Lying under oath

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jpietrzak8, Jun 10, 2017.

1. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

In his press conference on Friday, Trump did something that pretty much everybody expected him to do: he called James Comey a liar. This is standard operating procedure for Donald Trump; he always insults, defames, and otherwise seeks to destroy anyone who he feels is attacking him. But a Slate piece from yesterday brought up a new wrinkle, something that, perhaps, Trump has not had to deal with before:

Donald Trump just accused James Comey of lying under oath.

This is a serious charge. Perjury is a federal crime. You can go to jail for committing perjury. What if people start demanding that Trump back up his charges, and actually take Comey to court? This puts Trump into a bind -- he'll either have to come up with some excuse and back down (thus letting a person he "believes" is a perjurer go free), or to double down on his assertion, and actually try to prove that Comey lied (which, of course, will mean that Trump himself will have to find some proof that Comey lied; and I'd love to see him do that).

Maybe, finally, Trump will be cornered into a "put up or shut up" position. The world has always allowed him to get away with his endless bullying to get his way; but perhaps the justice system can finally give this petulant child a spanking for all the crap that comes out of his mouth.

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Trump is a loud mouth moron , if this bites him in the butt then so be it. But I do not see it happening

3. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Lying under oath didn't seem to bother Mrs. "I never sent an classified data".

The only person I can remember getting busted for lying under oath was Martha Stewart, thanks to James Comey.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

And bill Clinton.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 10, 2017 ---
    Calling comey a liar while HE was under oath is far different than calling comey a liar while TRUMP is under oath. So liberals are stretching things So glad she lost :D

5. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Hmm. Hillary Clinton's attempt to hem and haw about her e-mail server pretty much cost her the election, in my opinion. If she'd been perfectly open about it, I think she'd have won. (Similarly, her husband's attempt to lie under oath got impeachment proceedings started against him.)

But yeah, the problem here is that Comey didn't lie under oath. Trump (and his cool-aid drinking followers) may want to believe that he did, but it's pretty obvious to any rational observer that Comey knew the facts, and reported the facts exactly how he knew them. He worked so diligently to record the facts, it'd be hard to see how he could even twist them into a lie at this point. And in any case, all that he said about Trump fits exactly into the public persona Trump has displayed for decades, so I don't understand how Trump can believe anybody would think Comey is lying.

Trump better hope there are tapes, and that those tapes reveal something about Comey's testimony that is in error. Otherwise, his charge of perjury is going to rebound back at him.

6. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Then let Comey bring a civil suit against Trump. It's that simple.

Btw, just a technical point, lying under oath and perjury are actually not always the same.

On a separate topic, did Comey actually testify earlier that he never leaked anything and then testified this week that he did?

7. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Er, for what? Defamation? What charge would you bring against the president?

I don't recall him ever testifying about leaks before...

8. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Comey leaked memos in hopes of an investigation, he could sue to try to get trump to perjure or make him retract. Or he. CAn just accept he lied :D

9. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

If Comey has a problem with Trump saying he lied under oath then his recourse is civil court to sue for damages. Yeah, I suppose it would be liable or slander. I don't think it would go too far though.

10. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Comey turned his well respected rep into **** stained underwear.

11. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I guess I'm not understanding the premise of the thread.

Comey is the one claiming something (that Trump told him to drop the investigation into Flynn)...

how is the burden on Trump to prove Comey is lying? Isn't that the point of this hearing?

12. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

These guys like to stack the deck against Trump. They can't seem to handle the fact that he is president.

At this rate I expect to see threads asking if "comb-overs are grounds for impeachment" in the coming months.

13. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Yeah, I think we've really come to the point that reactions to the things that he says and does are a little out of whack. And I believe most of it is driven by the fact that people hate him.

Personally, I don't like him. I don't trust him either. I'd have no problem with Pence taking the reigns. But I'm not going to toss all objectivity out the door because of my dislike for the man.

14. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

It's a mob mentality now. The lefties whip each other up into a frenzy.

15. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

That's not a criminal charge. Comey is, at this point, simply describing the way that the President has treated him. Nothing in that treatment has been, in any direct manner, criminal. However, it certainly is suspicious, both to Comey and to many others.

What? The point of this hearing is that Trump fired Comey under questionable circumstances, made even more questionable now that we've heard Comey's side of the story.

That however has nothing to do with the accusation of lying. Trump throws these accusations around like popcorn, he calls practically everyone he meets a liar at some point -- but this time, he's accusing Comey of lying while he was under oath. That's a much more significant charge; and it may be that he'll have to retract that accusation, if he doesn't want to back it up by formally charging Comey with it in court. After all, it looks bad to accuse someone of a federal crime in a press conference that gets broadcast around the world, and then do nothing about it...

16. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Seriously, that is friggin' Pavlovian!

Absolutely no previous mention of her, no allusions to her, yet you brought 'Mrs. I never sent an classified date' without hesitation. That's scary!

17. Zenithal macrumors 68040

18. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

So first, Trump can't charge anyone with anything. He's not law enforcement.

Secondly, saying that Comey is "simply describing the way he was treated" is a very...interesting take on things with Comey effectively saying that Trump interfered with an FBI investigation.

Having said that, yes, his interactions with Comey do seems suspicious...which, again, is one of the things this inquiry is attempting to sort out.

That's not the purpose, that's a take-away. The point is to get the details on the circumstances of Comey's firing as part of the investigation into the whole Russia thing. So again, unless he's called to testify, he doesn't have to prove anything right now.

At this stage, he can say anything he wants. What matters is what he says under oath if it comes to that.

19. samcraig macrumors P6

Trump is a liar. That's not a partisan issue. And should be of great concern throughout his Presidency.

20. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Me either, not now. He should shut up though. He's going to impeach himself. Not now but after awhile when he disappoints the people still supporting him (and the GOP looks at those polls), then they pull out the tweet tracks and the press conferences and interviews and line up what looks good for it and write up impeachment articles. "Not now" is not exactly an insurance policy for this guy.

I'm sure his WH counsel and personal counsel have implored him to shut up. I guess you can't command the prez to shut up. Lot of good it would do with this guy, he's like a puppy hasn't even been paper trained. He pees on the floor and you approach him and he wags his tail and licks your hand because he's so happy you noticed him. You pick him up and he pees on your shirt because he's so happy you love him. God almighty. A puppy okay, the prez of the USA, please give me a break.

21. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Seriously? She's the most famous person in recent memory to lie under oath. So when a post or thread mentions lying under oath she is going to come up. We don't exist in a vacuum. All these different people and events effect one another.

22. Zenithal macrumors 68040

On the brightside, more time to spend with the grandkids.

23. JayMysterio, Jun 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2017

JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

I believe that's on your well stated personal belief she lied under oath, but was never formally charged. So in recent memory ( vivid I might add ) to you she is the most famous person to have recently lied under oath. The fact though is whether you like it or not, it's a personal belief of yours which affects bias, that she is guilty of proverbially anything mentioned in any thread and you'll throw her out there almost pathologically.

Given that, it's kind of funny to hear you get on others for getting whipped up into a frenzy about 45.

24. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Neither is Comey. He's unemployed.

Exactly when and how did Comey say that? Comey might have felt uncomfortable, might have believed that Trump was acting in a shady manner, but Comey never had any proof that Trump interfered with an FBI investigation. Because if he had proof before he was fired, he was in a position to do something about it.

And so, all he can do now as an ordinary citizen, is make known his suspicions, knowing that by themselves they are not enough to be used to charge Trump with anything.

Well, but that's the point: accusing someone of lying under oath is a new twist, completely outside the question of "the Russia thing". Trump's always thrown around insults with impunity; he's never had to back any of them up before, so far as I know. But if he digs in too deeply on this latest insult, he just might find that he cannot easily extract himself from it without paying a price. And I would just love to see that happen.

25. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Comey's press conference last July was 100% factual proof that she lied under oath. There is no way around it. She stated unequivocally under oath that she did not send any classified data on her server and Comey revealed that to be false