LTE vs. Unlimited Data...Anyone Else?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by supervelous, Sep 11, 2012.

1. supervelous macrumors 6502

I have unlimited data on AT&T. Verizon has LTE in my area, AT&T does not currently. My contract is up, and I am inclined to move to Verizon, but would in turn lose my unlimited data.

Anyone else facing the same dilemma, coverage vs. grandfathered unlimited data?

2. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Depends on your monthly usage. I don't think I could honestly say unlimited data is worth the slow data speeds. LTE is amazing.

3. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

How much self discipline do you have? AT&T will have LTE in your area eventually, probably within the next couple of months to a year.

If you switch, you'll be stuck with tiered data forever. If you stay, you'll have unlimited. Can you live <1 year without LTE?

4. xnickitynickx macrumors regular

xnickitynickx

That's kinda my situation. One of the lines on our plan is upgrading to the new iPhone. We're trying to decide whether or not to change everyone over to share everything on VZW or just the one line. I think until I eventually upgrade, i'd rather have unlimited.

5. golfesv macrumors member

At&t

Stick with AT&T they will have 4G LTE and should be faster than Verizon plus you have 4G HPSA+ to fall back on instead of a slow 3G.

6. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Absolutely, coverage comes first, so test out Verizon or ask someone that lives near you (neighbor) and works with you (co-worker).

It seems Verizon is in general better with coverage, but particularly for LTE.

If you're looking for LTE coverage, Verizon wins hands down. They have it in 7 times as many markets than AT&T does. Likely all of the cities that AT&T is starting to launch it in too.

7. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

something people really over look when talking about "unlimited" is how much you actually get before the cap. Yes, it is not unlimited, but att does not cap their LTE plans until 5GB.....that amount of data would cost $50, vs the $30 you pay with unlimited....big difference. IMO, the "unlimited" plan is still golden and not worth giving up :)

8. cableguy619 macrumors 6502

For a single user or two users but when you get into adding family to the play 5-6 phones you really need to number crunch and see what's works

9. KPOM macrumors G5

True, but on the other hand, they also don't enable wi-fi hot spot or FaceTime with the grandfathered unlimited plans.

10. HeyGreggie macrumors 65816

HeyGreggie

Exactly.

Just got off the phone with Verizon wireless. I AVERAGE 15.7 gbs of data.. MONTHLY. Sometimes.. I don't bother connecting to wifi, and I use: Spotify, Netflix, Pandora, games, apps, etc. Sure.. I have wifi at home, and at work..

But truth be told.. I could use the internet on my macbook for that, however, sometimes, it's easier to use my device.

Granted..

Verizon gave me this option. $40 live access fee + $130 for 16gb of data, unlimited texts/calls...

That's $170.. before their taxes and subcharges.

My bill now is $129... $89 with the $30 data.

Why exactly would I pay roughly $50 more for the same usage because Verizon wants to change the rules? As if my iphone 4s service hasnt been going on and off for MONTHS because of the clogged 3g network.

In a year Verizon has done away with:
    - New Every Two
    - $100-$150 upgrade discounts. [Now everythign is $50]
    - Early upgrades
    - Unlimited Data

What they'll do next is get EVERYONE on 4g, then give data on 3g cheaper when nobody uses it.

Moral: Yep.. Keeping my unlimited data. Yep, paying full retail.

11. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I mean if I am going to be using a laptop, I usually am in an area with free wifi...otherwise my phone can surf the web. Also, how many people really use facetime over cellular? That is a gimmicky thing trying to "con" people into switching to the shared plans.

12. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

damn son, how do you manage to get that much with it throttled?! the most i have gotten is 7-8 GB on my att unlimited

13. HeyGreggie macrumors 65816

HeyGreggie

Verizon doesnt throttle. But I rather them call me throttling, then pay $10 for going over more than 5mb per gb. Not how I function.

$129 > $180.

14. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

oh okay i thought you were on ATT like me.. my bad.. i thought verizon does throttle untill the tower you are connected to is less congested, where as ATT throttles until your next billing cycle

15. CH34P3T macrumors regular

I have AT&T unlimited data as well and although there's no LTE coverage in my area yet, I don't plan on switching carriers to lose unlimited data. HSPA+ speeds are decent enough to hold me over until there is 4G LTE in my area.