it DOESN'T switch back to LTE when I am done using the dialer. I have to go into settings, turn LTE off and on, then it stays on the network.......

Thanks for any help! :)

5. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

when you say "using the dialer" you mean looking around the phone app? or actually placing calls?
    that behavior isn't normal still, it should auto switch back to LTE have you been messing around with the carrier files by any chance? a restore might help

6. apple111115 thread starter macrumors regular

No, I have not been messing with any carrier files. :)

Oops, and yes, I meant placing a call.

7. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

Try restoring that might do the trick

8. TheProFTW macrumors regular

Did you try waiting a few minutes? It usually takes a while until it switches back to LTE

9. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

The iPhone on AT&T connects to the stronger of the two signals. The strength at a particular location is also affected by the season of the year. In the winter when trees are bare,it has less blocking the signal. Coming off a call the phone will again compare the two signals and default to the strongest.

If you have a good strong LTE signal it will stay locked on but when the signal starts to drop it will switch.

10. apple111115 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone for your responses. It is kind of odd. If I am coming from an area with LTE and get closer to my house, my phone seems to stay on LTE. However, if I am in HSPA + and I go near my home, it sometimes stays on HSPA +. Although, it does seem to switch sometimes to LTE from HSPA+ in those areas. It is kind of confusing, I don't really know what is true myself, LOL.

I think you guys are right. (I live in an area without a super strong signal).

Thanks!

11. apple111115 thread starter macrumors regular

Quick question, is it possible the LTE signal is weaker than "4G" even if on the same tower together?

And I think you guys are definitely right with the weakened signal (as when I don't have super strong service it sometimes preferred HSPA+, and other times LTE). :)

12. BMNEUR macrumors member

BMNEUR

I'm originally from Chicago and we all know how lovely AT&T LTE is there so I definitely know the feeling. Ever since I've moved down to Louisville, I notice that I frequently change from HSPA+ to LTE and vice versa. I can usually trigger it by walking about 10-15 feet and it annoys me greatly. However, my speed is significantly faster compared to AT&T's Chicago market that doesn't seem to get much love. Turning LTE off and back on again usually resolves my problem. iPhones connect wherever the strongest signal is, and it appears to be HSPA+ for you.