Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alex2792

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
I love Nokia's design and would switch to WP 8 if only USAA would release an app (that ironically previously existed on WP 7!). This phone is simply gorgeous too bad it's not coming to T-Mobile :(

----------

I am getting it.

And coming from....a freckin iPhone 4.
(Although I also had an iPhone 5 the first 5 months this year).

Things that sold me :

The extra row of columns. Makes WP so much more practical.

Design, the battery 3400 mAh (!!!) which will guaranteed last at least a day, especially considering my type of usage.

The 4 microphones in video period.
As a music lover, the gigs phone has been for me the iPhone hands down for years, it was the lowest sound distortion phone in the market.
The Lumia 1020 already had 2-mics rich recording which was great and now they made it EVEN better.
Incredible from Nokia.
If you saw the keynote, there was the saxophone guy walking around the phone, and the sound recorded was 3D-like, not just stereo.

MicroSD card ! If by any luck I can squeeze in an 128gb card I will be the happiest guy on earth. But even "only" 64gb will do well.

The Smart Cover a la iPad is also a nice touch.

Wireless charging I still find it gimmicky but some people are fans of it.
Anyway, great phone overall.

So it took me 3 years to switch from the iPhone.
Even though I still find the iPhone to be the all-around best phone, Nokia simply created something which is better for ME.
And in a gorgeous design as usual.

Sorry, but metal is so 2011 :).

That battery will last more than a day! My Galaxy Note 2 could easily last me 2 days of moderate usage.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I miss WP8 so much, and the 1020/1520 have me drooling over it again. It's just the apps. I use the blackboard app for school constantly on Android/iOS. It's a major lifesaver for me. And it's not on WP8 and probably won't be any time soon. Same goes for my bank.

With the new iPads about to launch, I am seriously considering a cellular iPad for when I'm on the go and going back to a Lumia just for the amazing screen and camera. I was a huge fan of the live tiles too. A lot of people don't really get the live tiles, but if you take a few minutes to set them up your own way they become huge time savers.

When is the 1520 being released?

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2010
Love WP8 OS...just waiting for the right device and i am switching. The lack of apps are a non issue to me. 95% outside of the stock apps all i do is web browse on my phone so thats it.

Actually i am finally going to get a used 1020 most likely here in the next couple days to go along with my 5s.]

Oh, and i don't know wth microsoft/nokia was thinking going from a 4.5" 1020 screen to a 6" on the 1520...They should have made a 5"-5.5" device also

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana
Love WP8 OS...just waiting for the right device and i am switching. The lack of apps are a non issue to me. 95% outside of the stock apps all i do is web browse on my phone so thats it.

Actually i am finally going to get a used 1020 most likely here in the next couple days to go along with my 5s.]

Oh, and i don't know wth microsoft/nokia was thinking going from a 4.5" 1020 screen to a 6" on the 1520...They should have made a 5"-5.5" device also

They are releasing a 5" phone on Verizon, the Lumia 929. Unfortunately in the US the 1520 is AT&T only and the 929 is a Verizon exclusive. I'm very interested in the 929, but I wish the 1520 was at least an option for me.

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2010
They are releasing a 5" phone on Verizon, the Lumia 929. Unfortunately in the US the 1520 is AT&T only and the 929 is a Verizon exclusive. I'm very interested in the 929, but I wish the 1520 was at least an option for me.

ya i just switched back to AT&T after a couple years of Verizon, network has gone to crap here in New England over the last year, congested as hell.

Anyway...Said screw it and preordered the 1520 since the pre-order page went live again today. Free case and $50 app card included. I would have waited to try it out in the Microsoft store that's only about 15 minutes from me but whats the difference, plus if i keep it i can keep the pre-order freebies, if i don't like it I will return it. If i did end up liking it on the 22nd i would miss out on the free case and app card so it all works out :)

Screen is absolutely huge, the note 3 didn't really bug me at all regarding it's size, well maybe just a little. The main thing was Android and the screen sucked outside.

Last edited:

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana
ya i just switched back to AT&T after a couple years of Verizon, network has gone to crap here in New England over the last year, congested as hell.

