Lucky AT&T subscribers to get first Dual Core Phone with Tegra 2 in Late January

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aohus, Nov 19, 2010.

1. aohus, Nov 19, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2010

aohus macrumors 68000

FYI, This is NOT just another phone.

This will be the FIRST phone with dual core processor on AT&T. Up to now, all phones, including Android and iPhones, were based off of ARM Cortex-A8 processor (single core). FYI, just because its dual core, does NOT mean it will have bad battery life. In fact, dual core processors were engineered to reduce power consumption. You will be seeing dual core phones that are MUCH faster and efficient than its Cortex-A8 predecessors

Most premium smartphones coming out in 2011 will be multi-core ARM Cortex-A9 processor. This is a true next generation phone. For those that have been waiting for THE phone, this is the one. In fact, almost all premium smartphones will be MUCH better than its predecessors.

This phone will have for a fact:

• Tegra 2 processor
    • Dual core processor
    • Front Facing Camera
    • Gingerbread 2.3 (Android OS)

Tegra 2 slide (I assure you battery life will be out of this world good)
    [​IMG]

Evidence 1 (From Barron's)
    Evidence 2 (As of now, its on Froyo 2.2, but will be pre-installed with Gingerbread 2.3 on launch slated for late January)
    Code:
    OEM : Motorola
    Device : Olympus in preproduction
    Type : Phone
    Chipset : nVidia Tegra 2
    ABI : armeabi-v7a
    PRODUCT : olyatt
    FINGERPRINT : MOTO/olyatt/olympus/olympus:2.2.1/OLYFR_U4_0.145.0 /*********:userdebug/test-keys
    MEMORY : 837332 kB
    CERTIFIED? : NO
    UserAgentString : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.1; en-us; MB860 Build/Blur_Version.4.0.1450.MB860.ATT.en.US Flex/P013) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1
    Evidence 3 (twitter android device spy, was right before)

Evidence 4 (wifi certification)

Evidence 5 (From Digitimes)
    As an Android fan, I'm jealous. Just thought I'd share to all the AT&T subscribers on here.

2. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

3. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

2011 is going to be a hell of a year for smartphones and Android is going to lead.

4. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

Perhaps you should spread your lies elsewhere... :D

5. redbeard331 macrumors 6502a

redbeard331

I love how those that can tell the future spend on day on message boards, how do you know the iphone won;'t get one too next year?

6. aohus thread starter macrumors 68000

the next iPhone iteration will have ARM Cortex-A9 without a doubt. All premium smartphones will be dual core next year. I assure you of this, its just that the Motorola Olympus will be the first to have it, on AT&T at least.

7. anonymous guy macrumors 6502

Apple's the kind of manufacturer that sits and waits before they adopt the newest technology. I'm betting the iPhone 5 comes out with a more efficient, spec bumped A4 chip, with the iPhone 6 eventually getting a dual core chip.

Lots of Apple's computers are still shipping with old Core 2 Duos, and none of them have even adopted Blu-Ray drives yet.

8. zephxiii macrumors 6502

I am very interested in seeing that Tegra2 in action!

9. shriksworld macrumors newbie

Apple has been a first in many things too. da first one to start floppy drives and even stop it. da first one to adopt USB. and you dont even need drives nowadays with cloud based services spreading like fire.. and thats what they have done with MacAirbook. give it a couple of years, optical drives gonna disappear much like the floppy. and yeh, Apple has been the first one to define what a "Smartphone" should be like. So its a first where it should be, it cant be the first everytime.

10. djjeffroe macrumors newbie

No doubt!! That's why it took them how many years to even get into the mobile phone market......
    But..... once they got into it, you gotta admit, they changed everything!!!!

11. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

12. aohus thread starter macrumors 68000

ARM Cortex-A9 processor can go up to 4 cores. But that won't happen for another 2-3 years imo

13. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

I would be very surprised if Apple put a dual core in the upcoming iPhone.

Their strategy so far has been to update one year and THEN redesign to help defray manufacturing costs and give them more time for R&D.

This would be a particularly bad time for a redesign since they are planning to go multi-carrier.

Guess we will find out in 7 months

14. aohus thread starter macrumors 68000

That makes total sense. We will see yah..

15. Savor Suspended

Savor

Heard Qualcomm just revealed its next gen Snapdragon.

http://blog.wirelessground.com/android-dual-core-snapdragon/

One of the weaknesses of the first gen Snapdragon found on like the Nexus One was it used the 65nm process compared to the iPhone 4 with the more power efficient 45nm process. I expect the next gen phones will eventually have outstanding battery life that will last us days. I already saw a Cowon player with a proclaimed 100+ hours of audio. I am happy to see Motorola doing well again and it has a high satisfaction rating. One of its biggest weaknesses was software, but having Android along with Verizon's marketing helped revive them again. I was a fan of Motorola even in my pager days. Remember those? Hardware-wise, Motorola has always been very good being that they are the father of cell phones. Looking forward to their next phone using Tegra 2.

Check out the different chipsets in this thread -
    http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57621

16. PsyD4Me macrumors 6502a

PsyD4Me

get real