Lurker took care of business today

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bigdrunk92037, Apr 17, 2010.

1. bigdrunk92037 macrumors newbie

I have been lurking here for 3 months following the Arandale update thread daily. Never owned an Apple product in my life. I like many others was somewhat disappointed with the update to the 13" MBP. After a week of going back and forth between a Sony Vaio with Blueray, i5 and hi-res monitor and the entry level MBP I said ***** it and entered the Apple store for the first time in my life to buy my first ever apple product; a MBP. The whole experience was bizarre in a cult like manner but I survived. After my first hour of messing around with the Macbook I began thinking I really blew it due to being overwhelmed. After watching the tutorials I feel much better and realize I made the right call. I now can understand how these Macbooks sell for a premium over their Windows counterparts. I have a lot to learn but I will get there.

Big question, how the hell to I play videos in Windows Media Format?

2. Wehrwolf macrumors 6502

Wehrwolf

Flip4Mac

Just download the free player and install the plugin.

3. jpefjr macrumors regular

jpefjr

Congrats on your new MBP. To play WMV files google Flip4Mac. It's a plugin ate allows you to play windows media files. The player is free but if you want to create wmv on your Mac you'll have to pay for it.

4. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

5. markp9114 macrumors member

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes, but Flip4Mac lets Quicktime play WMV videos and Quicktime is GPU accelerated.

7. bigdrunk92037 thread starter macrumors newbie

8. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

perian is also worth downloading. it allows quicktime to play a ton of file extensions, helps with playing things in the browser. etc...

http://perian.org/#detail

9. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

Are there players that will play the typical mkv-wrapped anime? I use the CCCP for Windows to get the subtitles, etc.

I realize that *.mkv is a wrapper; and no I do not know what they use internally.

10. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

VLC plays my .mkv files flawlessly.

Though I also have Perian installed so I'm unsure whether it's down to that or not. :)