Anyway...Said screw it and preordered the 1520 since the pre-order page went live again today. Free case and $50 app card included. I would have waited to try it out in the Microsoft store that's only about 15 minutes from me but whats the difference, if i don't like it I will return it. If i did end up liking it on the 22nd i would miss out on the free case and app card so it all works out :)

Screen is absolutely huge, the note 3 didn't really bug me at all regarding it's size, well maybe just a little. The main thing was Android and the screen sucked outside.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on the screen size after you get it. I was interested in the 1520 but I really think the screen is too big for me.

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2010
Ok so after hearing that the phone was in AT&T stores already as a demo i wen't to a couple stores in the mall that's close to me today, nothing in the AT&T stores. So i went to the official Microsoft store about 15 minutes from me and they had the 1520 right at the entrance to the store!

let me tell you this....WOW:eek:

- My biggest impression walking away from it? The phone feels smaller and better in hand than the Note 3 does, I couldn't believe it. The phone just feels great in hand and doesn't feel large at all.

- The screen is great as you would imagine, I didn't go to any websites or anything which i regret, just clicked through a few apps and checked out the camera for awhile. The camera was good it seems, the sensor didn't seem as big as my 5s's though. The guy at the store had me take a picture of the whole store and try to find the gnome afterwards which i did, he was trying to demonstrate how clear it was when you zoomed in on a picture, supposed to get a $25 gift card to the store if you found it. . This wasn't the best example as the gnome was about 75' away and looked pretty blurry when zooming in on the pic, of course the gnome was only about 5" tall so what do you expect. I didn't really take any up close shots of anything, just far away stuff of the store, which they looked very nice. The one time i used the flash it seemed very bright also, i could see it reflecting off people's skin about 15-20' away, this is in a very brightly lit store keep in mind.

All i could think though once holding it was that i finally found the phone that is going to get me away from iOS which i have been trying to do for a couple years now. The phone was very nice and i can't say enough how good in hand it felt. Time will tell though once i get it, but i think this "may be the one"

**EDIT**

Also, one other thing I found cool which i did not know about the phone was that it displays the current time, number of text messages, calls, voicemails and emails received on the screen when the screen is off. The guy at the store said it used no power, gotta use some i guess but can't be much if it is always on.

Last edited:

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana
Ok so after hearing that the phone was in AT&T stores already as a demo i wen't to a couple stores in the mall that's close to me today, nothing in the AT&T stores. So i went to the official Microsoft store about 15 minutes from me and they had the 1520 right at the entrance to the store!

let me tell you this....WOW:eek:

- My biggest impression walking away from it? The phone feels smaller and better in hand than the Note 3 does, I couldn't believe it. The phone just feels great in hand and doesn't feel large at all.

- The screen is great as you would imagine, I didn't go to any websites or anything which i regret, just clicked through a few apps and checked out the camera for awhile. The camera was good it seems, the sensor didn't seem as big as my 5s's though. The guy at the store had me take a picture of the whole store and try to find the gnome afterwards which i did, he was trying to demonstrate how clear it was when you zoomed in on a picture, supposed to get a $25 gift card to the store if you found it. . This wasn't the best example as the gnome was about 75' away and looked pretty blurry when zooming in on the pic, of course the gnome was only about 5" tall so what do you expect. I didn't really take any up close shots of anything, just far away stuff of the store, which they looked very nice. The one time i used the flash it seemed very bright also, i could see it reflecting off people's skin about 15-20' away, this is in a very brightly lit store keep in mind.

All i could think though once holding it was that i finally found the phone that is going to get me away from iOS which i have been trying to do for a couple years now. The phone was very nice and i can't say enough how good in hand it felt. Time will tell though once i get it, but i think this "may be the one"

**EDIT**

Also, one other thing I found cool which i did not know about the phone was that it displays the current time, number of text messages, calls, voicemails and emails received on the screen when the screen is off. The guy at the store said it used no power, gotta use some i guess but can't be much if it is always on.

That sounds pretty nice. I'm on Verizon, but I might go by an AT&T store and play with one.

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
I really wish that this phone was coming to Verizon. I spent about 20 minutes playing with it at the Microsoft store in Tyson's Corner today, and it is fantastic. It really doesn't feel as big as i thought it would. I hope Nokia announces the Lumia 929 soon as I am looking forward to ditching my Droid DNA.

