M.I.A. - Born Free

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by FrankieTDouglas, Apr 28, 2010.

1. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

So, M.I.A. has a new video out. Youtube has managed to bury it pretty deep on their site, but has not deleted it.

The video itself is more of a short film, depicting a world where military-type forces drive around apprehending redheads from their homes and taking them to a desert camp. There is no explanation in the beginning and no answer in the end, but the scenes could speak to a number government assault on certain demographics of its population.

I watched it with particular interest, considering I spent a year creating a cinematic photography series about redheads, telling a story of a future where redheads fight back against red discrimination in the world. That project can be found at http://www.redheadalliance.com

Check out M.I.A.'s video at the link below. It's definitely worth a look. Fair warning, there's a few intense scenes of violence in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE9rUHDXRFI

And in case it does get pulled from Youtube, it's also available on vimeo...

http://vimeo.com/11219730

2. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

The video was awesome. MIA is definitely a provocateur, and like any art you can gleen whatever you want from it, like a mirror.

3. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

I've seen this before and it's rather disturbing. Well done though. I think the whole "ginger" thing has gotten out of hand.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Interesting that the British-sounding soldiers have US flags on their sleeves... nice video.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Really? Redheads are my favorite. My only complaint is that there aren't enough. :) All male redheads may feel free to move to my house if people are giving them trouble. ;)

6. gibbz macrumors 68030

Personally, I found the visual message powerful and the song god-awful.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Not the best from MIA in recent memory, musically, no. :p

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Well, are the redheads in the video cute? Now I'm all excited. :)

Oh- and loved your website, OP. Awesome. Now I'm not gonna be able to focus on work all day. ;)

9. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

lol. ;)

But to the original topic, I don't see the video to be extremely disturbing. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if something like that happens in the US some day. (Actually, history has played this scenario several times).

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

11. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I have a favorite redhead too--my niece. If she is a fair representation, then I think any redhead purge would involve long exposure to the sun. :eek: She was burnt to a crisp during her last visit to Florida.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

The sun is not kind to redheads, that is true.

13. 184550 Guest

NT meet Google, Google meet NT.

14. 184550 Guest

So I guess MIA is trying to say the US is the big bad guy in Foreign Affairs since the soldiers have American Flags on their uniforms and the city is obviously LA? Video alludes to resistance movements by the IRA and Palestinians. Does the title 'Born Free' allude to the fact that people born in western, industrialized countries are always free, while people born elsewhere in the world aren't?

Seems like she trys to tackle too many issues and doesn't focus on any one issue that well for the viewer to understand.

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

That's a very gross generalisation.

16. 184550 Guest

I'll agree that it was a generalization.

Perhaps I'll explain it further:

Is she referring to the fact that those who are born in, say, the US or Western Europe are more free than those who are born in, say, China, Iran, Iraq, Africa, etc...

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm not sure that's the point that's being made. This is just my interpretation, but to me, I saw the ephemeral nature of freedom. The people who get rounded up in the video are an arbitrarily chosen group, who would not have seen as "outsiders" without someone making them into this (like what may have happened in Rwanda, where there may not have been Hutus and Tutsis before the occupation). In a state which is highly militarized but does not have mechanisms to protect its freedoms, they aren't able to defend themselves once they start getting rounded up. I think the point is that freedom may have been eroded (or never existed) in places like her ancestral Sri Lanka, but it can also be destroyed, if we are not careful, in places like the UK or the US.

18. FrankieTDouglas thread starter macrumors 65816

Today while getting ready to play golf, I lamented on this whole sun problem due to being redheaded. I had to apply a thick layer of SPF 90 sunblock on my face and neck, and then used the spray sunblock at SPF 100 on my legs and arms. Twice during 18 holes.

I've experienced some horrendous sunburns in my day. In fact, talk to a random redhead, any redhead, and they all have at least one specific sunburn story they could instantly share.

By the way, thanks for the comment on the website.

As for the song and video, some commented on liking one but not the other. I agree. The song is so-so... she has much better music out there. "Bird Flu" is a personal favorite. For this video, it serves almost as background music for the video. I forget it's even a music video.

19. ethical macrumors 68000

I liked the video, it was an excellent metaphor. Do I think something like that would ever happen to redheads specifically? Absolutely not.

20. bamaworks macrumors 6502

I'm fairly certain the video had nothing to do with redheads at all.

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm sorry, but that busload of redheads in the video was like a dream I've had before. :) It had a happy ending though. ;)