Lutheran Church Abolishes Antigay Policies

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Apr 21, 2010.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Wow! I have to give credit where it's due! Good job Lutherans! This is huge!

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2010/04/21/Lutheran_Church_Abolishes_Antigay_Policies/

2. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

This is good but not surprising. The Missouri Synod is the more traditional/hardcore counterpart.

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Regardless, this is great news. Let's hope some other denominations follow suit.

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Figures the Missouri Synod (whatever the hell a synod is? I guess it's like a branch or a division?) would be the more bigoted ones :rolleyes:

Definitely great news though. Maybe the Missourians will come to their senses.

5. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

The really cool thing is that they are moving to reinstate people who were previously dismissed. That's truly amazing.

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

7. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

This is nothing surprising considering last years adopted resolutions. I'm a Missouri Synod Lutheran and believe that these moves are unacceptable in the Lutheran Church for many reasons.

8. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I would not call them bigoted but Missouri Synod rules are different and their interpretation of script is a little difference.

Another difference Missouri Synod and ELCA does not allow for Women pastors.

As for the Lutheran Church there are 3 main divisions that run complete separate of each other and in the running of it share nothing more than the name. The Missouri Synod is the largest, ELCA is the next largest and the smallest is Wisconsin Synod. The Wisconsin Synod is the most conservative and has the strongest rules. I know very little about Wisconsin but I know women are not allow in any part of its leadership. ELCA is the most liberal of the 3.

No that would be the Wisconsin Synod. Missouri Synod is larger than ELCA and yes more traditional.

9. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Well, I guess you'll just have to live with it. You have no power over them, do you?

And just what are these "reasons"? Are you perhaps afraid that more denominations may do the same?

10. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

Synod basically means "walking together." The Lutheran Church Missouri Synod (LCMS) has its roots from German settlers in and around Missouri. Here is a brief history of the Synod itself: http://chi.lcms.org/lcms/synod150.htm

There is a Synodical convention coming up for the LCMS this summer in Houston. One of the major points on the agenda is discussing a formal name change.

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Good, I hope they change the name and get Missouri out of it. The fewer organizations giving my home state a bad name, the better.

12. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Changing the name to what, and why? Over gay people? Are you serious?

Wow- we're a powerful bunch. ;)

13. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

No :). The name change would primarily be due to the fact that the Synod has a presence in all 50 states. Missouri being in the name is just a carryover from its founding in the mid 1800's.

14. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Then what does a name change have to do with this issue? And can you answer my other questions?

15. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

The ELCA has made some moves over the years which are inherently non-Lutheran in nature. One example was when the ELCA signed on to the Joint Declaration on the Doctrine of Justification, which was hailed as this great mending of the Lutheran Church with the Roman Catholic Church.

The dirty little secret about that whole deal is that Rome still affirmed the Council of Trent which completely rejects the primary core of Lutheran belief, Grace Alone by Faith Alone.

16. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I still don't understand what that has to do with doing away with anti-gay policy.

17. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

The name change comment was commentary as part of my response to yg17's question asking what the heck a Synod meant. Sorry, I should have quoted.

18. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

OK then, how is getting rid of anti gay policies bad for the church or "unacceptable" to you?

19. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Born and raised Missouri Synod Lutherine.

Jerks. I think I need to have another talk with my pastor about how backwards our church is.

20. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

You go, boy. :)

21. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

After the Obama "thing" with his former pastor, my pastor gave a sermon and it dealt with gays. I cornered him afterwards, and then attended the catachysm class (sorry for the spelling), and told him it was WRONG to sermonize against gays. It got heated, and I lost my temper.

Equal is equal. God wanted us all to come to him as little children. You are equal to me, and we are both equal to our neighbors. WTF happened to my religion.

22. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

The Missouri Synod HQ is in St. Louis (actually is on my way to/from work) in case you want to give someone higher up a piece of your mind ;)

I'm not sure where in IL you're from, I don't think any part of IL is more than a 5 hour drive from here :p

23. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Nice step... it's a nice touch to have a Dr. Love speaking about the news, too. Well played. :)

24. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

Well, the bible is pretty clear about homosexuality. Romans 1:24-27, Leviticus 20:13, and 1 Timothy 1:9-11 all condemn it. Whether or not homosexuality is wrong from a non-Christian standpoint is beside the point. If one is going to consider themselves a Christian, shouldn't they follow what the Bible says?

25. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Mormons (edit) claim to be (/edit)Christians and some of them were for polygomous relationships. Do you presume to speak for all Christians? If not, then maybe you should realize others have interpreted the same bible differently.\

(edit) I'm from the Hollywood club about 10 minutes from downtown. I work the 3rd stage on Thursdays. You should come visit.