GL

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I'm getting pretty excited about this. I'm thinking this will be a christmas present to myself. I have no beef with the other OS's out there, but I really want to embrace WP8. I don't feel I gave it a fair chance with the 920. I'm hoping Best Buy gets these in next week.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
The only way I'd consider Windows Phone is if Nokia made a cameraphone that beats Nokia 808 PureView.

alex2792

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
So I finally tried one at the att store, and it made me soil my tidy whities. I wish I could get it on T-Mobile since I vowed to never ever do business with att again.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
The one thing that's very encouraging about the 1520 is that is shows Windows Phone experience works well on different types of hardware, and the performance and scrolling is always first rate even on blah specs in the android world.

Here's to Microsoft ripping out the cellular radio and dropping the OS into 8" 1080p screen and selling it for $250. Call it the Surface Micro. I'd snap one up quick.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
Well, sounds like the launch is delayed. Some people's pre-orders slipped through but for the most part those who pre-ordered aren't getting them today. None of the Best Buy's in my area have any stock either. Oh well! The preliminary reviews on this beast have been great. I am eager to get my hands on one.

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana
I watched phonedog's unboxing on YouTube and I think the 1520 looks really good in white. If I was on AT&T I think I would try it out.

alex2792

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
I picked up a Lumia 925 today since I was curious about WP8 and so far I'm really liking it. The only annoyance is the lack of USAA app.

cameljockey

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2012
The only way I'd consider Windows Phone is if Nokia made a cameraphone that beats Nokia 808 PureView.

They did though.

Lumia 1020

Nokia-Lumia-1020-2ad.jpg

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I'd like to see where they go after the 1020 in terms of insane cameras. Yeah the 1520 is literally bigger and better in just about every way, but it's camera doesn't touch the 1020. I wonder if there will be a 1020 "2" or something of the sort.

Meanwhile I'd like to know what's going on with the 1520's. My pre-order with best buy is "in process" for days now with no option to cancel and no indication the phone will be in this week. When I check in store availability it says "5-7 days" but it's said that for 5 days now.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
I'd like to see where they go after the 1020 in terms of insane cameras. Yeah the 1520 is literally bigger and better in just about every way, but it's camera doesn't touch the 1020. I wonder if there will be a 1020 "2" or something of the sort.

Meanwhile I'd like to know what's going on with the 1520's. My pre-order with best buy is "in process" for days now with no option to cancel and no indication the phone will be in this week. When I check in store availability it says "5-7 days" but it's said that for 5 days now.

I have heard/seen rumors of how Nokia could possibly improve the camera in the 1020 in a reasonable (economically and engineering-wise) way in the next few years, here's my opinion on the matter.

It's important to note Nokia has invested in Pelican Imaging, a camera company that develops specifically for cell phones. http://www.pelicanimaging.com

What I think could happen in the next couple years:

-Add physical zoom. I think the idea of giving a huge photo and letting the user zoom in and crop whatever is a great idea, and it can still be used if needbe, but I think everyone that has used the 1020 can agree physical zoom on the camera is better.
-Increase camera speed. People that use the phone agree it can be slow at times to take photos. This would be fixed with faster CPUs and GPUs, which is an easy fix.
-Lose the hump. I think a lot of people would be satisfied if Nokia come out with a new 1020 with the same exact camera, without the hump. This would take some serious engineering, but could be worth it. In a weird way though, even though the hump takes away some functionality of the phone, it is solid advertising. It makes people know you have a phone that has a great camera.
-Increase amount of lenses/quality.

I bet Nokia has some new technology coming to camera that will be better than the 1020.

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2010
I have had my 1520 for a couple days now and love it... It is extremely hard to get out of the iOS ecosystem though..I keep switching back and forth between my 5s and the 1520. I can't really make up my mind.

I'll tell you another thing, once WP8 get's a real notification center and quick toggles(coming early 2014) it will have surpassed iOS IMO...The operating system is just butter. There are tons of useful features and it's not like Samsung where you will not use 3/4's of them. Really nice stuff.

The only thing i do not like about the OS is the capacitive buttons, but i can see how they are very useful compared to just a single button.

I have 30 days to decide though since i bought it full price :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.