[Mac App Store] Introducing Yoink - take the drag out of drag and drop

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by m.gansrigler, Apr 9, 2013.

1. m.gansrigler macrumors regular

m.gansrigler

Hi,

My name is Matt, I'm the developer of the Mac apps flickery, Transloader and ScreenFloat.

Although it's been on the Mac App Store for quite some time, I never actually posted about Yoink here, so I'd like to do that now ;)

[​IMG]

When you start dragging a file or content from an application, Yoink fades in a tiny window on the edge of your screen so you can drag to it.
    This frees up your mouse so you can comfortably navigate to the destination of the drop and resume the drag from Yoink's window.

Yoink is available on the Mac App Store for $3.99 - https://itunes.apple.com/app/Yoink/id457622435?mt=12
    A free 15-day trial is available for download here (direct download).

I posted a few promo codes for Yoink here on MacRumors.

Enjoy :)

2. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

I've been using it for quite a while.....not sure where I first heard about it, maybe Lifehacker or Gizmodo....and paid full price for it - so I'm not a shill for the developer. Great little app - never had any issues with it.

3. vladobizik macrumors 6502

Hi Matt. I bought your app when it was on sale for $1.99 and have been using it ever since. A very good and useful tweak for OS X which makes dragging and dropping (especially while working with full-screen apps as I often do) a breeze. It's out of the way when you don't need it and ready to help when you do. Why not? :) I strongly recommend it. I'm also not affiliated with the developer in any way.

The only thing I miss is Yoink appearing when dragging something from a Dock stack (such as the Downloads folder). I know there is a keyboard shortcut to force it to appear, but it's a hassle to learn and mentally automatize another keyboard shortcut.

4. m.gansrigler thread starter macrumors regular

m.gansrigler

I know... I hate that, too. But there's a technical reason for it.
    The Finder and most other Cocoa apps use the standard clipboard for drags, named 'NSDragPboard'. Yoink has access to that public, standard clipboard and therefore can react to drags happening in those applications.

The Dock (as well as iTunes and a few other applications), for a reason unknown to me, uses a private clipboard with a unique name unbeknownst to Yoink. Hence it does not know about and can not react to drags on it.

That's why I put the keyboard shortcut in there, to go around the private clipboard.

I am sorry for the inconvenience. I keep looking into different solutions but have yet to come up with one that works as well as the keyboard shortcut.

5. pavl macrumors newbie

Thanks for your hard work, I've been using it for a while and almost every time I'm not on my own computer I get reminded of how useful it is.

6. m.gansrigler thread starter macrumors regular

m.gansrigler

7. vladobizik macrumors 6502

Wohoo. The new update now makes it able to drag from the Dock stacks. Awesome, thanks a million for the hard work and finding a way around the problem :)

8. m.gansrigler thread starter macrumors regular

m.gansrigler

That's right, I was just about to post about it - I'm very glad you like it :)

Yoink 2.4 now recognizes drags from the Dock's Stacks and iTunes 11, improves general recognition of drags with almost all apps and fixes a few bugs.

Yoink Mac App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/app/yoink/id457622435?mt=12
    Yoink 15-day Trial: http://www.eternalstorms.at/yoink

Enjoy :)

9. m.gansrigler thread starter macrumors regular

m.gansrigler

10. m.gansrigler thread starter macrumors regular

m.gansrigler

Yoink 2.5 now available

Hi all.

I've updated Yoink to version 2.5 recently, here's what's new:

- Files can now individually be pinned in Yoink so they don't disappear when dragged out
    - The list of "ignored apps" can now be inverted to a list of "allowed apps"
    - Better handling and recognition of drags
    - A contextual menu for opening files with compatible applications and revealing them in Finder
    - No more linen!
    - Many small improvements and bug fixes

Yoink on the Mac App Store ($3.99): https://itunes.apple.com/app/yoink/id457622435?mt=12
    Yoink 15-day free trial: http://eternalstorms.at/yoink/Yoink.zip

I hope you enjoy Yoink - be sure to let me know if you have any feedback - thanks :)

11. m.gansrigler thread starter macrumors regular

m.gansrigler

Yoink 2.5.1 now available

Hi, all.

