Mac application best to use to rip CD for use on my "non" iphone smartphone?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Doctorsti, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Doctorsti macrumors regular

Basically I have an Imac and a new CD that I want to make mp3's for my Droid X. I don't know if itunes allows this and if it does I have absolutely no idea how to do it.

Any help on how to make itunes do what I want or if there is freeware that is also just as good.

2. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

iTunes will encode mp3.

iTunes>Preferences>General>Import Settings>Import Using: MP3 Encoder

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

This ^^ It's the easiest way I know of to do it. I think most smartphones play .m4a files as well, which is what iTunes uses by default

4. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

What about starting iTunes, selecting "Preferences" from iTunes menu, and having a look around?

5. Doctorsti thread starter macrumors regular

What about just helping someone out if you know and they don't... You know what my next patient that comes to my clinic I'll tell them to just open an anatomy book and "look around." Obviously I looked around I would like to think I gained some genuine problem solving skills with my doctorate... :cool:

Now for the two posters that aren't God's gift to the forum when I encode files using iTunes I thought they were tied in with the "mac" system of devices. I thought that is how Mac keeps tabs on it's "property." Do I have to change the target for the encodings, and if I do that do I still have access to them through itunes and have them sync up with my ipod touch for when I am home?

6. UpDownAeroplane macrumors member

try XLD or max. both are good programs for ripping CD's without using itunes (both are superior for ripping cd's too). XLD allows log files too with the rip.

7. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

You've been listening to too many detractors. There's no "Mac" system of devices anything is tied into. MP3 in iTunes and MP3 sitting on your desktop are the same thing. You can, in fact, rip your CD's directly into iTunes as MP3's, plug in your phone or memory card (assuming it just pops up on the desktop as many do now), and drag your music directly from iTunes to that card. No tracking, no special formats, etc.

It's really that simple.

jW

8. Doctorsti thread starter macrumors regular

thats the answer i was hoping for. i'll go into finder now and do that, thanks.

Update: yeah basically it's a no brainer. spotlight searched for album name, dragged and dropped folders with MP3's and the itune AAC or whatever... they all showed up and played perfectly. thanks for the help, I'm glad it was something a 5 year old could do, I hate being frustrated by things that sound simple.