LTE was just added in my area and is fast at AT&T store...were the speeds boosted?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ObsidianBlade, Sep 20, 2012.

1. ObsidianBlade macrumors regular

Because if they were, I'm afraid that I might be making a bad decision by switching from Verizon, who they blew away in my test at the store. I live in the suburbs of Philadelphia btw.

2. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Verizon prioritizes coverage. AT&T prioritizes speed. Been that way for a while, and LTE is no different.

3. ObsidianBlade thread starter macrumors regular

Well I only get two bars of coverage from Verizon. Historically I got better coverage from AT&T when I had 3G. I'm just wondering if the speeds I saw at the AT&T store were real or boosted.

4. JLee361 macrumors member

I would definitely assume AT&T has a network cell booster in their store. But as for who's is better... I think it depends on your situation, location and frequency of use, LTE availability, and general customer service. Everyone's different, but I've always been an AT&T customer even before they merged with Cingular and have not had any major complaints. I have 2 grandfathered unlimited data plans (iPad 3 LTE and soon to be iPhone 5) and wouldn't give it up for anything. Especially my iPad since its uncapped and not throttled.

5. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

I've never seen a store boost coverage. I've seen some pretty bad coverage at stores actually. So it's real. You just don't know how far out it extends beyond the store area right now.

The HSPA+ is pretty darn fast too. Plus the whole talking + surfing at the same time thing (which is important for me in the car, getting TomTom traffic updates while talking on the bluetooth). I'd have a hard time finding a reason to switch to VZN right now.

6. ObsidianBlade thread starter macrumors regular

Well I've got one person saying that they definitely use a cell booster and one saying that they don't. That's confusing lol.

If they are, I'm pissed.

If not, I'm thrilled.