Mac App Store: Beginning of the end of sync in iTunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ipedro, Jan 6, 2011.

1. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

With the introduction of the Mac App Store, there now seems to be a new logical place to build sync of iDevices into.

iTunes started off as a music app, evolved into a music store, then other entertainment media and finally apps. The latter makes no sense in iTunes.

I'm going to speculate that the Mac App Store may evolve into a consolidated app store with different tabs for Mac/iPhone/iPad. The next logical step would be to use it as a central place to sync all your iDevices.

Discuss :)

2. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

[​IMG]
    I fully agree. Get rid of the iOS app store from iTunes for Mac users.

3. gsmumbo macrumors regular

gsmumbo

That's what'll stop it from happening. Unless Windows gets the App Store too, then I doubt they will segment it and have the App Store handle it in OS X and iTunes handle it in Windows.

4. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

The Mac App Store started off as an app store, evolved into a Mac/iPhone/iPad App Store, then other iPods and finally syncing all your iDevices. The latter makes no sense in a Mac App Store. :D

j/k

5. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

An App store App could be released for Windows but lack the Mac Apps tab. Windows users would still be able to browse and buy iPad/iPhone/iPod apps. They'd also sync their devices with this app.

Since you're joking, I'll just assume you realize that comment made no sense :p

6. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Or even better, just keep the iOS app store in the windows version of iTunes.

7. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

I guess they can do that but then there would be little consistency between iTunes for Mac and the one for Windows... and the idea here is to get iTunes back on track as a media app, not a do everything app.

They wouldn't have difficulty getting a high adoption rate. All those hundreds of millions of people with iOS devices would be prompted to install the App Store when a new iTunes (sans App store) and App Store for Windows were released simultaneously.

I think this is a logical next step and I don't see any real impediment to it happening sooner or later.

8. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

itunes was meant to be a store for your ipod. it also sync that stuff to it. as ipods got more stuff itunes got it too. then the iphone is an ipod phone and the ipad just fits in too. it make sense for itunes to do what it does.

9. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

Actually, it does. Why should a "store" sync your devices? Makes no sense. A store is to sell things and nothing more. Give me an independent app to handle syncing. It makes sense how it all ended up in iTunes, since it started as an added feature, but with all the devices and software out now, I think it's time to make syncing it's own spin off app. One app syncs all (music, video, photo, calendar, etc.) - to eliminate separate syncs built into the main apps themselves. This would streamline things for us - we can use iTunes, Calendar, etc. without having to stop and sync after each one - simply sync once at the very end.

10. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

It makes complete sense.

The iTunes Store was created to sell iPods.

Apple wants people to buy content from them (Music, Videos, Apps etc.).

They want the users of iPods and iPhones to be FORCED to use the software that sells these things.

Remember, the store came AFTER the devices did!

11. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

Then why not just build the Mac App Store into iTunes? It already hosts all the other stores (music/tv/movies/Apps).

Apple deliberately built a separate application to sell Apps. I believe that we'll see it become a Universal App Store, at which point it'll become the logical method of syncing iOS devices.

12. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

... on the other hand, the point is moot. At the latest, in 2 or 3 years, iOS users will not need to sync their devices to a Mac or PC. Syncing in of itself will not be necessary as all your media will be stored in Apple's cloud. You'll be able to buy an app/movie/music on your Mac or PC or iPad or iPhone and each device will instantaneously have access to it. Therefore, a syncing mechanism in iTunes or the App Store application will be unnecessary.

Further, as more and more people adopt tablet like computers, PC's and Mac's will become more of a professional content creator. It'll seem more intuitive for a consumer to buy their apps or entertainment directly on the device where they'll be consuming it, not on a dusty PC sitting unused in the home office.

13. JohnSFO macrumors regular

JohnSFO

I love my iPad, but give me that "dusty PC" anyday. My iMac is still king.

I don't get why people dislike iTunes. It's such an organized dream. You just plug in your device and it fills it up for you. I don't mind having apps in there either and was actually a bit disappointed that I now have another place (Mac App Store) to check for updates.