Lte question from Uk user.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Hi

In the Uk we do not have Lte / 4g right now.

Does the iohone 5 have a toggle switch in settings to enable or disable thus feature.

Thanks.

Quu

macrumors 68030
Apr 2, 2007
What I want to know is if Three's LTE network that they intend to launch will be supported by the currently sold iPhone 5 or if a new iPhone 5 with a tweaked frequency range for the LTE chip will be required similar to how it has been done in America with AT&T and Verizon needing different phone SKU's to use LTE.

fat jez

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
Glasgow, UK
What I want to know is if Three's LTE network that they intend to launch will be supported by the currently sold iPhone 5
Yes it will. Three purchased the excess spectrum from EE (in 2x15MHz chunks). As this is at 1800MHz, it will work in the same way as EE's LTE network when it launches. That's the good news. The bad news is that 3 have only just signed a deal with Samsung to deploy their LTE network (so it will take time to roll this out and test it) and EE do not have to free up the spectrum (which is being used for Orange and T-Mobile's 2G GSM networks) until September next year.

Quu

macrumors 68030
Apr 2, 2007
Yes it will. Three purchased the excess spectrum from EE (in 2x15MHz chunks). As this is at 1800MHz, it will work in the same way as EE's LTE network when it launches. That's the good news. The bad news is that 3 have only just signed a deal with Samsung to deploy their LTE network (so it will take time to roll this out and test it) and EE do not have to free up the spectrum (which is being used for Orange and T-Mobile's 2G GSM networks) until September next year.
I see, thanks.

fat jez

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
Glasgow, UK
generally speaking the carrier updates control what is available/hidden. I suspect that if this is present on a phone that will not be available on an LTE network, it's because the network has not updated the carrier update to hide it.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
It can. I've not noticed any LTE networks in my if I turn off automatic network selection though, despite living and working right beside Orange's Testbed (I'm an ex-Orange engineer, work for one of their suppliers now).

That's good it can be toggled. I'm using 02 network and after reading posts from our friends across the pond about Lte sucking battery life it's a spec I would like to turn off ,even tho we don't have Lte or 4g available yet.

andybno1

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2007
Liverpool, UK
That's good it can be toggled. I'm using 02 network and after reading posts from our friends across the pond about Lte sucking battery life it's a spec I would like to turn off ,even tho we don't have Lte or 4g available yet.
you will have to wait till next iPhone and hope that supports O2's LTE frequency as the current iPhone 5 does not

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
you will have to wait till next iPhone and hope that supports O2's LTE frequency as the current iPhone 5 does not
Thanks dude. I'm aware of this and fully expect 02 and the other networks making a nice profit out of charging upgrade fee's for the Lte/4g version.

At that time some people will snap up a bargain on the older ip5.

I'd rather make do with a slower connection with better battery life. Also I'm on1gb a month and don't see that lasting too long on the faster connection and download speeds !

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Just visited my local 02 store with a working demo model and it seems that the Lte toggle is hidden.

Mercenary

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
Just visited my local 02 store with a working demo model and it seems that the Lte toggle is hidden.
O2 don't have LTE and when they do it won't work with the currently available models. Apple may release another model as they did with the CDMA 4S

Azzin

macrumors 601
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
Good info as always FJ.... ;)

Lyn2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
I'm on Virgin and it's toggled On. Getting 16-19mbps downloads which is amazing in rural Bedfordshire.