Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
54,486
16,567
Apple's San Francisco Apple Store opened this weekend.

Unique to this opening was the sale of Lucky Bags containing Apple products. The $250 bags were said to contain between $600-$1000 of products, but the contents were secret.

One reader posted about his Lucky Bags.

According to natekendrick, there were at least 3 variations of the Lucky Bags. All bags contained iLife, Keynote, .Mac subscription, 10% Discount card, Bluetooth USB adapter, Wireless Mouse, and a Wireless Keyboard. Beyond this, some bags contained an Airport Extreme, an iPod Mini or a 20GB iPod.

Photos of the Bag Contents.
 

JDOG_

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
786
0
Oakland
That's a lot of stuff for $250!

I'd jump on that deal in a second! Just the Airport Extreme alone puts the bag at around $200, not to mention the rest of the stuff! Nice work Apple....wish I was there!
 

punter

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2003
265
0
Australia
two ratings, one positive, one negative. If that negative voter would like to sell me their bag for $250 I'd do it in a flash
 

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
1,120
109
i'm one of those lucky SOBs...we had a blast staying up all night. the biggest prize, however, went to matt, our buddy who flew in from scotland just for the opening. found out about it friday morning in scotland, booked a ticket, and then was waiting in line by 8 pm friday evening in s.f. dedication.

my wife and i got the same bags...the airport extreme base station...we only heard of two bags with ipods in 'em. nevertheless, the anticipation and just the possibility that an ipod could be in the bag was worth it. most of the other stuff is on ebay now...and i figure things will sell for more than the bag cost...AND, i got to keep a few items for myself. thank you mr. jobs for my (free) airport extreme station and for two years of (free) .Mac.
 

leenoble

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2003
77
0
Bluetooth/Airport Extreme

I would have been disapointed with the AE Base station because it would mean I'd have to buy a new Mac to use its capabilities.
But the bluetooth adaptor would be useful since none of my Macs have BT.

I think there is a very limited crossover with those two products. How many Macs came Non-Bluetooth enabled but WITH Airport Extreme?

If you have an older Mac you can't use the Base Station (fully).
If you have a newer Mac you have no need of the BT adaptor.
 

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
1,262
0
East Bay, CA
My bag is also for sale on eBay. In addition to the bags, we met some really great people (kugino, for example). Best time I've ever had in a line.

Dan
 

Savage Henry

macrumors 65816
Macrumors said:
According to natekendrick, there were at least 3 variations of the Lucky Bags. All bags contained iLife, Keynote, .Mac subscription, 10% Discount card, Bluetooth USB adapter, Wireless Mouse, and a Wireless Keyboard. Beyond this, some bags contained an Airport Extreme, an iPod Mini or a 20GB iPod.

Photos of the Bag Contents.

I'm a reasonably cynical old duffer, but that doesn't sound like a bad stash, and I would have been happy with my 250 clam gamble.
 

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
1,856
165
London, UK
I actually said the bag would contain most of those things. Too bad I live over 8000 miles away. :mad:
 

Little Endian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2003
681
32
Honolulu
Great Promo!

That is what I call a promo! I would have bought a bag for $250 even if I did not know it's contents as long as the contents were valued between $800-$1000. That's the kind of Promo that Apple should offer at it's online Apple Store! Something like buy a new mac and receive the option of buying a Lucky Bag for $250 thru March 27, much better than the Epson Printer rebate and the Ram for less Promos that they are currently offering.
That would really get existing imac and PowerMacs out of the way for New releases next month.
 

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
1,216
0
NYC
punter said:
two ratings, one positive, one negative. If that negative voter would like to sell me their bag for $250 I'd do it in a flash

Feh! I voted negative. iLife? Free with new computer. Keynote? How many people really need Apple's version of PowerPoint? Wireless mouse? One button, totally worthless to almost all professional Mac users (of which I'm one), .Mac? You're kidding me right? Lackluster ISP if you can call it that, no dial up numbers, you have to have that separately. Bluetooth adapter? Uh... why? Not everyone has BT devices.

I was thinking these would be full of some actual electronic good swag, if you ask me these are bags full of things most people don't want/need, sounds like Apple was merely clearing inventory of things that can't sell. :rolleyes:

Now if I got a bag with an iPod Mini, I'd feel like I've scored, the other stuff would look nice... in my closet and/or not used.
 

lemurs

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2004
3
0
leenoble said:
I would have been disapointed with the AE Base station because it would mean I'd have to buy a new Mac to use its capabilities.

