Mac Choices… Help!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Stetwin, Sep 7, 2007.

  1. Stetwin macrumors 6502

    Stetwin

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2007
    Location:
    England - Co-Durham
    #1
    After looking at Mac’s and wanting a Mac for a long time now I have finally decided to go with a Macbook over an iMac (I know the new iMac’s look awesome and are really tempting but I feel that I will enjoy having the portability over the big screen, and i can always hook the Macbook up to my 26" TV if i need to).

    So after mentioning about purchasing a Mac at the end of October to my parents they have offered to give me the money upfront so if I wish I can buy one today, my only draw backs are that if I wait until the end of October I might be able to get leopard and also a free iPod (if the iPod offer ever comes to the UK) and I wont owe any money out. Also I have agreed to sell my existing PC at the end of this month which means if I decide to buy at the end of October then I will have to go without a computer until then.

    So what would you guys do? Buy now and owe the money out and chance missing out on leopard and a free iPod or hold on for the sake of a month and a half and buy it near the end of October?

    /Ste
     
  2. Stetwin thread starter macrumors 6502

    Stetwin

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2007
    Location:
    England - Co-Durham
    #2
    Oh and while were on which iPod would you go for out of the new line up, at the moment I have an iPod Mini but I mainly use my k810i phone as my mp3 player (because its more convenient), I don’t need a huge amount of storage though so the iPod Classic isn’t what I want/need and the shuffle is too small so that leaves the choice of the iPod Nano at £130 or the iPod Touch at £200
     
  3. BennyK macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2004
    Location:
    Appleton, WI
    #3
    I'd say buy now, you could sell the ipod if you didnt need/want it and pay for 10.5 with that money, or keep the ipod and get 10.5, that is what I would do
     
  4. CalBoy macrumors 604

    CalBoy

    Joined:
    May 21, 2007
    #4
    Since I don't live in the UK, I have to ask you, when does the iPod deal normally start in the UK? If it has historically begun in late September, then I'd say that you're safe selling off your PC by the end of the month and then buying your macbook. However, if the sale begins in October or later (again, historically), then you might want to hold off on selling that PC. Can you do this? Does the buyer want it by October? If he/she can wait two or three weeks longer, then this might be the best solution in the event that the sale begins later than expected.

    However, this also depends on your parents. Are they going to offer you the money whenever you decide to buy? Are they saying, "the money is good now and only now?" If not, then what's the rush? Getting that free iPod can feel sweet; believe me, I waited quite a long time before I could buy my mbp and Nano, but it was worth it.

    Lastly, I would get the iPod Touch. It just seems so much better and cooler. Plus, it can serve as a PDA (assuming you need one).
     
  5. Stetwin thread starter macrumors 6502

    Stetwin

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2007
    Location:
    England - Co-Durham
    #5
    The iPod deal has normally started in the UK by now so its late compared to last year, the buyer wanted the PC at the end of last month so I’ve already put them off for one month and couldn’t ask them to again,

    Well there offering me the money now because I don’t get paid my overtime until the end of October, once it’s the end of October I will have my overtime pay so wont need to loan any money to buy the Macbook and iPod

    Yeah it would be nice to have a PDA as well as a music device so I think the iPod Touch might be the iPod for me, although I would like to see one in person before I buy it, shame the closest Apple store is about 3 hours drive away :’(

    /Ste
     
  6. CalBoy macrumors 604

    CalBoy

    Joined:
    May 21, 2007
    #6
    Yeah, I guess you'll have to sell it soon. I suppose getting the macbook soon won't be so bad. Maybe Apple isn't doing the deal this year in the UK, because they don't want to clear out the new models; there would be no point in giving away brand new models for free. I'd say you're pretty safe buying one now (macbook).



    Ahh...well, then buy the macbook now, and then when you get your overtime pay, get the iPod:p

    Alas, I went to an Apple Store near me, and they weren't there yet. I think we have to wait another week:(
     

Share This Page