LTE speed way down since 2 gb

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sclawis300, Oct 24, 2013.

1. sclawis300 macrumors 65816

So I have noticed that my LTE speed has dropped 10mb/sec since I passed the 2GB mark on my unlimited verizon plan. This seems a little too convenient to be a coincidence. I am now only getting speeds around 5 mb instead of 15-18. Not happy.

Anyone else seeing this?

2. VinoGrande macrumors member

Sounds like you're being throttled! Welcome to "unlimited data!"

3. sclawis300 thread starter macrumors 65816

Is there no throttling message that you get? Also, everything I read said that they didn't throttle LTE; has that changed?

I have no idea if that is the proper way to use a semicolon, but I wanted I do it anyway because I am pretty sure I have never used one.

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

If 5Mbps is what Verizon throttles its unlimited customers to, there are a lot of AT&T Unlimited users who would consider you lucky.

5. wxman2003 Suspended

I am on Verizon and easily go over 2GB a month on unlimited, and have not seen any drop in speeds. Verizon does not throttle LTE.

6. joshdammit macrumors 6502

Your first semicolon has been a success; that is exactly the way to use it. ;)

I don't know Verizon too well, but that sounds like something they would do. Seems kind of odd that they'd throttle you after a measly 2gb, and the "throttled" speed you're getting is like, decent 3G speeds right there. I imagine if you were throttled, it'd be 2G.

7. Jimbo47, Oct 24, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2013

Jimbo47 macrumors 6502a

Verizon does NOT throttle LTE, only 3G. Throttling only happens if you are connected to a congested tower. What is considered "congested" is beyond me. It's probably just some network issues. I just tested mine out, and i'm only getting 5mb when I usually get around 15-20.

Edit: I should mention that even unlimited customers on LTE don't get throttled. Verizon owns more LTE spectrum than any other carrier, so they have no need to throttle at this time.