Hence the 10% off discount card! Easily saves you another $100-$500 on your next Mac, depending on how fancy you are.
 

AirUncleP

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2002
190
10
USA
lemurs said:
Hence the 10% off discount card! Easily saves you another $100-$500 on your next Mac, depending on how fancy you are.
I would bet there are restrictions on the 10% off. Anyone?
 

the_mole1314

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
774
0
Akron, OH
Photorun said:
Feh! I voted negative. iLife? Free with new computer. Keynote? How many people really need Apple's version of PowerPoint? Wireless mouse? One button, totally worthless to almost all professional Mac users (of which I'm one), .Mac? You're kidding me right? Lackluster ISP if you can call it that, no dial up numbers, you have to have that separately. Bluetooth adapter? Uh... why? Not everyone has BT devices.

I was thinking these would be full of some actual electronic good swag, if you ask me these are bags full of things most people don't want/need, sounds like Apple was merely clearing inventory of things that can't sell. :rolleyes:

Now if I got a bag with an iPod Mini, I'd feel like I've scored, the other stuff would look nice... in my closet and/or not used.

And you would rather use PowerPoint, or the ****ty Appleworks presentation sofware? I'd die for a bag like this! Keynote is part of my life now, the bluetooth keyboard is awsome, same with the mouse, even if it's one button. Don't forget about the Airport Base Station and the 10% off card too, that adds a lot to the bag.
 

Gravity

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2002
161
0
Chicago
re: pros and one button mice

Photorun said:
One button, totally worthless to almost all professional Mac users (of which I'm one)

I'm a professional mac user, and I have absolutely no problem using my Apple Pro Mouse (one button) for all my photoshop, illustrator, Indesign/Quark work. Doesn't bother ME one bit.

Don't lump all professionals together. Different strokes, you know?
 

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
16,568
0
AirUncleP said:
I would bet there are restrictions on the 10% off. Anyone?

I sure that Apple has put restrictions on its use. It will be interesting to fin out the particulars. I hope that it won't be just on one item like software. At least it should be on a new Mac.
 

Bob Knob

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
271
0
leenoble said:
I would have been disapointed with the AE Base station because it would mean I'd have to buy a new Mac to use its capabilities.

You do realize that AE is 100% compatible with any version of Apple wireless gear don't you...
 

FlamDrag

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2003
425
0
Western Hemisphere
I'd love to have a one-button mouse for casual home use to supplement my tablet use at work. I would have loved to get one of those bags. I own keynote, but other than that, it would not have been the least bit redundant.

However, for many mid-level mac heads and super mac heads I can see how the bags could have been quite a disappointment.
 

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
1,120
109
wdlove said:
I sure that Apple has put restrictions on its use. It will be interesting to fin out the particulars. I hope that it won't be just on one item like software. At least it should be on a new Mac.

according to the term and conditions of the gift card, it is good toward and one purchase at the store. hardware, software, accessories, etc. you just can't use it toward the purchase of a gift certificate. and it can't be combined with other promotions (so i'm assuming you can't use both the education discount and the gift card)
 

elo

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2003
140
0
Not to delve too deeply into the one-button vs. two-button debate, but as a point of fact, many design professionals prefer the Apple one-button mouse. (And it was designed with that group, NOT new/inexperienced users) in mind. Designers are and always have been a critical core of Apple's users, and many of them are after the best pointing tool, not necessarily the mouse with the most features.

As far as the bag goes, if you're itemizing the contents as one person did, then the promotion isn't for you. The point is to take a chance; not everyone "wins." If you don't want to spend your money this way, then don't. But some of us really like taking this sort of gamble. (If you *do* get an iPod mini, or even the AE base station, then you've really made a haul!)

elo
 

Omad0n

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2002
215
0
Seattle, WA
What an awsome promo. I could really use a close to free airport base station, as well as most of the otehr stuff. just wish I had been anywhere near the opening :(
 

MacFan25

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2003
1,624
0
USA
It seems like quite a deal at $250. I know I would be tempted to buy one if given the chance. :p
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.