M Theory

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Huntn, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Maybe this has been discussed here before, but if you are not familiar, this is pretty cool. I've read about it before but recently was exposed to this 5 part video. Each part is about 9 min long. In a nutshell: 11 dimensions, unlimited parallel universes. Based on this physicists and cosmologists are working on a unified theory of the space around us, what we usually call the universe may in fact be the metaverse. So how many universes can you fit on the head of a pin? ;)

Very interesting ramifications for theists, spiritualists, and atheists. Yes?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7SDrj4Tjvk

For anyone who gets into this String Theory Simplified maybe of interest.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I love stuff like this. It's so interesting, but at the same time has the effect of making one feel extremely small in the grand scheme.

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

We're all small even if you only include earth, a nation, a state, or even a town in your surroundings. Its together any of us can do anything big.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Communist. ;)

5. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

The complexity of everything is truly amazing and mind boggling.

6. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Avoid the Total Reality Vortex on Frogstar World B, it will present you with such a complete perception of your insignificance that you will end up in a padded room.

7. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

We are small, but we are participants in the system. :) When I look at celestial images it puts me into an extreme case of awe.

[​IMG]

celestialimage.com link

8. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

9. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

There are new ones coming out all the time. In fact, because of the Infinite Crisis and the resulting 52 Earths of the Multiverse, and the numerous heros that have their stories documented, there are probably at least a dozen each week.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_DC_Multiverse_worlds
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiverse_(DC_Comics)
    http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Multiverse

Release dates here: http://www.dccomics.com/dccomics/

10. RaceTripper, Jan 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2011

RaceTripper macrumors 68030

:D You realize this thread isn't about comics, right? It's about cosmology and unification physics (i.e. science and reality).

11. RaceTripper, Jan 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2011

12. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

True, but at the same time it's pointless. It's like the ever on-going argument about whether there's reality or we imagine everything. In the end, it doesn't make a difference.

13. citizenzen macrumors 65816

The difference is that this isn't merely daydreaming and is an attempt to scientifically understand what many think to be unknowable. I'm sure it took Newton's theory of gravitation many, many years before it made any difference in the real world. But it did pave the way for later technologies and the more advanced knowledge that we have today. Likewise, M Theory will have to weather the tests of time and science and may prove one day to be as groundbreaking and meaningful as Newton.

14. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Yup, scientific discovery and search for knowledge is pointless and makes no difference. Let's all just settle down to an Alzheimer's mode and retire to a total vegetative state. :p

15. InsanelyApple macrumors 6502

InsanelyApple

Then you should read those books. I have and I have to say that they are some of the best books I have read about Physics.

16. Mactrillionaire macrumors regular

As interesting as M theory is, science cannot handle questions like "What causes the physical world?" Sure, science can tell us "how" the physical world operates, but not much more than that. Now, I'm not a big fan of religion, but I still feel there is something lacking in the X=undefined (according to science) then physicality. I'm just not comfortable with that conclusion unless there is some explanation for why it should be accepted other than science can't give any answer about it.

17. RaceTripper, Jan 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2011

Actually, science has a pretty good handle on what caused the physical world (i.e. how did earth come to be). Life is still a problem for science to explain, but geologically, there is a great deal that is understood (including how the elements for the construction of earth were formed: short answer = previous suns fusing lighter elements + supernovae fusing heavier ones).

18. Mactrillionaire macrumors regular

That isn't what I meant. We use science to determine the rules of physicality, but science cannot explain why those rules of physicality exist in the first place.

19. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Actually, it not only can, it does. Read God: The Failed Hypothesis by Victor Stenger. In one chapter, he points out that homogenous equillibrium is by its nature unstable, and that is a description of reality's putative precursor void. Things which are smooth and even and consistent have a natural tendency to change state (lose those characteristics). Hence, nothing became something because it had to. Physics in this realm is perplexing and disorienting; otherwise, it would be too easy.

You see, there is a theory that if anyone ever discovers why this universe is here and what it's for, it will instantly be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable; there us another theory that states that this has already happened.

20. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I don't see why not. That's what cosmology and quantum physics are in fact trying to discover. Just because science hasn't yet answered those questions doesn't mean it can't. Nothing else is going to do that.

21. InsanelyApple macrumors 6502

InsanelyApple

You mentioned, yet, another great book!

22. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Watched the videos. String theory is always fascinating, the M Theory aspect is also cool. I'm always struck with the same feeling after watching/reading about this stuff though... "Wow, even our best and brightest don't know a damn thing about who we are or where we came from."

23. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Based on what I've seen so far, you have a better chance of getting a concrete answer through science, then you ever will get by creating a one sided conversation with an imaginary friend. :)

24. Mactrillionaire macrumors regular

No, God isn't what I meant, either. For a more salient example, consider this: If the only tool you have to work with is a hammer, every problem looks like it involves a nail even if it is really a screw and a screwdriver is required. The point is that we can only attempt to understand reality in terms of available conceptual frameworks. Now, I am certainly not discounting science as a valid empirical framework. However, to not express my reservations about its demonstrable limitations when it comes to investigating reality itself would be too out of character for me to dogmatically support a physicalism bias with a straight face, even in jest.

So, in summary, rules are rules and explanations are explanations, but science offers no explanation for rules, only understanding of rules. Therefore, for it to claim to describe reality completely, even if not for the hidden knowledge problem, such a claim still wouldn't stand up to rigorous analysis.