Lubuntu 16.04 Remix

Hughmac

macrumors demi-god
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
Flawless install of 16.04 alongside Leopard on an iMac G5 2.0GHz ALS :)

I added cairo-dock from the package manager - however it crashes - is there a recommendation for another dock that works please?

Cheers :)

Hugh

Reactions: wicknix

timidpimpin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
Flawless install of 16.04 alongside Leopard on an iMac G5 2.0GHz ALS :)

I added cairo-dock from the package manager - however it crashes - is there a recommendation for another dock that works please?

Cheers :)

Hugh

I would start with docky. It's pretty popular.

Reactions: Hughmac

wicknix

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
I found mate, xfce, and even lxde too heavy for my g4 mini. Icewm is perfect. Needs a little configuration and customization but it's worth it. Boots to desktop using only 98mb ram.

Cheers

timidpimpin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
I found mate, xfce, and even lxde too heavy for my g4 mini. Icewm is perfect. Needs a little configuration and customization but it's worth it. Boots to desktop using only 98mb ram.

Cheers
I agree. My preferred GUI is Openbox actually. But this is really just a system to play around with for me, and I had never tried Ubuntu MATE on PowerPC, so I did. :)

Reactions: wicknix

wicknix

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
I created an IceWM theme based off of elements from 2 other themes and added an autostart script to load volume icon, network manager, desktop icons etc for Lubuntu Remix (or i suppose any other *nix as well). I prefer IceWM on my mac mini g4 as lxde/xfce etc do something that the Radeon 9200 doesn't like, and windows are laggy to drag. IceWM doesn't have this issue. It's also lighter on resources. Installation instructions are in the archive.

remix-icewm-theme.png

Cheers

Attachments

Frank Ciampa Champ

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2020
Maine
Hi Nice to meet you. I'm fairly new to macs but am learning quick. I'm having a problem with my g5 dual 2.0. I can't get the computer to read usb's or dvd's in open firmware. I tried your 16.04 remix step by step but it says "can't read device". It's driving me nuts. Have burned thru a dozen dvd's. Could this be an issue with the computer?? Why do I format with FAT when this is a PPC cpu?? Have tried a bunch of different things none work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Frank

wicknix

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Hi. You might have the downloads confused. There are 2 of them. What you want is the .iso, then burn that to dvd. Boot by holding down the c key when you hear the power on chime. Keep holding until it boots, then release the c key.

The FAT reference is if you want to make a bootable usb stick. Most people would use this method if their dvd drive is dead, or if they only have cdrom drives. It doesn't have to be FAT formatted, just a clean card with no other info on it. The instructions to make the usb are for use on Linux. MacOS and Windows use different commands/file paths.

Cheers