M7 chip - how will it affect fitness apps?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Italianblend, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

So, I was wondering, how is the M7 chip going to improve the way we use fitness apps? Will it have something to do with heat rate monitors, or will it be more like a built-in pedometer? I am not sure I understand what it's all about.

2. Azy macrumors regular

My understanding is that when the phone is used to detect movement like when you're running etc. it can use this separate chip and will just be stored there not having to utilise the main A7 chip until you're phone is woken up and ready to use... Ultimately meaning it's no going to drain your battery when you're using your pedometer

3. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

True, it will use far less battery which will be nice. For example, I currently use Strava when I run. Yesterday, I went for a 3 hour and 45 minute run in the mountains (where reception was poor to non-existent) and it took my iPhone battery from 100% to 21%. I expect huge battery savings with the M7 chip.

However, personally, I think it's a lead-in to things to come when Apple eventually releases a watch. That is where the M7 will start to really shine...

Bryan

4. Italianblend thread starter macrumors 68000

Italianblend

Right, but I am using mapmyride, and I would think that while I'm recording a run, it's using the main chip as well. Because it needs GPS data while you're running or biking and calculating miles, slopes, listening to music, etc.

The phone isn't actually asleep when I exercise. So, how is that going to help?

5. Densi macrumors member

Do we have any information from Apple if GPS is in or out of M7?

6. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

3hour and 45 minutes?! You should have no trouble staying ahead when the zombie apocalypse comes.