I wanted to let you know about a minor update for Yoink that fixes a few annoyances like not being able to drag out of Yoink's window.
    It also improves recognition of drags.

Yoink on the Mac App Store ($3.99): https://itunes.apple.com/app/yoink/id457622435?mt=12
    Yoink 15-day free trial: http://eternalstorms.at/yoink/Yoink.zip

As always, I hope you enjoy Yoink and if you have any feedback - please don't hesitate to let me know!

-Matt

12. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

13. dianeoforegon macrumors 6502a

dianeoforegon

Yoink automatically updated for me on Jan 11, 2014 to v 4.1.2.

Great app. Easy to use and a big time saver.

14. m.gansrigler thread starter macrumors regular

m.gansrigler

fhall1 - perhaps it automatically updated? If you select Yoink in Finder, it should show you its version in the preview pane.

dianeoforegon - thank you, I'm very glad you like it :)

-Matt

15. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

I'm running the Mac App Store version and when I just checked the "About" info using the menu bar icon it says "Version 2.5.1 (24)" ....and going to MAS says 2.5.1 is the latest. I guess the MAS and online version numbers are not in sync and I am running the latest available to me.

Seeing those numbers...is the non-MAS version really two major versions ahead of the MAS version?

16. m.gansrigler thread starter macrumors regular

m.gansrigler

The current version of Yoink is 2.5.1 (24) (both the demo and the Mac App Store version).

I can't tell where dianeoforegon's 4.1.2 is coming from - it's definitely not Yoink, though ;)

My apologies for the confusion.

-Matt

17. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Thanks for the response Matt....no need to apologize - obviously dianeoforegon was looking at some totally different app.

18. inselstudent, Jan 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2014

inselstudent macrumors 6502a

This sounds very useful, wil try it out once I'm back home. :)

edit: just got the trial version and I must say, it does seem quite useful. just don't have to drag that many files at the moment, haha. will see how it works for me. 3.99 is a steal though

19. m.gansrigler thread starter macrumors regular

m.gansrigler

Thank you for giving it a try. If you have any feedback or questions, don't hesitate to write me :)

20. inselstudent, Jan 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2014

inselstudent macrumors 6502a

Yeah, there's one thing. I was thinking of having a keyboard shortcut to add selected files to the Yoink window, so you get rid of the whole first part of the drag action. What do you think?

Edit: well, and when you've added a file/some files to yoink you could reassign the same keyboard shortcut to paste the file(s) to another folder that's open and in the foreground. But that would be like cut&paste then...

Edit: ah great :)

21. m.gansrigler thread starter macrumors regular

m.gansrigler

Yoink comes with a shortcut that you can modify in System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Shortcuts -> Services -> "Add selected files to Yoink" (by default: control-option-command-x) and it will add the currently selected files in Finder to Yoink.
    Hope this helps!

-Matt

Attached Files:

22. m.gansrigler thread starter macrumors regular

m.gansrigler

Yoink 2.5.2 is now available

Hi.

It's me again with another update on Yoink - version 2.5.2

This update fixes the following nasty bugs:
    - Fixed a bug with color palettes
    - Fixed a bug where some applications (e.g. CleanMyMac, calibre) would not recognize drags from Yoink)
    - Fixed a bug where Yoink would fade in/out inappropriately
    - Fixed a bug where items appeared greyed out when they shouldn't have been

Yoink on the Mac App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/app/yoink/id457622435?mt=12
    15-day Demo of Yoink (direct download link) http://eternalstorms.at/yoink/Yoink.zip

If you have any feedback or questions, please be sure to let me know here or by mail :)

All the best,
    -Matt

23. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

Thanks for the update.

24. dumb4ever macrumors newbie

Just found out about Yoink,

Just want to know if the regular price is $3.99 or $4.99 ? I've looked around the web and the price seems to be $3.99.

Any sale or discount anytime soon ?

Thank You