Lubuntu 16.04 Remix (updated)

wicknix

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
I would ignore the upgrade requests. This 12.04 remix is systemd-less and tweaked for good performance. Updating will probably break something since I shoehorned newer software in.

Cheers

Henrique Guidi

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2020
Ok, after some time trying to boot on linux using my iMac G4 800 (2002 model) with the humble NVidia geforce4 MX I found how get the X working....
1) boot usb1/disk@1:,\\yaboot (no big deal)
2)
Code:
live video=offb:off nomodeset single
3) wait "blind" for some time (the screen will be frozen but it's booting)
4) Press Enter key once (blind)
5) type 'modprobe nvidiafb mode_option=1024x768-16' (blind)
6) now you'll see the console 🍻
7) Ctrl key + D
8) startx
9) Finally there!

Attachments

Last edited:

wicknix

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Nice. Let us know how it goes. If 16 remix feels slow on 800mhz, give 12 remix or macbuntu a shot. They will be a bit lighter.

Cheers

Henrique Guidi

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2020
@Henrique Guidi Does native 1440x900 also work?
Mine is the 15'' model, so goes up to 1024x768. You will have to try...

Also, I was able to install 12.04 but with 8bit video for now.
After install you have to
1) sudo vi /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-framebuffer.conf
And comment (#) the nvidiafb line
2) sudo vi /etc/yaboot.conf
And remove "single" from the append line
3) sudo ybin -v
To update yaboot

Now I'm working on "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-monitor.conf" to have color depth to 16. And also struggling with AirPort that list all my wifi networks but can't connect to my open network that I'm able to connect using OS9...

wicknix

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Once in a while gnome-network-manager can be stubborn. If you can connect to ethernet, try installing and using wicd-gtk and see if that fixes the wifi issue.

Cheers

crammedberry

macrumors regular
I tried both the 12.04 remix and the 16.04 remix on my PowerBook G4 12" 1.33GHz. The 12.04 remix absolutely flies on this PowerBook, but I kept having graphics issues that I didn't have in 16.04 (mainly tearing, lower parts of windows and apps not showing correctly, and display elements missing on the bottom half of the screen). I found a xorg.conf file for the NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 in the iMac G5 and dropped it in /etc/X11 (you can create your own or you can copy it by opening the /etc/X11 folder as root under the Tools menu), but it initially broke my system and would only boot without a GUI, so I tweaked the xorg.conf parameters a bit for the PowerBook and managed to restore the GUI and fix all the issues I was having with the 12.04 remix (it also looks like this preserves GPU acceleration). I attached the xorg.conf file I used below. Hope it helps anyone else running into the same issues with the 5200.

Attachments

Reactions: wicknix

wicknix

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Glad you figured it out, and thanks for sharing the xorg.conf. Yeah. 12.04 remix is quite snappy on older hardware. No systemd, and I rebuilt a lot of software with some better optimizations. If you really want to see it zip along, toss it on a dual 2ghz G5 like I did. ;)

Cheers

crammedberry

macrumors regular
Glad you figured it out, and thanks for sharing the xorg.conf. Yeah. 12.04 remix is quite snappy on older hardware. No systemd, and I rebuilt a lot of software with some better optimizations. If you really want to see it zip along, toss it on a dual 2ghz G5 like I did. ;)

Cheers
Thanks for this! I was actually really surprised at how much difference GPU hardware acceleration makes under 12.04 compared to Mac OS X. I have a 1.67 PowerBook with every optimization I could find for TFF and IceWeaselPPC, and this slower PowerBook (1.33) is significantly faster under 12.04 in pretty much every way. Scrolling is buttery smooth in some sites that aren't too script heavy (something I hadn't seen on this PowerBook, well, ever), and I'm just running stock InterWeb without any custom optimizations and with only ηMatrix installed.

wicknix

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
It's amazing how bloated everything got OS-wise over time. Period correct kernels, libraries, toolkits etc make a huge difference. Anyway, enjoy. It really does give new life to these old machines when it comes to web related stuff.

Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.